Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely buying used: Differences to be aware of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding on the new Supercharger program was that current cars that have unlimited supercharging would retain that when traded in and transferred to a new owner. Is this not true, or do we just not know for sure yet? (I read this here)
Cars that were sold with lifetime supercharging cannot just have it terminated since people purchased it as "lifetime for life of the car". This also means that this lifetime charging can be sold with the car, indefinitely. HOWEVER, if you trade your car to Tesla, they, as the owner of the car, will in turn have the right to strip the lifetime supercharging from the car before reselling, the same way they are allowed to swap big tires with smaller ones, repaint, or anything else they desire.

Agreed that Tesla can do that. I don't think anyone knows for certain if they will or won't.

It's my personal belief they won't strip SC from older cars, since the number of CPO cars that cycle through Tesla is pretty small compared to the number of new cars sold, it's not really going to make a significant difference on long term SC use. Also, leaving it enabled is a nice perk to help move those cars and turn depreciating CPO inventory into cash.

But I can totally see it going either way.

Agreed that Tesla can do that. I don't think anyone knows for certain if they will or won't.

It's my personal belief they won't strip SC from older cars, since the number of CPO cars that cycle through Tesla is pretty small compared to the number of new cars sold, it's not really going to make a significant difference on long term SC use. Also, leaving it enabled is a nice perk to help move those cars and turn depreciating CPO inventory into cash.

But I can totally see it going either way.
Stripping it eliminates local charging problem, which is likely to get worse as used cars get cheaper. Also, additional revenue for Tesla selling supercharger vouchers. Notice that all CPO's have fully upgraded batteries and AP enabled if possible - even if the original owner didn't buy it, it makes sense for Tesla to try to monetize the hardware the second time through.

So here's some picky things:

Does anyone know if things like the automatic high beams and windshield wipers rely on the autopilot camera, or is it possible to have those features before autopilot was introduced? I ask because i currently have both of these features, and while they're small, it'd be upsetting to give them up on a car that costs twice what my current car costs.

The automatic windshield wipers are on all Model S. The automatic high beams are part of the "AP camera" and came with that.

The automatic windshield wipers are on all Model S. The automatic high beams are part of the "AP camera" and came with that.

Considering how spotty Intellibeam has been on my Caddy, I don't expect i'll miss automatic high beams much.. I typically end up overriding it more often than letting it just work, currently. I do enjoy my automatic windshield wipers, though. (First world problems!)

It will be interesting to see how Tesla handles unlimited supercharging on CPOs... Maybe it'll be an option I can buy, or something. Even if I do end up having to buy power from Superchargers, it won't be the end of the world for me. Most of my trips for work end at EV charging stations (or very near them) anyway, and most of my personal trips end up at either hotels (which i can easily book with an EV charging station) or at friend's houses (which will gladly let me steal some power to charge my car with). I expect the only time i'll be using superchargers is when i need more range between point A and point B... Otherwise, I'll mostly be charging at the free EV charging station at my apartment, or charging from a wall connector if i pull the trigger on a house soon. (Which is still completely up in the air)

I am going to take a contrarian view here. I love my Model S and have had no problems with it at all. That said, the car is all about technology and I wouldn't consider owning one outside of the factory warranty. Were I in your shoes, I would look at leasing a new one or buying an S60 if you want to keep the price down.

Reactions: NAVALARCHITECT
Look at some of the deals on ev-cpo.com IMO. You can get a floor model/test driver that's marked down and still eligible for the $8500 total discount from tax rebate and referral code. Plus you don't have to worry about any warranty weirdness or how the prior owners took care of it. I'm seeing used cars posted here and elsewhere for more than a new one factoring that in.

https://ev-cpo.com/ is also going to be your friend... for the CPO market at least, but is a good indicator of prices and AP. Buying from a private party can be a little sketchy depending on the ownership style. Buying from a used car dealer is asking for problems, as they don't know jack about this car.

85 KWh AP 1.0 under 55k is probably dream until the middle of next year.
I used the EV-EPO site and its great. I searched and searched for what I wanted... Getting AP for $55 is not an option. Pay for the upgraded EVEPO site to search sold car prices, well worth the $10 or so for a month.

I was under the impression that say a 2013 would have a warranty good until 2021... Does the warranty not transfer to a new owner on these cars?

Are you thinking of the 8-year, unlimited warranty on just the motor and battery?

All cars come with 4 years, 50k mile factory warranty. Inventory cars and private sale cars can opt-in for the additional "Extended Service Agreement" which is basically a warranty, for an extra $4k. Tesla CPO cars can not get the ESA, but the 4yr/50k starts at the time of purchase.

Are you thinking of the 8-year, unlimited warranty on just the motor and battery?

All cars come with 4 years, 50k mile factory warranty. Inventory cars and private sale cars can opt-in for the additional "Extended Service Agreement" which is basically a warranty, for an extra $4k. Tesla CPO cars can not get the ESA, but the 4yr/50k starts at the time of purchase.

That's the one! I knew it was only on the drive train and battery, but I just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.

