Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living With 110V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cross posted from my blog, which has a few more photos, which are hard to transfer over.

Unfortunately, my adapter from my Roadster high power wall connector to my Model S is on backorder. I am living with the 110 connection in my house. My dryer is in the middle of my house, so there is no 220 plug in the garage, only the Roadster high power connector.

The following information might be useful for someone else with only 110 connection permanently or in a short term situation such as on a road trip with limited charging options.

Although the charging is extremely slow, I have not found using a slow charge to be a large issue. So far I have been able to take the car wherever I have needed to go without any range anxiety.

I have encountered four limitations with the 110 cable so far.

1. The cable is quite short, the model S is quite long, and the plug is in the back of the car. I think even a few more feet of cable would be a great improvement. Particularly in light of the wording in their contract

"that an extension cord should never be used to charge your vehicle."

110fallingout.jpg
2. The 110 adaptor plug is an awkward shape. I think it should be more "short and wide" then "long and narrow". When plugged into a high socket, the weight of the plug and wire make it difficult to keep a strong connection. The first outlet is about 3 feet off the ground. Reminds me of days when you had to travel with an adaptor plug and a transformer to switch voltage.

The connection is not strong with the two plugs and unfortunate weight distribution. I had to push it in extra tight before the car would start charging. Also because the cable is short, it is easy to trip on when walking by as there is not enough extra cable to easily drape it flat along the garage floor.

My solution for the short plug was to rearrange my garage, and put the Model S in the third bay. The car has been exiled to the back of the garage. The third bay has storage cabinets and a shelf with two sets of outlets. In this configuration, I can rest the plug on the open shelf, and get a much tighter seal.

3. While in this new configuration, I did have the fuse trip during one day of charging. I did not notice this and lost a lot of charging opportunity time. I had driven quite a bit the day before, so this was unfortunate. So far, the fuse has only tripped once, but I have only had the car for one week, so time will tell. But I can easily monitor this from the wonderful Tesla App. Would be even nicer if the app sent you a text message when power was interrupted.

4. I would also prefer to not use electricity during PGE peak periods, so my car will cost more to drive until the adaptor arrives.

Last edited:
1. The cable is quite short, the model S is quite long, and the plug is in the back of the car. I think even a few more feet of cable would be a great improvement. Particularly in light of the wording in their contract "that an extension cord should never be used to charge your vehicle."

Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't get to change this. NEC 625 says that the UMC must have its circuit protection within 12" of the plug, and the cable can't be more than 25' long without a built-in cable management system. The UMC's cord is reportedly 18' long, so there's some additional room to work, but there might be an engineering reason.

2. The 110 adaptor plug is an awkward shape. I think it should be more "short and wide" then "long and narrow". When plugged into a high socket, the weight of the plug and wire make it difficult to keep a strong connection. The first outlet is about 3 feet off the ground. Reminds me of days when you had to travel with an adaptor plug and a transformer to switch voltage.

Such is the downside of a multi-plug adapter system. Short of a dedicated, separate-part 125V EVSE, this is the way the adapters work. For what it's worth, the adapter is only slightly larger than standard healthcare-listed plugs.

3. While in this new configuration, I did have the fuse trip during one day of charging. I did not notice this and lost a lot of charging opportunity time. I had driven quite a bit the day before, so this was unfortunate. So far, the fuse has only tripped once, but I have only had the car for one week, so time will tell. But I can easily monitor this from the wonderful Tesla App. Would be even nicer if the app sent you a text message when power was interrupted.

What else is on that circuit? Do you have a freezer in the garage, or perhaps some other appliances?

PS... the font selection in your post makes it very difficult to quote / respond to, as every line is tagged with COLOR="#333333". You may want to reset your font selection?

Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't get to change this. NEC 625 says that the UMC must have its circuit protection within 12" of the plug, and the cable can't be more than 25' long without a built-in cable management system. The UMC's cord is reportedly 18' long, so there's some additional room to work, but there might be an engineering reason.

Such is the downside of a multi-plug adapter system. Short of a dedicated, separate-part 125V EVSE, this is the way the adapters work. For what it's worth, the adapter is only slightly larger than standard healthcare-listed plugs.

So this boils down to dollars then? Another $500 for a longer cord with a cable management system, or a 2nd cord completely for 110?

What else is on that circuit? Do you have a freezer in the garage, or perhaps some other appliances?

Nope, nothing. Just open circuits for the garage. I do have an elliptical trainer plugged in, but I turn it off when not in use.

PS... the font selection in your post makes it very difficult to quote / respond to, as every line is tagged with COLOR="#333333". You may want to reset your font selection?

I tried to guess what the default font was here, and after a few tries picked one of my old favorites. I switched it to boring Arial.

