Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lienholder on trade-in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting in an interminable line at DMV right now, thought I'd see if anyone could answer and save me time.

Delivery targeted for less than 7 days from now. Planing to trade in current car, which was paid off years ago. Apparently I got the title with lienholder release signature, but filed it rather than take it to DMV til today.

Tesla said they need free and clear title. Will the title with lienholder signature be sufficient? I'm not sure if CA DMV will even give me a new title today, or will mail it and possibly delay delivery to wait for it?

Thanks, when I got to the head of the first line at the DMV, they said it would take 2-4 weeks to get a new title in the mail. She also suggested some dealers will take the title with the lienholder signature, but others may not. I decided to take the risk with the current title.

An hour later the Tesla rep called and also suggested it would be fine.

It's not hugely valuable trade-in, so don't really need it for the payment; just saves me the bother of selling the car on Craigslist.