Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lizards got into my locked Model X!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We normally do not allow eating in the X, but I had to pick up my son before school lunch for a doctor's appointment, so I let him start eating in the parking lot before the appointment. He wasn't done by the time we had to go in, so we just left the chicken caesar salad in the locked car, thinking he could finish after. Doors were closed and locked. We came out to 2 lizards feasting on his salad! Pretty sure they would not have been in the car before that. I guess the seals are not tight enough to keep them out? We've never had water intrusion or wind noise or anything like that, the seals look ok to me. Anything to be concerned about? Any techniques for finding out exactly where the seals are not tight?
IMG_20200123_121615438_HDRcropped.jpg

IMG_20200123_121615438_HDR.jpg

Those are anoles they eat bugs not greens.

They were likely in a door gap somewhere and when the door was opened darted inward, likely within the previous day.

One time after I got back to WI after an emergency road trip to Tampa I spotted a small gecko on my garage door doubt he made it till frost and definitely not past

Those are really good pictures, like a photo shoot on National Geography! LOL @Mayo on Geico. If you look at the thread on spilled M&Ms, it appears there are holes under the carpet connecting to the battery compartment under. I think they are probably there to vent the heat. Also there was another thread about mouse coming in chewing thru the glove compartment. Although lizard probably won't chew thru air filter like a mouse would.

As someone interested in lizards (trained in herpetology in Arizona and California) and the Tesla Model X, your thread has made my day. Thank you.

I am not an expert on Florida lizards, but yes they look like anoles, or close relatives, which I believe are insectivorous as adults. (I remember having some, purchased from a circus and pet stores, as a kid. Fed on meal worms.) Common iguanas, the big ones that parts of Florida now have, are herbivores as adults and would like your son's salad--but not the vinegary dressing. But these are not baby iguanas, which also eat insects anyway, I believe.

American Chameleon - 1.jpg American Chameleon - 2.jpg

The ones pictured above are common (green?) anoles (like from the Carolinas). Could these be brown anoles? Looks like Florida has a bunch of anolis species either native or introduced by Man over time from the Caribbean islands and possibly even Central and South America. So maybe they are a related Anolis species, and not native to Florida? Any Florida reptile experts out there with a Model X? Just be glad it wasn't an alligator, diamondback rattlesnake, or Burmese python. Ha, ha.

Anyway, as to their presence in the car--big mystery. My best guesses:
  • Lizards were already in the car (from openings in trunk area or wherever)?
  • Your son had already captured them for school or whatever (and was being secretive about it)?
  • Other kids put the lizards in your sons stuff as a prank, and they got out?
It is hard to separate lizard from boys (and some girls), anywhere in the world.

If the lizards were actually eating the lettuce, interesting. Could they be attracted to small unseen bugs (gnats?) on the lettuce? Or maybe just to the color of the leaves?

Did you have dog(/lizard) mode on? (Ha, ha.) If not, maybe they got over-heated and the lettuce was moist and cool? As I recall, they like warmth, but also moisture/humidity, The warming lettuce might have been the perfect environment. For some types of field research we used to catch lizards and take body temperatures (with anal thermometers in the cloaca. How rude!). This is crucial. Did you happen to acquire their temperatures and that of the inside of the car? (Just kidding.)

If they are the common American anole, these (cute) lizards (which used to be incorrectly called American/Carolina chameleons) can be either predominantly green or brown and can change color, correct? (Though not as comprehensively and quickly as true old-world chameleons.) Maybe they would eventually have changed to green on the lettuce? (But if I remember correctly, color had more to do with emotional state.)

Blah, blah. (Aging herp nerd.) Sorry.

Last edited:
If it helps, they were very jumpy. When I chased them off, they just jumped around, didn't do any running at all. As far as them having been in the car already, that is actually a good possibility come to think of it. I remember hearing some thumps the day before, and thought to check for loose items, it could have been them jumping around. Also it was a chicken caesar salad, so there were some chunks of chicken exposed.

...So maybe they are...not native to Florida?

OMG! It just occurred to me. If they were introduced, that means,...they are illegal resident aliens! Yikes! For God's sake do not alert ICE or their boss, the President! Your car could be deported (back to Fremont, CA) and your children impounded! (Ha, ha.)

ICE & Lizard.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: rdskill
I put some flattened cardboard boxes that had been out on our porch into the trunk of my S to take to a recycling dumpster. As soon as I set them down, a HUGE cockroach ran out of the cardboard and into a crevice by the rear seats. I never could find him again, but I sprayed a whole lot of RAID in and around the back seat. :D

...RAID...

Yech! Good job. I have "cardboard roaches" (that is my name for them) that live in the garage, also. For future encounters, I might recommend a safer alternative. Boric acid powder (available from some pharmacies or on the Internet) desiccates insects (like fleas, ants, and such) without poisoning you or your passengers. Doesn't stain and can be vacuumed up easily after a few days. (Great for ant and flea infestations in rugs.) Who knows what Raid does to the upholstery (and your kids & pets).

Or,...(And this could be an entry in the "killing two birds with one stone Department.") you can go old school and introduce a somewhat less icky controlling predator species--like LIZARDS! (Ha, ha.) (Then how do you get rid of the, now plump, lizards? Snakes! Then mongooses, etc.)

Seriously, lizards love roaches. (Used to feed our cute pet western banded gecko, "Jose," roaches from the house and yard where I was living in Tempe, AZ. Unlike their irritable, squeaking relatives in Hawaii and Cairo, these Arizona native gekos are nice and have a real personality. No biting. They are nocturnal, though.)

Gecko.jpg

Anyway, I recommend that you immediately PM YellyYeti and set something up for a nominal fee. Win-win situation. (Like using goats to crop weeds.) Or you can head out into the Arizona desert to get your own. Just no gila monsters, though.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
For years there have been stories about uninvited wild animals in cars. Bees, snakes, mice, rats, raccoons--you name it. I think Click and Clack (Tom and Ray of NPR fame) used to address this issue occasionally.

I was just over at the Inside EV forum site suggesting that electric vehicles could unfortunately be a much better environment for small animals--no nasty ICE with its fumes, oil, and excessive heat. EV drivers may just have to expect a certain number of unexpected visitors. Lizards are generally harmless, and actually may help remove insects in the car. But rodents--not so good.

*****​

Eriamjh1138, is that a "cyber owl?"