So this boils down to dollars then? Another $500 for a longer cord with a cable management system, or a 2nd cord completely for 110?

Sorry, this was more of Tesla's choice in what they could offer. To make the plug smaller, they could have done a dedicated 125V EVSE, but engineering, listing, etc. would make it quite expensive, and 125V is pretty limited in what it can do in terms of charging. Instead, they created the fully modular UMC as an EVSE.

Nope, nothing. Just open circuits for the garage. I do have an elliptical trainer plugged in, but I turn it off when not in use.

Your circuit breaker shouldn't be tripping then, if the car only tries to draw 12A. If it happens more often you might need to replace your breaker or check for a problem in the wiring.

I tried to guess what the default font was here, and after a few tries picked one of my old favorites. I switched it to boring Arial.

It was easier to quote this one. :)

You can totally use an extension cord. Just have it ridiculously oversize and not too long. From my various EV measurements at people's houses and apartment complexes, your house with a properly sized, 10 foot extension cord will still have better voltage than someone's wall socket in an apartment complex parking garage.

How about this:

Reconfigure the HPC for 50 amps, replace the breaker with a 50 amp breaker, and installed a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on the same circuit right next to the HPC? Your roadster will charge slower, but your Model S will charge faster. Just don't try to charge both at the same time.

You can totally use an extension cord. Just have it ridiculously oversize and not too long. From my various EV measurements at people's houses and apartment complexes, your house with a properly sized, 10 foot extension cord will still have better voltage than someone's wall socket in an apartment complex parking garage.

This is one of those "will it work" versus "is it legal" things.

Will it work? yes. The FAQ speaks to this and the requirements for a good extension cord.

Is it legal? No. NEC 110.3(B) states that you must follow manufacturer's instructions for all listed equipment. Tesla says "no extension cords". According to my insurance policy, failure to follow the law (NEC adopted with some amendments is the law here) is a reason they can deny a claim if your home burns down, regardless of whether your car or charging caused the fire!

- - - Updated - - -

Reconfigure the HPC for 50 amps, replace the breaker with a 50 amp breaker, and installed a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on the same circuit right next to the HPC? Your roadster will charge slower, but your Model S will charge faster. Just don't try to charge both at the same time.

Yes, this is acceptable.

How about this:

thanks for the suggestion. The Roadster is actually up for sale. Couldn't justify keeping them both.

I have thought of putting in a 220 outlet right there, but I figure I already paid the $600 for the adaptor. Might be cheaper to pay the electrician but I'd still have the short cord issue.

Owner;273587[COLOR=#333333 said:
"that an extension cord should never be used to charge your vehicle."
I was trying to find (again) this quote a couple days ago. Where is it again?

I've been meaning to ask Tesla about it in more detail because, especially for the campground scenario, I'd like to have the option to use an extension cord infrequently rather than never.

I was trying to find (again) this quote a couple days ago. Where is it again?

I've been meaning to ask Tesla about it in more detail because, especially for the campground scenario, I'd like to have the option to use an extension cord infrequently rather than never.

Mobile Connector Owners Manual, third page:

Do not use an extension cord, power strip, multi-outlet adapter, multi-plugs or conversion plugs to plug in the Mobile Connector

Mobile Connector Owners Manual, third page:

Do not use an extension cord, power strip, multi-outlet adapter, multi-plugs or conversion plugs to plug in the Mobile Connector
First time I've seen that PDF (accessible via the link on the My Tesla page).

The one I'm remembering was in another document, but that's a good start for the conversation with Tesla.

Thanks for the pointer.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, by "contract" I suspect he meant MVPA...
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13228-Model-S-paperwork?p=262975&viewfull=1#post262975
... but my MVPA from June 2012 didn't have this clause.

Interesting.

If you already have the Roadster HPC, just simply order the Clipper Creek J1772 cable and switch it out. Since the Model S comes with the J1772 adapter and your Roadster is up for sale this is the best solution. This will also let you have other EV's charge at your place. I did this and it works great.

If you already have the Roadster HPC, just simply order the Clipper Creek J1772 cable and switch it out. Since the Model S comes with the J1772 adapter and your Roadster is up for sale this is the best solution. This will also let you have other EV's charge at your place. I did this and it works great.

Interesting suggestion. Will be marginally more pricey than the Tesla solution. I don't expect many other EVs to be charging at my house. There is also a charge point a couple of miles away if I had a flurry of guests needing to charge.

My "MOTOR VEHICLE PURCHASE AGREEMENT, PRE-DELIVERY" doesn't have that section.

As for the paperwork signed when taking delivery, I don't seem to have a copy of that. Hm.

I have two Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreements. I caved in and got 21" wheels, but not performance.

My first one in December 2012 did not have this clause, my January 2013 does have this clause.