Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liftgate Codes, but doesn't make the winding sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! Longtime lurker here. Just had a strange issue I noticed for the first time in my 2016 85D and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced it? After hitting the close button on the rear trunk it lowers and latches per usual, but no longer makes the winding noise like it used to. Seems like it was an important action that was securing the trunk door the last inch or so. Seems like the car drives fine with no detection that the trunk is still open or anything, but not sure if this could indicate something about to break or something already broken.

I've noticed that too (and also wondered if something was wrong the first time it happened), but don't think it's anything to worry about. My recollection is that it will happen if I've opened, closed, then re-opened and re-closed the liftgate within the span of a few minutes. The second time, there often won't be a winding noise after the latch clicks shut. The "normal" noise is back next time I use the liftgate, which is usually the next day.

If it has completely stopped making the winding noise on every latch close, and it's been that way for more than just tonight, I'd call and ask the service center about it. How many liftgate open/ close cycles have occurred without the "normal" noise?

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne