Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LG Bolt - Chevy Bolt made in Korea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Samsung is expected to bring 500km range battery by 2017 and 600kc by 2020, I understand it's just projection based on what Samsung claimed but there's no certainty in Tesla's claim either. And from what I found, Panasonic's battery is not very sophisticated one that requires larger space to put it in and heavier, but cheaper, because it's the most widely used, which might put limitation on the shape of the vehicle as well as size.
And here's the buried detail...
..... Samsung SDI has also secured a deal with Audi to provide batteries for their long-range SUV (rated at 500 km on an unknown test cycle – although we assume it to be NEDC) so for sure Samsung is raising the bar.
It's almost certainly NEDC based on other reports on the Audi.

Samsung SDI Presents Batteries That Enable 370 Miles (600 km) Of Range At 2016 NAIAS

Samsung is expected to bring 500km range battery by 2017 and 600kc by 2020, I understand it's just projection based on what Samsung claimed but there's no certainty in Tesla's claim either. And from what I found, Panasonic's battery is not very sophisticated one that requires larger space to put it in and heavier, but cheaper, because it's the most widely used, which might put limitation on the shape of the vehicle as well as size.
So yes in the short run, Tesla can benefit from producing cars with cheaper battery but in the long run others using more sophisticated ones will benefit because they don't have to cut on the size of interior volume and such...and Panasonic's battery is not good to environment as much.
The article is completely devoid of details. You have to understand, it's completely possible to make 500 km or 600 km range batteries using even lead-acid. Saying something is a "600 km" battery doesn't shed any light on the actual capabilities of the battery cells.

Currently Tesla is using batteries with around 270 Wh/kg on the cell level and around 175 Wh/kg on the pack level. That's pretty much the best anyone has been able to do in a commercial product. Tesla is starting cell production at the new Gigafactory later this year, which wil coincide with a change in format from 18650 to 21-70. This format is the format that Tesla has determined is the best bang for the buck in the near term. And with improvements in chemistry and packaging, Tesla should have battery cells with 300-330 Wh/kg and battery packs with something like 220 Wh/kg. The exact specs remains to be seen, but it is quite apparent they will have substantial improvements in the near term, both gravimetrically and volumetrically. On top of their already substantial lead.

But the fact is that price is even more important than energy density. Batteries today are already good enough for 500 km realistic range, with workable weight and volume. Everything is pointing towards Tesla having the cheapest batteries for the overseeable future.

Last edited:
Okay, I googled a bit: Looking forward to the Samsung Lithium-ion Battery Enabling 600 km Range – Electromobility News

The specific energy of Samsung 60 Ah prismatic batteries can be around 130 Wh/kg (which are being used in BMW i3 right now). The 2017 i3 may use the 94 Ah batteries to get to 120 miles. Then the specific energy of the 94 Ah batteries could be around 190 Wh/kg.

Samsung has a roadmap to go to 250 Wh/kg by 2019. This time stamp matches the production of the battery for 600 km. Moreover, 250 Wh/kg is about 30% more than 190 Wh/kg.
Basically, Samsung has plans for making batteries that are about 90% as good as Panasonic's current batteries, in 2019. (Of course, Tesla benefits greatly from using sylindrical cells where most other car companies are using prismatic cells. Cylindrical cells have far better energy density.)

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G and GoTslaGo