Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LG E5D Battery charge speed increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like a hidden benefit of 2021.40.6 is an increase in SuperCharging speed for the LG battery in the LR Chinese built cars. Florin on his ZEF Electric channel has been documenting SC sessions for a while now. It looks like the BMS is now allowing the battery to get hotter than before and he has shown a 10-25kW increase in power across a charge. Good news…

I’ve had 180ish in the summer, but nothing higher. To get the really high speeds needs a long precondition and arrival with a SOC in single figures. However, it’s not really headline rate that matters here, it’s staying above 100kW for longer, up to 55% now I think, but is holding a higher rate throughout the charge compared with before.

Reactions: Adopado and btc1k
Tried it today and it was definitely faster. Max charging speed was only 128kW at 21% but I only pre conditioned for 20 minutes from cold. After that it held the charge rate better than before even taking 60kW at 80% which I have never seen before. Overall it took 45 minutes from 21 - 96%.
0BEF5565-F74F-4F9C-856B-3F54D5A0B3E6.jpeg

Reactions: Burley and Nick77
It looks like a hidden benefit of 2021.40.6 is an increase in SuperCharging speed for the LG battery in the LR Chinese built cars. Florin on his ZEF Electric channel has been documenting SC sessions for a while now. It looks like the BMS is now allowing the battery to get hotter than before and he has shown a 10-25kW increase in power across a charge. Good news…
Thank you for distributing my video. People need to understand indeed that this is not about max speed increase but a consistently higher power between 10-80% - the comparison of the charging curves clearly shows that. The peak charging power I’ve seen on this car was 257kW in the summer of 2021 at 2% SOC - also documented on my channel ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for distributing my video. People need to understand indeed that this is not about max speed increase but a consistently higher power between 10-80% - the comparison of the charging curves clearly shows that. The peak charging power I’ve seen on this car was 257kW in the summer of 2021 at 2% SOC - also documented on my channel ;)
No problem - Hadn't realised you were on here, Florin, pleased to know that. It's been really helpful to have your series of videos on the charging speed changes over this year. Hoping to try out a SC over the Christmas period, will be interesting to see how it has changed.

No problem - Hadn't realised you were on here, Florin, pleased to know that. It's been really helpful to have your series of videos on the charging speed changes over this year. Hoping to try out a SC over the Christmas period, will be interesting to see how it has changed.
I appreciate your feedback and I’m happy to hear someone finds useful my recorded charging sessions (they are not so popular and for some reasons get a high level of dislikes). Enjoy the updated charging curve on your car - please confirm when you get the chance to validate the same.
Stay tuned for more interesting materials.

Reactions: Burley
I release this is an older thread, but I am from Canada and we are now exclusively receiving the MIC LG battery Y's and 3's. Question for our European friends: Has there been any further improvement in the charge curve for the LG batteries? Thanks.

I release this is an older thread, but I am from Canada and we are now exclusively receiving the MIC LG battery Y's and 3's. Question for our European friends: Has there been any further improvement in the charge curve for the LG batteries? Thanks.
Probably some gradual improvements but the obvious improvements after Dec 2021 were discharge rates which Tesla improved to allow Acceleration boost to be purchased and then started to use the same pack for the M3P and MYP in Europe.

Worth asking in this thread as this is where all the testing/discussion takes place.

Reactions: 4point9
I've not really noticed further improvements since the updates mentioned here, but if it is the same pack, I see 250kW charging speeds if I'm at less than 10% SOC and preconditioned first, its about 150kW at 30% and the rate stays above 100kW til after 50-55%, then ramps down. It still pulls over 50kW after 80%, 40kW at 90%, so its fast enough for most long journeys and much better than it was before the update.

One thing I have noticed more recently is it starts pre-conditioning a long time (up to an hour) before the SuC destination - it shows the message on screen intermittently, so I get the sense it is slowly heating the battery up and seeing how driving is also adding to the battery temperature, instead of a 15 minute full on blast before arriving. What I've seen more recently is a message telling me the battery is cold and its pre-heating it at the SuC despite this long run up to the SuC. That is somewhat irritating, but I don't know if others are seeing this too.

Reactions: 4point9
I've not really noticed further improvements since the updates mentioned here, but if it is the same pack, I see 250kW charging speeds if I'm at less than 10% SOC and preconditioned first, its about 150kW at 30% and the rate stays above 100kW til after 50-55%, then ramps down. It still pulls over 50kW after 80%, 40kW at 90%, so its fast enough for most long journeys and much better than it was before the update.

One thing I have noticed more recently is it starts pre-conditioning a long time (up to an hour) before the SuC destination - it shows the message on screen intermittently, so I get the sense it is slowly heating the battery up and seeing how driving is also adding to the battery temperature, instead of a 15 minute full on blast before arriving. What I've seen more recently is a message telling me the battery is cold and its pre-heating it at the SuC despite this long run up to the SuC. That is somewhat irritating, but I don't know if others are seeing this too.
Thanks for all the great info and charge speed points. I have the early build 2018 long range RWD 3 with a Panasonic pack but have been thinking of trading to a Y.

Probably some gradual improvements but the obvious improvements after Dec 2021 were discharge rates which Tesla improved to allow Acceleration boost to be purchased and then started to use the same pack for the M3P and MYP in Europe.

Worth asking in this thread as this is where all the testing/discussion takes place.
Thanks for the great info and the link to the master thread. Very helpful.

Tesla was keep on adjusting some rules for termal management for "better efficiency". I monitor my car with SMT and I noticed the car is ussing less the stators for battery pre-heating which could be an explanation why it takes longer. On the other hand, I noticed occasionally that after pre-heating is cooling to pre-heat again. Generally it works fine but honesltly, lately I try NOT to preheat before SC for few reasons:
- On long journeys the car will bring the temperature of the battery to 25-30 celsius anyway;
- My long joiurneys are most of the time with the family and if charging too fast, the car is ready before we ae ready and that is annoying;
- I believe "Limiting" somehow the +200KW charging peaks will help the battery life.

Somehow, all these 3 elements they combine well for me and charging speed is not a main deciding factor for me as long as between 10-80% takes 30-45 minutes.

Reactions: Burley