Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light Harmonic upgraded speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just installed the Light Harmonic amp in my 2018 100D with UFHS. I listen to a lot of hip hop and was always wanting more bass. I am leasing my car so I didn't want to go crazy with a bunch of custom components. I had looked at the NVX stuff, but liked the plug and play aspect of the LH stuff, especially that in 2.5 years I can pull it and either transfer it to a new vehicle or sell it. The sound is great, bass really thumps. I am not planning to upgrade the speakers except possibly the sub. I bought the soundqubed sub on Black Friday but will wait to see.

In terms of the install there were some hiccups. First if you watch their videos, their stuff is on a 2014 model. Refresh models have a few different things. The fuse you need to replace is now in the passenger footwell and not the frunk. When I went to remove the connector from the factory amp, the pink piece broke and it took some time to disengage the connector, but I got it. Removing the plastic vent piece is much more challenging on the newer models. The carpet over right side of the footwell covers the screw and is super stiff and plastic backed so it took some muscling to pry back to get a screwdriver in there. The bolts that hold the amp in place are now 10mm bolts instead of torx. I got this far then I couldn't figure out how to get the connectors off the radio or disconnect the ODB port. For the port the screws are facing in toward the side of the car, and there is no room to get something in there to unscrew them.

At this point I almost gave up. But then I noticed there is a decent amount of space behind the plastic when you reach in to disconnect the factory amp. So I loosened this and was able to slide the LH amp in and secure it. The picture below shows how I initially positioned it, the foam was used to hold it place when I secured it. This was awesome in that it will be super easy for me to take out the amp when I turn in my car. I figured this were the NVX amp ends up sitting. I may not be the cleanest solution, but it works.

Attachments

• sKAkur6MTlmh1DPjrAok+g.jpg
    sKAkur6MTlmh1DPjrAok+g.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 290
So I just installed the Light Harmonic amp in my 2018 100D with UFHS. I listen to a lot of hip hop and was always wanting more bass. I am leasing my car so I didn't want to go crazy with a bunch of custom components. I had looked at the NVX stuff, but liked the plug and play aspect of the LH stuff, especially that in 2.5 years I can pull it and either transfer it to a new vehicle or sell it. The sound is great, bass really thumps. I am not planning to upgrade the speakers except possibly the sub. I bought the soundqubed sub on Black Friday but will wait to see.

Hey, thanks for the feedback and I'll be sure to let the office know your thoughts! :)

I have a Nov. 2016 build AP2 MS (refreshed). Do not have the UHFS. Has anyone done just the speaker upgrade with the four LH door speakers? I know a prior poster said that there was an upgrade to the stock speakers at some point in the evolution of MS, so I don't know whether the LH speakers will be a huge improvement over what I have. I candidly I don't know whether mine are considered "upgraded" (was it upgraded at the refresh?) I know all new orders have UHFS standard.

I had a service loaner that must have had the UHFS because it was better than what I have. The sales guys uniformly said people couldn't tell the difference between with and without UHFS when I was considering new, but I clearly can.

Long post to ask the simple question if the LH four door upgrade is worth the 1K. (And I know I have seen it on sale before for a couple hundred off, but it may have been a holiday thing?)

It's been said before... but just want to point out that in a high quality upgrade from Reus audio, the Tesla paper speakers in the door are retained... NO CHANGE NEEDED to produce amazing audiophile quality sound. I think your $$ are better spent on Sub, amp, crossover, and tweeters (probably in that order) -- door speakers are the last thing needed IMO.

Note, I did start with UHFS, so I had the UHFS paper speakers, but still... no need for high end door speakers. BTW... Reus repurposes the UHFS sub for some low-mid range enhancement (very narrow).

For anyone wondering the differences for the new upgraded speakers:

-Stronger and lighter Neodymium Magnet
-6N Pure copper wire from cone to terminal
-custom Starry Night Blue color
-almost 1/2 the weight of the Gen 1 speakers.

For anyone wondering the differences for the new upgraded speakers:

-Stronger and lighter Neodymium Magnet
-6N Pure copper wire from cone to terminal
-custom Starry Night Blue color
-almost 1/2 the weight of the Gen 1 speakers.

Do you still have speakers in stock for purchase. I don't see anything on the website. I sent several emails and no reply.

Can anyone with the updated fascia that has installed the LH Amp check their passenger footwell fuse box and see what size fuse that you installed in slot 217? LH Sent me a 35A Mini fuse, but the footwell uses micro2 fuses. From my searching, the largest micro2 fuse I can find is 30A.

Thanks
T

• Love
Reactions: Reefdiver
Can anyone with the updated fascia that has installed the LH Amp check their passenger footwell fuse box and see what size fuse that you installed in slot 217? LH Sent me a 35A Mini fuse, but the footwell uses micro2 fuses. From my searching, the largest micro2 fuse I can find is 30A.

Thanks
T

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I just installed a 30a micro fuse. Never had any problems with it blowing