Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lithium abundance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What people fail to see when they start to yell about the lack of lithium is both the fact that recycling of lithium will be almost 100% as soon as prices are high enough. And lithium is not the answer, batteries are. Currently our best batteries are lithium based, but there are no reason someone shouldn't come up with a better solution later or a slightly worse solution which doesn't use lithium for "low-end" application. I think Martins statement that an EV is a the perfect flexfuel car is a good point. As a consumer I don't care what my battery is based on as long as it's cheap and has plenty of power :)

Cobos

Multinationals eye up lithium reserves beneath Bolivia's salt flats
Metal deposits may be key to green car revolution but government in La Paz yet to agree deal

Salt-desert-in-Bolivia-001.jpg

Multinationals eye up lithium reserves beneath Bolivia's salt flats | World news | The Guardian

Technology Review: Lithium Battery Recycling Gets a Boost

"The lithium part is a really negligible cost when you compare it to other metals; nickel, cobalt, those are going to be the biggest drivers [of recycling]," says Kelty, adding that Tesla actually makes money by recycling just the nonlithium recycled components of its batteries. "So while we've been reading plenty of articles about the industry running out of lithium, it's totally missing the mark. There's plenty of lithium out there."

Recyclers Craft End-Of-Life Solutions for EV Batteries - NYTimes.com

That means batteries that power cars like Nissan Motor Co.'s Leaf, unveiled last month, or General Motors Co.'s Chevrolet Volt, due out in 2010, will likely find their way to Toxco's plant in Lancaster, where they will be transformed into scrap commodities like cobalt, copper, nickel and lithium carbonate.

Toxco's Canadian recycling facility in Trail, British Columbia, already recycles lithium-ion batteries from devices like laptop computers, industrial plants and Tesla Motors Inc.'s all-electric Roadster vehicle. The batteries are frozen to -325 degrees Fahrenheit to defuse the lithium before being sheared, shredded and separated into their constituent parts for resale.