Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelyhood of bending 20 inch performance wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Q05hTGdBWHBjc1JuaXREM0pOQk1EN0VaNUo2OGNB
wnzm95Cvlnog0m79F3ps2h-_Kh8-T-JNzZQ33ZCgPvWMyEcil1QqGw_0GwbWZprmQq9sbTFbIZi5cGyzpltZkqRKHW4QSQO6kaMunlzmi4oD5L5WPH3JcYuMFsmG5TjbqOmXuL4J8YUkr_vap4-zBMjt9-9j1rr0wHeDY0FJcvkNrnFJrgAuZVzeWtx6Sd_gNXabgRNF5d2EFJYML1DpSeok4DJx3zwZZAHu-_GnMvtwmxjQTuK1axGOFk0F4Cq6G6VMAxqDvnFUleDey1TG68uCU5bRVDyILBkJVHJdr-pmVG5XGktOp3RPB0BApgkjB0Q4iAjOtQmWI9uGG_UWjwShvrg38K4_tyutL007xCBtfoDg6_2QcBrWyxpOhDVVFEewCPVp_atKatmealrE3CGEw2Y5SR9yvOIIYkTF5thaNjUN-RSDOzC5ktevptcsMt7jNsH76uxIrtjlFz6nOfrmvOYyafoq92uaj4Cv6zs-poScYGR0cxcbiVj24ge_hKVkyejrN62az_1_si6jvR9xIvCyT8vCUICL9pIRWJep3-WSpjPkZb1dtM9Sy9hT83Q3lUUJdkr5CavvvXj3w6Htl--eOZUnbw1t0-QgfuZc9_6D2O3gktK2iHl08_i3LZch2xojm9JXiPDFIcf3FBkBxJEPm_BqwiIInjlUai-nPB2vLb2RygWyjyHXrCFOEjKPbUwt9keK2VcQCSGllAq-aAoQczn9McEzhMrJAgOI31U=w2134-h1600-no

Almost no manufactures equip their cars with Forged wheels, because they are insanely expensive. Even Porsche only includes forged wheels on their highest end versions of the 911 (Turbo and GT3).

None of the examples I quoted above had any rim damage. It was all tire damage.

News flash, yes, low profile tires are more susceptible to damage than taller ones. Anyone whose had any brand of car with low profile tires knows that. Not unique to Tesla, and doesn't mean the Tesla rims are anymore garbage than anyone elses.

To the OP's question, low profile tires on any size tire are more likely to incur damage to the tire (and to a lesser extent the rim) than a taller tire on a smaller rim. They also look better and have some are benefits that you may or may not care about. But Tesla's larger rims aren't notably poorer than the large rims any other auto maker ships.

Almost no manufactures equip their cars with Forged wheels, because they are insanely expensive. Even Porsche only includes forged wheels on their highest end versions of the 911 (Turbo and GT3).

None of the examples I quoted above had any rim damage. It was all tire damage.

News flash, yes, low profile tires are more susceptible to damage than taller ones. Anyone whose had any brand of car with low profile tires knows that. Not unique to Tesla, and doesn't mean the Tesla rims are anymore garbage than anyone elses.

To the OP's question, low profile tires on any size tire are more likely to incur damage to the tire (and to a lesser extent the rim) than a taller tire on a smaller rim. They also look better and have some are benefits that you may or may not care about. But Tesla's larger rims aren't notably poorer than the large rims any other auto maker ships.

That's not the issue, the issue is the Model S has a GVWR of ~6000 lbs. and the Model 3 has a GVWR of ~5000 lbs. This heavy weight combined with cast aluminum wheels with low profile tires is the issue. I personally have owned 3 Model S's and every single one left me stranded due to tire/wheel issues with the 21's. I'm not sure why you think this is so uncommon, I did a quick search on the web and found hundreds of social media postings, and this only represents a small segment of the population that is active online. A mono block forged wheel in a smaller diameter would help eliminate many of these issues and when they cost a little more than the stock OEM replacement, why take the gamble? is $500 insanely expensive to you? Hell the tires cost almost that much, what is insanely expensive is my time. Also just because you can't see the damage doesn't mean they aren't bent. Then you get to deal with this guy.

Last edited:
That's not the issue, the issue is the Model S has a GVWR of ~6000 lbs. and the Model 3 has a GVWR of ~5000 lbs. This heavy weight combined with cast aluminum wheels with low profile tires is the issue. I personally have owned 3 Model S's and every single one left me stranded due to tire/wheel issues with the 21's. I'm not sure why you think this is so uncommon, I did a quick search on the web and found hundreds of social media postings, and this only represents a small segment of the population that is active online. A mono block forged wheel in a smaller diameter would help eliminate many of these issues and when they cost a little more than the stock OEM replacement, why take the gamble? is $500 insanely expensive to you? Hell the tires cost almost that much, what is insanely expensive is my time. Also just because you can't see the damage doesn't mean they aren't bent. Then you get to deal with this guy.

And the GVWR of a BMW 430 AWD convertible is 4971 and a 7 series is 5897 lbs.

Again, Tesla rim/tire packages are no worse than any other brand. Spamming the thread with a dozen cherry picked anecdotes is adding 0 value to the discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamG
Maybe that's why the BMW 440i xDrive Convertible comes stock with 18 inch wheels and the BMW 7 with 19 inch wheels.
View attachment 520136 View attachment 520138

Let's agree to disagree on whether the Model 3 (which is available in various trims with 18, 19, or 20 inch rims) has a significantly higher GVWR than other vehicles in its class such as the BMW 4 series/M4 (which is also available in various trims with 18, 19, or 20) rims. I'll concede that if it were substantially heavier, then it's worth taking into consideration when choosing a rim and tire.

I think we are both in agreement that a larger rim with a lower profile tire will be somewhat more susceptible to damage than a small rim with a taller tire on the same car.

I still don't agree that the stock wheels are "cheap" relative to the wheels other manufactures provide, and I'm satisfied with the 20" wheel from Tesla, but I'll admit those Forged wheels you linked to look great and seem like a good price. If I ever order a second set of wheels I'll keep them in mind.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe