Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Loading Error" when playing from flash drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months ago I started getting very intermittent loading errors when playing my music from a flash drive. I replaced the drive but the errors continued.

The flash drive contains a mix of mp3s, m4a, and flac. The loading error can happen on any file, and after it occurs, I can touch "previous" and the song will then play fine.

Once the loading error happens, system audio is muted for several seconds, this includes safety warnings and even the turn indicator sound.

Has anyone else hit the same thing? It's been around for several updates now and is very annoying.

A few months ago I started getting very intermittent loading errors when playing my music from a flash drive. I replaced the drive but the errors continued.

The flash drive contains a mix of mp3s, m4a, and flac. The loading error can happen on any file, and after it occurs, I can touch "previous" and the song will then play fine.

Once the loading error happens, system audio is muted for several seconds, this includes safety warnings and even the turn indicator sound.

Has anyone else hit the same thing? It's been around for several updates now and is very annoying.

yes, in fact plenty of discussion about USB Loading Errors already (among many other longstanding USB audio bugs) in this thread: Comprehensive USB Bug List

TL;DR version:
in my experience the USB music player used to play a mix of M4A, MP3 audio flawlessly, until one of the software updates last summer, then after that frequent random Loading Errors. In my further testing I've discovered that USB Loading Errors only seem to occur on .M4A/AAC tracks, but not on MP3. 100% repeatable across different USB devices of various brands and sizes, with very large or very small number of files on the USB, and in multiple different cars. Bug reported to Tesla multiple times but so far they ignore the reports. Still happening on the latest version of software I have on my car, v8.1 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d

btw I have sometimes noticed the turn signal sound muted for the first couple "ticks", but never associated it with USB loading errors, I've assumed they were just separate random occurences...

• Love
Reactions: neroden
yes, in fact plenty of discussion about USB Loading Errors already (among many other longstanding USB audio bugs) in this thread: Comprehensive USB Bug List

TL;DR version:
in my experience the USB music player used to play a mix of M4A, MP3 audio flawlessly, until one of the software updates last summer, then after that frequent random Loading Errors. In my further testing I've discovered that USB Loading Errors only seem to occur on .M4A/AAC tracks, but not on MP3. 100% repeatable across different USB devices of various brands and sizes, with very large or very small number of files on the USB, and in multiple different cars. Bug reported to Tesla multiple times but so far they ignore the reports. Still happening on the latest version of software I have on my car, v8.1 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d

btw I have sometimes noticed the turn signal sound muted for the first couple "ticks", but never associated it with USB loading errors, I've assumed they were just separate random occurences...

ALL audio is muted including the early collision warnings. It's a safety concern too.

hey @Koryin - I think you're onto something with your observation of audio muting

I just did some testing in my Model S and confirm that whenever USB Loading Errors occur, if you happen to be using the turn signal or 4-way flasher at the time or shortly after the loading error, there will be a few seconds where there's no "clicking" sound of the turn signals.

I'm going to post an update over in the Comprehensive USB Bug List thread for completeness there, but good catch. BTW have you noticed this muting during early collision warnings? Although it's easy to reproduce the USB Loading Errors, I don't want to try testing that case ...

• Love
Reactions: neroden and David29
hey @Koryin - I think you're onto something with your observation of audio muting

I just did some testing in my Model S and confirm that whenever USB Loading Errors occur, if you happen to be using the turn signal or 4-way flasher at the time or shortly after the loading error, there will be a few seconds where there's no "clicking" sound of the turn signals.

I'm going to post an update over in the Comprehensive USB Bug List thread for completeness there, but good catch. BTW have you noticed this muting during early collision warnings? Although it's easy to reproduce the USB Loading Errors, I don't want to try testing that case ...

I *believe* the early collision warnings are muted as well. I vaguely remember testing that a few months ago when I first contacted the service centre about it. I'll see if I can check again.

Well, it mutes the autopilot notifications but I haven't been able to get the timing done for testing the collision warnings yet (They're easy to cause, but only in specific situations).
I confirmed today a USB loading error also momentarily mutes the chime sounds you normally hear when you lock or unlock the car with the fob when sitting in the car. There's some delay between the time the Loading Error message first appears on the screen and the muting of sounds, so I haven't yet been able to figure out the timing but I figure I'd be able to mute the normal startup sounds you hear when you press on the brake to start the car

this plus the other observations lead me to believe that all the in-car sounds and alerts, including early collision warnings, would be momentarily muted by this bug. (would be great if you could confirm) - so yeah, likely a potential safety issue IMO

even just with the turn signal indicator being muted - each time it happens I'm always naturally forced to look to see if the indicator on the dash is blinking or not, thereby taking my eye off the road for a few seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
i found a solution to this after exhaustively trying different USB drives. Seems the problem is iTunes Music in aac format - solution was to convert everything on the drive to MP3 format.

1. Get Mediamonkey (Trial version includes 30 days of the converter). I decided to go gold as it worked for me
2. Select the USB drive with the files (use ALL)
3. right click on the columns add one for file format (or file extension) so you can sort by extension or type. You might find like me you have a lot of non-mp3. Select all those files
4. Tools --> Convert --> select MP3 and the 192kps or whatever u desire

Before I was getting stuck on every 5th or song it seemed on this 2018 Model S loaner - now all of them are playing! I skipped thru 50+ songs with no hiccups.

i found a solution to this after exhaustively trying different USB drives. Seems the problem is iTunes Music in aac format - solution was to convert everything on the drive to MP3 format.

1. Get Mediamonkey (Trial version includes 30 days of the converter). I decided to go gold as it worked for me
2. Select the USB drive with the files (use ALL)
3. right click on the columns add one for file format (or file extension) so you can sort by extension or type. You might find like me you have a lot of non-mp3. Select all those files
4. Tools --> Convert --> select MP3 and the 192kps or whatever u desire

Before I was getting stuck on every 5th or song it seemed on this 2018 Model S loaner - now all of them are playing! I skipped thru 50+ songs with no hiccups.
I've seen this happen with flac, aac, AND mp3 files.

Reactions: cybergates