Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Premium Connectivity pre-July 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*Tesla is going to offer FSD as a subscription in addition to a purchased/owned option.

OT somewhat: Just to add the "moving FSD" is another issue that I also would like to see Tesla allow. But they have decided to treat it more like an optional car part (Analogy: more like a Performance or Premium Package) than a traditional software license.

All of this, the issue with connectivity, whether or not FSD remains with the car or the driver (Tesla strips it from their own resales, so it remains with neither in those cases), or even whether something is a feature or a subscription, just shows how much Tesla is in charge of our vehicles all the time we own them. All of the software elements are at Tesla's mercy, to the point that Tesla could, if it wanted, disable and lock every one of the vehicles on the road. Or, in a more likely scenario, decide to start charging for software updates.

Considering the lopsided nature of this relationship, I think we'd do well to keep watch on what we have and are entitled to at any given time. My post was to inform a small subset of owners -- those with used vehicles ordered in that early time frame, wo bought them privately -- that they have this small entitlement. For now, at least.

They have a funny interpretation of "lifetime." In your case, it applies to your lifetime with the car, not the lifetime of the car. Since your purchase was after 6/30/2018, it will not transfer to the next owner.
yea, interesting point you make. It's also lifetime of the company that sells a product. They go bankrupt and your lifetime is over. :eek: Not suggesting this to happen with Tesla, but sure have seen it with other companies.

True.....neither will the Free Unlimited Lifetime Supercharging I have as well as far as I know.

Ski
Free supercharging for life on the car also depends on when the car was first purchased. My 2014 P85D had it for the life of the car. I traded that car for a 2017 P100D that came with free Supercharging for as long as I owned the car. Once I traded that car, it was no longer free for the next owner. didnt use the supercharging much so it was not a big deal.

Right after my used 2018 M3 LR RWD was delivered on 1/2/21, I registered the car in the Tesla app. Almost immediately, I was informed I had a 1-month free trial of premium connectivity. However, the car had been described by the dealer as having "lifetime premium connectivity.

Checking the Tesla support pages, I found reference to lifetime connectivity for M3s with premium interiors, originally sold prior to 6/30/2018. Solid, I thought. Mine was originally sold in April 2018.

But, not so fast. A Tesla support rep told me that this did not apply to resales after a certain date. And, I was told the lifetime guarantee applied to the owner, not the car. So, I gave up and subscribed to the monthly plan. Not big deal, I figured, Just 10 bucks a month.

Then, I learned Tesla had granted lifetime connectivity to a couple of other owners in similar circumstance. So, I went back to support and, after much discussion and about four calls, Tesla support admitted my car qualified. Today my car is described on my account as having "Premium Connectivity Free Unlimited."

I thought this would be of interest to some others. To summarize the qualifications, the car must have been sold prior to 6/30/2018, have a premium interior, and the ownership must have been transferred through a private sale.
Question, I ordered my car in ‘16, when Tesla started taking the down payments, didn’t received it until nov 18. Is my purchase date down payment date or final delivery date?

Question, I ordered my car in ‘16, when Tesla started taking the down payments, didn’t received it until nov 18. Is my purchase date down payment date or final delivery date?

You didn't order in 2016.

You made a reservation to get in line to order a car once orders were open later.

The part where you actually go through the configurator, pick options, and order a specific build of a vehicle, give a larger amount of $ (IIRC it was $2500 in 2018), and get an order agreement for a specific vehicle, is the order date.

Delivery date doesn't matter for connectivity, just order date.

Reactions: SageBrush
Just as a clarification, unlimited premium connectivity is on Model 3's ORDERED, not purchased, before 7/1/18. Ordered is defined as the date you configured the vehicle and hit the order button. I actually picked up my Model 3 on 7/1/18 and do have unlimited premium connectivity included.

• Helpful
Reactions: CameraJim
Right after my used 2018 M3 LR RWD was delivered on 1/2/21, I registered the car in the Tesla app. Almost immediately, I was informed I had a 1-month free trial of premium connectivity. However, the car had been described by the dealer as having "lifetime premium connectivity.

Checking the Tesla support pages, I found reference to lifetime connectivity for M3s with premium interiors, originally sold prior to 6/30/2018. Solid, I thought. Mine was originally sold in April 2018.

But, not so fast. A Tesla support rep told me that this did not apply to resales after a certain date. And, I was told the lifetime guarantee applied to the owner, not the car. So, I gave up and subscribed to the monthly plan. Not big deal, I figured, Just 10 bucks a month.

Then, I learned Tesla had granted lifetime connectivity to a couple of other owners in similar circumstance. So, I went back to support and, after much discussion and about four calls, Tesla support admitted my car qualified. Today my car is described on my account as having "Premium Connectivity Free Unlimited."

I thought this would be of interest to some others. To summarize the qualifications, the car must have been sold prior to 6/30/2018, have a premium interior, and the ownership must have been transferred through a private sale.

I'm in that boat if I (ever) sell my car! Good 2 know!!! (but I'm guessing my M3 will be a hand-me-down for many, many years)

It really can't.

If you buy FSD, it stays with the car- you don't get to keep it and move it to another car if you switch Teslas.

If you have lifetime premium connectivity it stays with the car- you don't get to keep it and move it to another car if you switch Teslas.

And in both cases if you sell or trade the car to Tesla they can remove it once they own it again.

The only place it's at all ambiguous is lifetime supercharging.

The older S/X cars came with legit lifetime that stays with the car just like the above.

