Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y steering locked up while driving [Power steering went out]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The steering didn't lock up, but the power steering went out. This can happen on any car. It's much harder to turn steering wheels today (when the power steering fails) because many cars using electric power steering assist instead of hydraulic (older day).

I'm not calling you a liar. I agree it's a bad situation and it should be fixed. Only noting that the steering didn't "lock" and power steering can fail on any car (EV or ICE).

I hope your repair is swift and successful.

Reactions: fiehlsport
So wait... what happens when you get in the card and you need to swipe your key card to "start it." Is the steering locked, or is that just the fell without the power steering? I'm hesitant to really yank on it to see if I could get the wheels to move because it certainly feels locked (a little give left and right but quickly comes to a lock point).

This happened in June 2023 to my wife in our driveway, accompanied by a notice on the dashboard “condition detected in a vehicle controller.” This is 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor. Turned out to be a defective Front Controller, a component that looks like a microcomputer that sits behind the 12v battery in the frunk. It controls a wide range of low-voltage functions, including power steering. After a transporter hauled the car to the service center, the controller was replaced for $750 and all was back to normal. I never was able to see whether the car could have been steered while at road speed, but it certainly felt “locked” when parked.

So wait... what happens when you get in the card and you need to swipe your key card to "start it." Is the steering locked, or is that just the fell without the power steering? I'm hesitant to really yank on it to see if I could get the wheels to move because it certainly feels locked (a little give left and right but quickly comes to a lock point).
Like any car with no power steering, you need to have the wheels rolling to free it up. Even just 1mph will allow you to start turning the wheel. With the super-fast steering ratio on these cars, the effort is exacerbated since small inputs = large amount of steering. That's probably why it feels "locked up" to those that experience this failure.

Reactions: KevinT3141
The steering wheel locking incident just happened to us!! New car (bought it 6 weeks ago!). Thankfully was on the right side of the road so was able to get off the road and stop. It’s most likely related somehow to the Lane Assist feature because that’s showing as disabled.

Reset a few times and don’t fix the problem. What worked is switching off all road assist features (Lane Assist, Auto braking, etc). Was able to get steering wheel control and drive it to the service/dealership.

waiting to hear back from the Service team.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Hi All
New over here and a new owner of Model Y( we purchase 6 months ago). I read this and unfortunately my wife was not that lucky yesterday and the car slammed into a car parked on the side of the road less than 150 meters from our house. She is fine and safe with a few injuries. Neighborhood speed and we go past the car we slammed almost everyday. As per her, the car took over and she could not turn it. This is totally unacceptable and I have asked her to open a case with Tesla to get diagnostics data to see if it was her or the car, while the insurance do their work. Hard for me to believe she will run on that road into that car on her own. My son was also in the car and was shaken up.
Should I wait for the report to come or should I report this to NHTSA immediately?
I am so disappointed to see all these reports and from a safety viewpoint, we should not at all be even discussing this here.
Thank you

Attachments

• Image 2024-02-19 at 8.03.29 AM.jpeg
    Image 2024-02-19 at 8.03.29 AM.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Image 2024-02-19 at 8.02.34 AM (2).jpeg
    Image 2024-02-19 at 8.02.34 AM (2).jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Image 2024-02-19 at 8.02.34 AM (1).jpeg
    Image 2024-02-19 at 8.02.34 AM (1).jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Image 2024-02-19 at 8.02.34 AM.jpeg
    Image 2024-02-19 at 8.02.34 AM.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 13
Hi All
New over here and a new owner of Model Y( we purchase 6 months ago). I read this and unfortunately my wife was not that lucky yesterday and the car slammed into a car parked on the side of the road less than 150 meters from our house. She is fine and safe with a few injuries. Neighborhood speed and we go past the car we slammed almost everyday. As per her, the car took over and she could not turn it. This is totally unacceptable and I have asked her to open a case with Tesla to get diagnostics data to see if it was her or the car, while the insurance do their work. Hard for me to believe she will run on that road into that car on her own. My son was also in the car and was shaken up.
Should I wait for the report to come or should I report this to NHTSA immediately?
I am so disappointed to see all these reports and from a safety viewpoint, we should not at all be even discussing this here.
Thank you
Something doesn't add up. That impact looks massive. And the impact blasted the red car from being parked longwise on the street all the way up into that driveway!!!!!! It's hard to tell from the photo, but also possibly spun the red car around 360 degrees???