The chances of me owning a car for more than 2 or 3 years is pretty slim... If i didn't put so many miles on cars, I would gladly just lease. I tend to easily get "bored" with a vehicle and always want to move to something different within a few years of buying. With that being said, the 100K warranty i could get by buying a new car and the extended warranty is something to consider, but I'll definitely have to think on that bit for a while, as 100K would only get me about 2.5 years at my current rate.

Part of me would rather just put money aside to fix any issues that may arise, but since a door handle looks to cost about a grand, I can definitely see where a warranty would be nice. At the same time, though, how often do things on these cars really break? I know some people have gotten some lemony ones, but I'd hope a CPO already has all the weak links replaced...

Upon further research, it looks like I could buy from a Private party/dealer for much much less than a CPO. I could also buy the extended warranty from Tesla for cheaper, as well. So my questions becomes this: If I drive down to Florida, buy a nicely loaded 2015 Model S 70D from a Mercedes Dealer, drive it back to Nashville, buy the extended warranty, and come out $20K cheaper than a 60D new.... what's the catch?

Currently i'm at the mindset of "I'd rather have a car without Autopilot but a nice stereo, air suspension, and all the other bells and whistles." than having autopilot on a barebones Model S.

Personally I'd go the other way. I'd rather have a barebones, newer, smaller capacity model with autopilot than a loaded non-AP model. Autopilot is a game changer on those long highway trips, as in my experience you end up less tired at the end, and I don't mind stopping for supercharging and a leg stretch on occasion.

Tonight there's a loaner non-AP P85 in my driveway while my AP 85D gets her annual physical. Just in the day or so of commuting I've really missed the Autopilot, and traffic has been more stressful. First world problems, I know-- the P85 is still a sweet ride.

Make sure you really test drive it in the highway if you are going to drive that much.
I got a 2013 P85+ CPO two days ago, did only the "around the block" test drive, and profoundly regret the purchase.
The P85+ is unacceptably noise at highway speeds. Sound insulation is poor and you can hear trucks 4 lanes far. Insist on a proper test drive.
Yes, they are insanely cool.

Catch: You can't buy the ESA as the second owner. You have to strike a deal with the existing owner (if they're the first owner) to buy the ESA and then build that into the price of the car. You can't do it after the fact.

I'm gonna need you to stop raining on my parade.... Does the factory warranty the original purchaser had still apply, at least?

Personally I'd go the other way. I'd rather have a barebones, newer, smaller capacity model with autopilot than a loaded non-AP model. Autopilot is a game changer on those long highway trips, as in my experience you end up less tired at the end, and I don't mind stopping for supercharging and a leg stretch on occasion.

Tonight there's a loaner non-AP P85 in my driveway while my AP 85D gets her annual physical. Just in the day or so of commuting I've really missed the Autopilot, and traffic has been more stressful. First world problems, I know-- the P85 is still a sweet ride.

My normal commute to work isn't very AP friendly due to poor lane markings and twisty roads, so I don't think i'd use AP on it. I am curious to see how I feel about it all after I take my test drive. My current plan is to let AP drive me to Mississippi for Christmas, and then I'll drive back manually and see how I feel about the idea of having a car without AP. If I decide I DO want AP, I'll more than likely still get a used vehicle, but just wait on prices on them to drop a little more. I'm having a hard time justifying a $70K+ car that's missing some features the car I paid less than $20K for has.

Make sure you really test drive it in the highway if you are going to drive that much.
I got a 2013 P85+ CPO two days ago, did only the "around the block" test drive, and profoundly regret the purchase.
The P85+ is unacceptably noise at highway speeds. Sound insulation is poor and you can hear trucks 4 lanes far. Insist on a proper test drive.
Yes, they are insanely cool.

I've read that the P85+ tends to be both noisier and a rougher ride than a 85 or 85D, which makes sense to me. I'm going to test drive a loaner from Nashville to Jackson, MS to see how I like it on the highway. If I can't stand to sit in it for six hour road trips, I won't be buying one period. As cool as it is, if I'm miserable in it, it's not very cool. :)

I'm gonna need you to stop raining on my parade.... Does the factory warranty the original purchaser had still apply, at least?

I'm just trying to be helpful. :) I don't think anyone here would want to see you follow that plan and then find out after the fact you can't get the ESA. Yes, the factory warranty still applies.

There had to be something wrong with that particular car, the suspension, or the tires were worn and/or over-inflated, or the road surface was bad, etc. The P85+ does have a tighter feel for the road (or rougher as some people describe), but some of us prefer that connected-to-the-road feeling. But it's not roller-coaster rough. The sound insulation in P85+ is no different than any other Model S (built around the same time). Also, comparing any Model S with 21" wheels and summer performance tires is going to sound louder than any other Model S with 19" wheels and all-season touring tires. My point is, these issues, for the most part, are NOT because it's a P85+, other than the tighter handling and firmer ride.

If I can't stand to sit in it for six hour road trips, I won't be buying one period. As cool as it is, if I'm miserable in it, it's not very cool

I've taken my P85+ on several 1000+ mile road trips. I don't think I'd ever describe it as "miserable". But YMMV, of course!

Reactions: NOLA_Mike