The newer S/X and all 3s that come with it, it's "lifetime" of your ownership of that car and goes away entirely if you transfer ownership at all.
I bought my M3 LR RWD in May 2018 and I would buy a newer Tesla TOMORROW if I could take the FSD with me. I can't bring myself to buy it again when I haven't seen it feature complete on my original purchase yet. :-(

Reactions: Falkirk
I'd like to note that it's when the car was ordered, not when it was actually delivered that determines whether it has the free premium connectivity. I ordered my car on June 29, 2018 specifically to take advantage of this, but I didn't take delivery until November.
Similarly if you had put down a reserve order since 2016 and changed it any time after that date to even upgrade to M3P with all options they still claim you "ordered" it after June 29, 2018, which is technically correct, but a nice little burn for someone who helped finance the car even existing.

I have a 2017 Model S and am proud that we “early adopters” helped Elon Musk prove that EV’s were the way of the future. I also know that we paid way up front for features that were on the drawing board, but not available. For example, I paid $5,000 in 2017 for FSD and it still is not available, but I’m not complaining, especially since it now costs $10,000!

I had faith that Elon would not let those of us who purchased early down, and so far he has been a man of his word. I have lifetime free connectivity, free supercharging, and will eventually get the FSD at no extra charge. With a new update with new features downloading every few weeks, it is like getting a new car over and over again! He is supporting our dream car us because we supported his dream company.

Even after 3 years, I could not be more pleased with my Model S. It is the finest automobile I have even been in, much less driven. A “computer-on-wheels” I tell my friends. I’m glad I lived long enough to be able to enjoy this technology!

Very interesting Jim! I also have a Tesla 3 LRRW that I ordered in 2016 and received in August 2018. I also have Lifetime Connectivity. So I wonder what that 6/30/2018 date represents. Is it for cars ordered by that date or delivered by that date. If the latter, then it conflicts with my delivery date and the fact that I have Lifetime Connectivity. Additionally, this feature represents a contract I signed with Tesla and equates to "resale value" for me. Tesla should not play games like this. If they do, then I should have received AP when they decided to include it as a standard feature in all Tesla 3 cars. Instead, I paid thousands of dollars...

Very interesting Jim! I also have a Tesla 3 LRRW that I ordered in 2016 and received in August 2018. I also have Lifetime Connectivity. So I wonder what that 6/30/2018 date represents. Is it for cars ordered by that date or delivered by that date. If the latter, then it conflicts with my delivery date and the fact that I have Lifetime Connectivity. Additionally, this feature represents a contract I signed with Tesla and equates to "resale value" for me. Tesla should not play games like this. If they do, then I should have received AP when they decided to include it as a standard feature in all Tesla 3 cars. Instead, I paid thousands of dollars...

Hey, Tom, I see we are both in West Chester. Have you tried the free Volta charges at Giant in the Bradford Plaza yet? I was just there and got 20 miles free while shopping.

Anyway, yes, if you ordered prior to 7/2018, your CAR has permanent unlimited connectivity. Your ultimate buyer might have to call Tesla as I did, but they agree when it's pointed out to them. And, I agree that this should add a small amount to resale value.

All of this, the issue with connectivity, whether or not FSD remains with the car or the driver (Tesla strips it from their own resales, so it remains with neither in those cases),
Not quite, Camera Jim. If you'll bring up the Tesla Used Inventory pages, it appears that Tesla is actually ADDING FSD to the used cars for sale. The pattern I see is that, if the 3rd gen computer is installed, they will add the FSD software to model years 2017 and newer. If you don't mind a few miles and a slightly shorter warranty, you can snag a good deal on a used Tesla with FSD at a very attractive price.

Not quite, Camera Jim. If you'll bring up the Tesla Used Inventory pages, it appears that Tesla is actually ADDING FSD to the used cars for sale. The pattern I see is that, if the 3rd gen computer is installed, they will add the FSD software to model years 2017 and newer. If you don't mind a few miles and a slightly shorter warranty, you can snag a good deal on a used Tesla with FSD at a very attractive price.

Really? All I see on there is "Full Self Driving Capability." No Model 3s with actual FSD. Capability, to me means, "you can give us $10,000 for FSD."

Reactions: Need
Just as a clarification, unlimited premium connectivity is on Model 3's ORDERED, not purchased, before 7/1/18. Ordered is defined as the date you configured the vehicle and hit the order button. I actually picked up my Model 3 on 7/1/18 and do have unlimited premium connectivity included.
Makes sense. I bought mine used with unlimited premium connectivity but it has a build date of 9/18. Helps validate your timeline.

IIRC all LR prior to 7/2018 were premium interior

All LR ever made are premium interior.

The only cars with anything else are the SRs, which didn't exist until early 2019.

I think you are correct, but it is how Tesla defines the qualification on its support page. I posted an image of that above. Maybe there are a few standard range models which opted for premium interior and would thus qualify.

Nope.

There's no such thing as an SR with a premium interior either.... nor any SRs of any sort sold in 2018.

Very interesting Jim! I also have a Tesla 3 LRRW that I ordered in 2016

No, in 2016 you reserved a spot to order a car later.

and received in August 2018.

Which means you actually ordered it sometime between late 2017 and July 2018 (the window prior to your delivery when you could actually config and order a LR RWD)

I also have Lifetime Connectivity. So I wonder what that 6/30/2018 date represents

The latest date on which you could have actually done the config and order to qualify for lifetime connectivity.

When you made a reservation is irrelevant.

When you took delivery is irrelevant.