TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lighted Rear Applique Spécial Effects

Discussion in 'Video' started by artsci, Dec 27, 2015.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#1 artsci, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Before production of the new billet aluminum rear appliqué begins I wanted to capture video of the major lighting effects possible with the current appliqué. The neopixel electronics (designed and produced by Danal Estes) are mounted to the back side of Tesla's plastic chrome piece. The TESLA letters are water-jet cut out of the plastic, 3D printed letters inserted into the openings, and a long PCB with neopixels for each letter installed.

The new appliqué (based on Tesla's version now delivered on all new cars) is milled out of solid aluminum and the mounting and letter cut-outs are milled at the same time. It will be much higher quality that Tesla's plastic piece and eliminate altogether the supply problems we had obtaining appliqués from Tesla and having the letters water-jet cut out out of the piece. Also, the TESLA letters will match those on Tesla's new version (flat on the top and greater protrusion).

All of the effects shown are controlled by an Appliqué Master Control Module, a bluetooth iPhone/Android app developed by HankLloydRight.

Development of this mod is truly a team effort by Tesla owners.

Please note that the intensity of the letter colors in the video is far lower than the eye sees. The colors are intensely bright at night and clearly visible in daylight.

2. SUPRKAR

SUPRKAR Member

Beautiful, I don't get to see this driving my car. Thanks Rick!

3. Caligula

Caligula Member

I assume there's a more detailed thread with links and descriptions of installation, etc?

Also interesting tint film on the rear window. Whats the deal there?

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#4 artsci, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    There are a number of threads on the lighted appliqué. This is the longest and most thorough.

Install instructions are in Google Docs. These will be slightly revised when the billet aluminum version is available but the wiring, which is the most time consuming part of the job, will stay the same with the new version.

The tint is standard 3M. I think the lighting conditions (fog) when the video was shot make it look a little odd.

5. Branzo90D

Branzo90D Salt and Pepper

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#6 artsci, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Here's another short video of the appliqué in disco mode at dusk. This show how bright it is. This is just after a rain storm so the rear of the car is loaded with grime but you'll get the idea:)