Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lightweight wheels model 3 performance 0-60 testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please don't recycle the silliness about how the system is dialing down power because of lack of tire grip on a good dry surface. Even the performance model 3 is not traction limited. The slight modulation of launch torque is to prevent something called torque ripple which is seen in permanent magnet so-called switched reluctance Motors. Only on a very slippery surface is power modulated by traction control. You do not need to warm up your tires. That might be true in an ice car that breaks traction or if you're on a road course not true on these cars in straight line acceleration runs. Please don't recycle disinformation
Under perfect conditions the Model 3 is not limited by traction or power, ideal conditions do however mean hot enough for tires to have ideal performance and hot enough battery temps for max power output, as well as of course high enough SoC.

If its very cold, you have less friction and also less performance due to battery temps them limit output power.
Humidity, rain etc also affect traction of course, as with any car.

Not sure if you quoted the wrong person? Since I mainly wanted to say that its very hard to compare ones dragace times with another persons dragrace times, as there are so many factors.

Reason I mentioned tires is that if I do some dragracing and post times, I might be using crappy tires right.
And then someone else uses the stock tires and gets better times.. But you dont see from the timeslip which tires they have, or what SoC, what battery temp, how much wind there was, tailwind or headwind. Also the older Model 3s have smaller battery than the newer, so they accellerate differently.

So my itention was never to say that a Model 3 under ideal condition needs wider tires to win dragrace.
It might need other tires to win auto-x however :) And of course you can gain some performance from lighter wheels and lighter tires, but its like 0.1 second 0-60. I did dragrace 3P a lot should be said, with:
TSW light 19" wheels with PS4S
OEM 20" wheels with PS4S
Zero-G 20" wheels with PS4S
Custom forged wheels, 19" with PS4S.

So the wheels all had same tire width, I had new PS4S tires on all wheels.
Accelleration times were faster on lighter wheels, but by 0.1-0.2s range somewhere, dont remember 100% figures.
But Ive done a lot of dragracing and driving on these different wheels, like 81.000km.

It should be noted that I also did put on KW V3 adjustable coilovers etc.
I wouldnt by this say to people dont buy good wheels, you can in theory gain range - if the aero is good.
But what is the main gain of lighter wheels, is that the less rotational mass means its easier for shocks to do their job.
Some people might like the "feel of heavy wheels", but I like the more nimble feel you get with lighter wheels.

Reactions: Kvitravn
Under perfect conditions the Model 3 is not limited by traction or power, ideal conditions do however mean hot enough for tires to have ideal performance and hot enough battery temps for max power output, as well as of course high enough SoC.

If its very cold, you have less friction and also less performance due to battery temps them limit output power.
Humidity, rain etc also affect traction of course, as with any car.

Not sure if you quoted the wrong person? Since I mainly wanted to say that its very hard to compare ones dragace times with another persons dragrace times, as there are so many factors.

Reason I mentioned tires is that if I do some dragracing and post times, I might be using crappy tires right.
And then someone else uses the stock tires and gets better times.. But you dont see from the timeslip which tires they have, or what SoC, what battery temp, how much wind there was, tailwind or headwind. Also the older Model 3s have smaller battery than the newer, so they accellerate differently.

So my itention was never to say that a Model 3 under ideal condition needs wider tires to win dragrace.
It might need other tires to win auto-x however :) And of course you can gain some performance from lighter wheels and lighter tires, but its like 0.1 second 0-60. I did dragrace 3P a lot should be said, with:
TSW light 19" wheels with PS4S
OEM 20" wheels with PS4S
Zero-G 20" wheels with PS4S
Custom forged wheels, 19" with PS4S.

So the wheels all had same tire width, I had new PS4S tires on all wheels.
Accelleration times were faster on lighter wheels, but by 0.1-0.2s range somewhere, dont remember 100% figures.
But Ive done a lot of dragracing and driving on these different wheels, like 81.000km.

It should be noted that I also did put on KW V3 adjustable coilovers etc.
I wouldnt by this say to people dont buy good wheels, you can in theory gain range - if the aero is good.
But what is the main gain of lighter wheels, is that the less rotational mass means its easier for shocks to do their job.
Some people might like the "feel of heavy wheels", but I like the more nimble feel you get with lighter wheels.
Ironically my quickest 0-60 mph was on the coldest track day I have ever done.

This was with 18” T Sportline TS5 wheels and 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires. They had no trouble hooking even with the cold temperatures.

IMG_4311.png

Reactions: Sendit1 and arrow7
Ironically my quickest 0-60 mph was on the coldest track day I have ever done.

This was with 18” T Sportline TS5 wheels and 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires. They had no trouble hooking even with the cold temperatures.

View attachment 982887
Up to 50mph I was only 0.01s behind, but then my car just dies. Max discharge was showing low 450s before the run.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131_013920_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_013920_dragy.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240131_022820_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_022820_Gallery.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
That is an insanely good time in the rain. Absolutely amazing. Great job!
Thanks, I have the front and rear seats out, just what I could remove quick for a few dragy runs. I'll retest in the dry before doing anything else as I feel the car should be faster. The G force trace looks like a bit of spin off the line and the front end was moving around over the standing water in the road grooves.

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
View attachment 1014422
I overlaid our two runs and expanded the Y axis for clarity. Where and how do you have your Dragy mounted? Mine is stuck to the roof glass up front.
My Dragy is always sitting on one of the rear speakers in the back deck lid. The speakers are strongly magnetic and will hold the Dragy in place securely.

Putting it in back prevents it from lifting when the car launches.

Ass-u-ming the hypothetical not necessarily true.. See I actually drive all my cars, and don't freak out if stuff happens. Stuff happens, stuff gets fixed.
I've curbed these wheels, then got them fixed, life goes on. Not going to get into a debate over it, just pointing out, maybe I was asking a real question.

Attachments

• My other garage.png
    My other garage.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Ass-u-ming the hypothetical not necessarily true.. See I actually drive all my cars, and don't freak out if stuff happens. Stuff happens, stuff gets fixed.
I've curbed these wheels, then got them fixed, life goes on. Not going to get into a debate over it, just pointing out, maybe I was asking a real question.

Completely kidding around, but those cars deserve more from their garage... :)

But for real, hypotheticals are antithetical to boldness.

The practical side of me says “but what if I buy this $65k Performance EV and they suddenly tank in value 7 months later?”

But the “just send it” (wink&nod intended) part of me says “then you die a boring old man…”

IMG_0268.jpeg

Reactions: Lolo780