Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP Model Y Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know why the LFP Model Y RWD acceleration is so slow compared to other models? Is it software limited, if so does anyone know why? I own this model and it is slow until you got 30+kph and then it picks up dramatically.
Well there is a few reason really.

* First of all is a Model Y with just one rear motor only

* LFP battery pack equipped Tesla is a bit slower VS Tesla with a equipped NCA battery pack.
2021/2022 Tesla Model 3 SR+ 0-100 is 6.1 seconds
VS
2017/2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+ 0-100 is 5.6 seconds

* 0-60 times varies depends on at the time battery charge level, road conditions, wind, tires, weight of the car (with or without cargos)
any one of these reason can hinder the speed.

Upvote 0
Well there is a few reason really.

* First of all is a Model Y with just one rear motor only

* LFP battery pack equipped Tesla is a bit slower VS Tesla with a equipped NCA battery pack.
VS

* 0-60 times varies depends on at the time battery charge level, road conditions, wind, tires, weight of the car (with or without cargos)
any one of these reason can hinder the speed.
Thanks for the response. Makes sense, just thought it was odd that once it hits a certain speed the famous Tesla acceleration becomes very noticeable, really takes off. My thought was why at 0 to 30km/h was it not the same. Perhaps I’m not familiar with the limitations of battery technology.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. Makes sense, just thought it was odd that once it hits a certain speed the famous Tesla acceleration becomes very noticeable, really takes off. My thought was why at 0 to 30km/h was it not the same. Perhaps I’m not familiar with the limitations of battery technology.
I notice the car 0-60 is more responsive and noticeable is not just stomping on the accelerator but instead heel to toes press. Not sure if that make any sense lol

The least effective is not letting the battery warm up first. And try 0-60 when you have 2% battery left.

But overall have fun with it and be safe!

Upvote 0
But wouldn’t that mean the acceleration would be the same no matter what speed? The difference between 0-30km/h and 30-80km/h is substantial.
It takes a lot more energy/power to move a car that is standing still. That’s probably why the boost once it’s actually in motion. Again, plain physics. Something like when most electric scooters need the initial push

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
The acceleration will be at its peak when the motor torque is at peak (1 gear). For the Teslas, the acceleration tends to be flat (and at peak) from 0 to 45 MPH or so. At this point, the motor(s) are power limited, not torque limited, and the acceleration slowly drops off as speed is further increased. There are many draggy graphs on this site that show this. If the car doesn't accelerate as hard from 0-30 as it does from 30-60, it's software, not physics limiting it.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0
The acceleration will be at its peak when the motor torque is at peak (1 gear). For the Teslas, the acceleration tends to be flat (and at peak) from 0 to 45 MPH or so. At this point, the motor(s) are power limited, not torque limited, and the acceleration slowly drops off as speed is further increased. There are many draggy graphs on this site that show this. If the car doesn't accelerate as hard from 0-30 as it does from 30-60, it's software, not physics limiting it.
Tbh that’s what I was more leaning towards. All the teslas I know have an insane acceleration from 0 onwards, this would be the first model I have heard that only starts going hard after it reaches a certain speed. Software limiting the acceleration would make more sense, I don’t know if it’s to protect the LFP or a choice to differentiate the RWD from long range and performance.

Upvote 0
VS
Just a quick point of clarification, the 2018-2019 (maybe even more recent) Tesla Model 3 SR+ was 0-100 in 5.3 seconds, before Tesla downgraded those numbers on their website.

Upvote 0
Just a quick point of clarification, the 2018-2019 (maybe even more recent) Tesla Model 3 SR+ was 0-100 in 5.3 seconds, before Tesla downgraded those numbers on their website.
To add on to that.. my Model Y Standard Range does 0-100km (60mph) in 5.3 seconds. Why is that important? Because it weighs about 350lbs MORE than the M3SR+ and still produces exactly equal acceleration. Seems like the motor is capable of much more acceleration.. so its either battery or software holding back the MYSR LFP acceleration to 6.9 seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eren Yeager
Upvote 0
It takes a lot more energy/power to move a car that is standing still. That’s probably why the boost once it’s actually in motion. Again, plain physics. Something like when most electric scooters need the initial push
That's backwards. Power is speed times force (or in rotational units, rpm times torque). So getting any given amount of acceleration takes more energy starting at higher speed. As MY-Y said above, most Teslas are torque-limited up to maybe 45 mph, and above that they're producing the maximum power they can, so the torque goes down linearly with speed.

Upvote 0
I asked in the store about the acceleration of the RWD. They told me that the LR AWD in chill mode takes 7-7,5 sec so if you want to compare make a test drive with the LR and make sure to drive in chill mode;-)
Furthermore it is only "slow" till approx 30 km/h. Looks like software to me.

Upvote 0
LFP batteries are lower energy density so it's just simple physics.. it has less power so will be slower.
Energy density has nothing to do with power. Energy (kWh) != power (kW).
The reason LiFePO (LFP) battery pack cars are slower is because Tesla designed them that way.

LFP cells have less peak current capabilities (amps) than NMC batteries. Take a look at the datasheet of a raw LFP cell vs NMC cell. They can only typically discharge at 1C, vs NMC cells can discharge at 2-3C or higher.
It has the same issue with charging as well (1C vs 2-3C), which is why LFP cars supercharge slower.

Also, the voltage curve for LFP is different.
LFP = 2.50V (min) - 3.65V (max).
NMC = 3.50V (min) - 4.20V (max).

So for a given number of battery cells, the total pack voltage of a LFP battery pack will be lower than NMC.
Lower voltage (V) * lower peak current (A) = even lower power output (kW) available to motor.

To compensate for the battery pack lower power output, Tesla could've added more cells ($$$) to boost the voltage to 450V+. But they decided to keep a similar design from NMC rather than re-engineer the pack. The result is a low system voltage of closer to 350V when full.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does anyone know why the LFP Model Y RWD acceleration is so slow compared to other models? Is it software limited, if so does anyone know why? I own this model and it is slow until you got 30+kph and then it picks up dramatically.
Simple answer to you, it probably is a software limited. I'm living in the other parts of the world where LFP is dominating the market, there are more SR (LFP) than LR Y in the market. I have a 2021 SR Y which in the spec sheet said 0-100 is 5.6sec vs LR is 5.0. People here think that there is almost no difference between the performance and range (455km vs 523), charge to 100% vs 90% most of the time. However, Tesla also noticed it and tuned the no. down to 6.9sec for SR in 2022. That said, it is a software limited but not any physics or any other technical reason.

Reactions: Dbergeeke
Upvote 0