Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Load balancing issues while charging my model 3 after new update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a 3x25 AMP house connection and many electrical appliances, to save costs on creating a heavier house connection i bought a Wallbox EV charger with a Load Balancing system. This system uses the free space i have in my house connection for charging the Tesla. The idea is not to load at 3x6 amp, since this will not fill my battery up during the night ( 24 km/hour). The charger also stops charging when there is less than 6 amp available on any of my 3 connections. I have learned that the Tesla must be in guard mode to restart after a stop, this does provide problems when the car is below 20% charge level and the system stops prior to reaching 21% charge. SInce the guard mode is switched of and the cars stops charging when there is sufficient amps available again....

Solution 1 : create a choice in the tesla software to maintain guard mode when the charge is below 20% but the car is connected to the charger. Or reduce the guard mode switch of point to 5% charge level.

Second problem is that the Tesla has difficulty with changing charge power. Due to the load balancing the charging changes from 3x16 to 3x6 and anything in between depending on the power needs of my house. After some time the Tesla remains on 3x6 Amps recently. It seems to be due to the new software update. since this reduces my charging speed from 64 KM/hour to 24 km/hour it is extremely annoying to see my car half charged in the morning, although there was enough power available. The last weeks it remains at 6 amps consistently while at the tesla display clearly it shows that 14 or 16 amps are available from the charger. It seems that Tesla has added this feature to protect home owners when they have poor instable power connections, however with load balancing you actually deliberately create an instable charging current. SInce it is the Tesla Software that does this i propose the following solution for the next update :

Solution 2 : create a button to active load balanced charging which blocks teslas software response to changing currents due to external changes.

GIven the fact that the electricity grid is getting more and more overloaded, load balancing is one of the solutions. Especially in the netherlands where a larger connection to your house costs a fortune per month additional. Tesla owners should be provided a choice how their car is loaded and Tesla chargers did not provide load balancing options when i checked.

Reactions: eprosenx
Hi,

I have a 3x25 AMP house connection and many electrical appliances, to save costs on creating a heavier house connection i bought a Wallbox EV charger with a Load Balancing system. This system uses the free space i have in my house connection for charging the Tesla. The idea is not to load at 3x6 amp, since this will not fill my battery up during the night ( 24 km/hour). The charger also stops charging when there is less than 6 amp available on any of my 3 connections. I have learned that the Tesla must be in guard mode to restart after a stop, this does provide problems when the car is below 20% charge level and the system stops prior to reaching 21% charge. SInce the guard mode is switched of and the cars stops charging when there is sufficient amps available again....

Solution 1 : create a choice in the tesla software to maintain guard mode when the charge is below 20% but the car is connected to the charger. Or reduce the guard mode switch of point to 5% charge level.

Second problem is that the Tesla has difficulty with changing charge power. Due to the load balancing the charging changes from 3x16 to 3x6 and anything in between depending on the power needs of my house. After some time the Tesla remains on 3x6 Amps recently. It seems to be due to the new software update. since this reduces my charging speed from 64 KM/hour to 24 km/hour it is extremely annoying to see my car half charged in the morning, although there was enough power available. The last weeks it remains at 6 amps consistently while at the tesla display clearly it shows that 14 or 16 amps are available from the charger. It seems that Tesla has added this feature to protect home owners when they have poor instable power connections, however with load balancing you actually deliberately create an instable charging current. SInce it is the Tesla Software that does this i propose the following solution for the next update :

Solution 2 : create a button to active load balanced charging which blocks teslas software response to changing currents due to external changes.

GIven the fact that the electricity grid is getting more and more overloaded, load balancing is one of the solutions. Especially in the netherlands where a larger connection to your house costs a fortune per month additional. Tesla owners should be provided a choice how their car is loaded and Tesla chargers did not provide load balancing options when i checked.

I have no brilliant suggestions for you other than to say I think you understand the issue fully and your writeup is excellent.

This sounds like it needs to be a software fix on Tesla's side.

Indeed, as you point out, there are a lot of areas of the world that don't have ridiculously oversized electrical services like we do here in the USA (typically). Setups like yours that monitor real time usage and ramp the vehicle charge load to stay under that cap make all the sense in the world and they need to rapidly become more popular in order to further EV adoption.

We need to help you apply pressure to Tesla to fix this (assuming it is not some interaction with your Wallbox EV charger software).

Please keep us updated if you find a resolution!

Thanks for your reaction,

I managed to fix a number off issues with the charger and helped them to improve their product too, I am very sure it is the software that creates this issue.

The car can not handle well the loading stops and starts when my house connection is loaded ( eg while cooking, washing, heating ), only in guard mode it restarts most of the time, ( until guard mode is switched of by low battery, then it stops when you need it the most ).

The power/amps variation problem is recent and if you look at the screen of the car it says : 6/14 amps. Which means the charger points out it can load at 14 amps, however tesla decides to stay at 6 amps.... At least in Guard mode it continues charging but at too low speed.

One thing you might try is using the app to restart or stop and restart the charging after you are finished with your high draw activities like cooking. That should allow the car to charge at the higher amps without going back to the car to unplug and replug or manually increase the amps on the screen. The app can also force the charging start even when the battery is too low to keep Sentry mode active and automatic charging restart.

Thanks, I usually charge the car during the night, therefore i can not sit and restart the app everytime my heat pump starts or the washing machine needs power, I try again tonight, and i think that it has a lot to do with the order at which you start the charging. I will lead the thread know if succesfull.

Apparently i found a workaround for the above problems.

Put your car in park mode at the charger spot
place the car in guard mode
klick on the charging menu
change the amps to 16 with a grey + ( so in fact max power )
Plug in the charger cable

Especially the last 2 points should not be performed in another order. You can not apply a higher amps rating as the charger provides at that moment with load balancing. After some time when the charger only gives 6 amps the tesla takes this over and does not raise it again, even if the load balanced charger could give 16 amps and provides this signal to the Tesla. Using the above order provides restart when the charger needs to stop because of power usage at home ( Guard mode is there essential ) and keeps the amps to maximum.

Last night the car charged to 90% from 30% in 5 hours and 18 minutes.