Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plates Delayed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a new TeslaY September 24th, 2021. My temporary license expires in just over 2 weeks time and therefore in view of this I called the CA DMV to get an update only to learn from them that they do not have completed documents and therefore informed that until they receive this information from Tesla (who needs to refile the docs or contact DMV), I will not receive my license plates and title.

I reported this to my local Tesla facility and talked to a sales associate as Tesla does not have any customer service personnel, who informed me that I will have to wait until the temporary license expires and that I should not be in contact with DMV. I emailed her back and reported what DMV had told me however there seemed little that she could do about it. I purchased this vehicle from Tesla in good faith and paid $56,000 including registration and taxes. If there was a glitch somewhere between Tesla and DMV, this should not be my issue. I would certainly expect a higher level of service from a luxury brand like Tesla.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

I purchased a new TeslaY September 24th, 2021. My temporary license expires in just over 2 weeks time and therefore in view of this I called the CA DMV to get an update only to learn from them that they do not have completed documents and therefore informed that until they receive this information from Tesla (who needs to refile the docs or contact DMV), I will not receive my license plates and title.

I reported this to my local Tesla facility and talked to a sales associate as Tesla does not have any customer service personnel, who informed me that I will have to wait until the temporary license expires and that I should not be in contact with DMV. I emailed her back and reported what DMV had told me however there seemed little that she could do about it. I purchased this vehicle from Tesla in good faith and paid $56,000 including registration and taxes. If there was a glitch somewhere between Tesla and DMV, this should not be my issue. I would certainly expect a higher level of service from a luxury brand like Tesla.
Hi, I had also got delivery of my Tesla 3 on sep21, have still not received registration and dmv plates

Same here, purchased mine in the 1st week of August. I call them 3 weeks ago and they said that my form had an error and was rejected by DMV and that they would send me another one. You think they would have let me know that? They never resent it and are now asking me to go into the store. My temp plates expired a month ago.

Same here in Illinois! My plates expire in 5 days. I've talked to folks throughout Tesla, when they actually answered the phone. I am pretty sick of their "I don't give a *sugar* attitude." I paid Tesla and have nothing. Even if I was willing to pay for the registration again I can't register the car myself because Tesla has the paperwork. I hate this aspect of the delivery. They have the responsibility to get the plate and oe of the accountability. Based on my overall customer experience with the delivery of this car I would never buy another Tesla. I can't even sell the one I have because I don't have any damn paperwork! Screw Tesla.

I ordered personalized plates for my MY back in June. I called the California DMV yesterday, and they said no movement has been made on them as of yet. Not sure if they're backed up, or just don't have enough people.

I also took delivery 9/30, nothing came in so far. I submitted paperwork for the carpool sticker on 11/6 only got it returned this week saying there's there's no paperwork of registration under my name whatsoever...Calling DMV right now to see if what they will tel me :mad:

Edit: so just finished calling DMV, and the person informed me they have just finished the registration paperwork yesterday, so perhaps Tesla didn't send in the paperwork right away being one and when they received my application there was nothing on file, but in any case at least it's done and hopefully I'll be receiving the plate soon!

Last edited:
I had something similar: two months after purchase of my new M3, Tesla called me up and said there was a “problem“ with the CA DMV’s electronic system, and I would need to sign paper copies of the handful of state forms required by the DMV to register the car and get my CA registration and plates. They overnighted me the paperwork, I filled it out and overnighted it back to them (Tesla paid for that too), and a few days before my paper tags expired, I finally got official plates (including stickers) and registration card. Certainly not happy about the delay - I had to resubmit my carpool lane sticker application - but amazingly enough, Tesla didn’t jerk me around, and maybe it really was the DMV’s fault.

Took delivery 09/27 and never received my permanent plate either. Contacted the DMV a few days ago and they said Tesla started the process/paperwork in October but never finished it. Tried contacting my SA and local showroom but never heard back yet.

Same in Virginia. Two days ago my temp plates expired. I was told first that there is a nationwide problem affecting timely registration of all vehicles, not just Tesla. Today Im told the dealership has my plates and will mail them. "Sorry for the inconvenience."

So typical of some businesses--all responsive and friendly till they have your money, then they couldn't care less.

Same in Virginia. Two days ago my temp plates expired. I was told first that there is a nationwide problem affecting timely registration of all vehicles, not just Tesla. Today Im told the dealership has my plates and will mail them. "Sorry for the inconvenience."

So typical of some businesses--all responsive and friendly till they have your money, then they couldn't care less.
Every state DMV is a separate entity so claiming a nationwide problem sounds like a made up lie. Not a good look for your Tesla branch.

Our MY was delivered on Thanksgiving (25-Nov-2021) and the dealer registration form was in the car in a FedEx envelope. It was delivered to Tesla on 29-Nov. New York allows 90 days on a temp. registration but Tesla used about 45. I called the DMV yesterday and was told the paperwork was incomplete and I should call Tesla. Tesla sales escalated it to the NYS Registration Group (and the said every state has such a group) and that group told me it would sent "soon". Since it takes the DMV 6-8 weeks from when they get the complete paperwork "soon" is irrelevant. Fortunately in New York there's a group that handles complaints against dealers and repair shops and when I send them a complaint form with a collection of photographs they'll issue a new 90-day temp. registration.

Tesla's "reason" was that they batched the carrier direct orders. Obvious nonsense given the expiration date they set on the temp. registration. I suppose the upside is I didn't have to wait two months to (re)start the clock.

Sharing the same anger and frustration. Every time I call Tesla I get a diff reason for why I havent received my tags and reg. Im really POd.

Just called local sales center to confirm they'd sent the registration paperwork to CA DMV as I had returned the paperwork back via included FedEx envelope same day. They generally showed "registration packet as been uploaded," confirming they've received my paperwork.

I spoke with another agent that works in the sales center Registration Dept and she confirmed they received the paperwork, but it has NOT yet been submitted to DMV as they typically do this in batches. 6-8 weeks is the estimated time frame that I should receive permanent plates/registration. Any issues, they'll be in contact. Free to check in again on status anytime.

My model 3 was delivered on 9/29, temp plates expired on 12/26 and still don't have my plates. Called Tesla they blamed the CA DMV being slow and told me to not drive my car and keep it parked. Why did I buy a car to just park it. Called the DMV and was told Tesla never completed the paperwork since submitting it back in October. Now Tesla is taking action to complete out the registration. So disappointed!