Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Suspended while sleep on Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plus the truck pulled out in front of him while he’s traveling 68 mph. AP and emergency braking cannot avoid all collisions. If he looked down or was distracted after setting AP shortly before, then he lost a precious second or two.

Resting your left hand at 7 o'clock position gives the right amount of resistance (or slight turning motion on the steering wheel to mimic the physics of someone holding on to the steering wheel) in order to silence the nags for hours. I do it every time but of course my I'm paying attention on the road ahead. No need to grip the steering wheel. If you want an anti nag method, use a 99 cent bungee cord and hook one end to the steering wheel (do not do this).

I did a test this weekend to see what I can and can’t do. There are actually 3-4 different positions where I can comfortably fall asleep and still not get AP nags. As someone in this thread mentioned, one of these positions is resting your palm at 7 o’clock on the steering wheel. Absolutely no grip required. Autopilot will never nag you.

Another position for me was just keeping my legs in such a way that the knees touch the wheel. Arms don’t need to be on the wheel at all in this position. My seat is positioned in such a way that doing this is very easy, could totally sleep like that, and again, no nags at all.

This isn’t as hard as the OP makes you think.