Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner Model S rear ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a loaner with Auto Pilot only 2k on the clock was driving back to Dania Beach to turn it in and pick up my car
Sitting at a red and Bang read ended by a old Chevy suburban
The cop could not even find my car as it had not been registered he said it doesn't exist that great I thought then I will not have to explain the damaged rear bumper to Tesla.

Now the question is when I turn it back in do I ask Tesla to handle the crash and peruse his insurance (He was ticketed) or do I have to use my insurance even though it was no fault this is the second no fault I have had in 6 months.
I do not want the insurance company to drop me cause of two accidents?

IMAG0435.jpg

Last edited:
Had a loaner with Auto Pilot only 2k on the clock was driving back to Dania Beach to turn it in and pick up my car
Sitting at a red and Bang read ended by a old Chevy suburban
The cop could not even find my car as it had not been registered he said it doesn't exist that great I thought then I will not have to explain the damaged rear bumper to Tesla.

Now the question is when I turn it back in do I ask Tesla to handle the crash and peruse his insurance (He was ticketed) or do I have to use my insurance even though it was no fault this is the second no fault I have had in 6 months.
I do not want the insurance company to drop me cause of two accidents?

The other day I was driving in Dallas and I heard the car coming behind me apply sudden brake....geez I thought ...I was lucky that this guy did not rear end me...sometimes you wonder if they are so involved in texting

This is a fear I have when I sign up for the loaner ....I hope Tesla does not ask for your insurance since this is no fault of yours.

Keep us posted

On a related note, I got pulled over in a Tesla loaner car from Orlando, and the cop also told me that the car "did not exist" and "was not registered".

Cop doesn't know what he's talking about. Tesla runs MFG California plates on most loaners. Some cops don't realize they need to run THE ENTIRE PLATE. For example if the plate is configured MFG horizontally then 61377 then 51C horizontally again, the entire plate is 6137751C but will sill come up "Not On File" so long as i's not reported stolen. If they have concerns, they can call the US Dept of Justice (or Canadian equivalent) for guidance but the paperwork given to you by Tesla is your "registration" for the lack of a better term.

If full autonomous driving were enabled on the Tesla, it could possibly have avoided being hit as soon as the computer saw it was in danger (by pulling forward to a safe position).

The number of accidents is going to fall dramatically over the next 30 years once robots are the primary drivers of our cars.

If full autonomous driving were enabled on the Tesla, it could possibly have avoided being hit as soon as the computer saw it was in danger (by pulling forward to a safe position).

The number of accidents is going to fall dramatically over the next 30 years once robots are the primary drivers of our cars.

"Your premium has increased because of two incidents during the past year. I'm afraid that I don't have all the details. You'll have to ask your car what it was doing."

Doesn't Mercedes, without full autonomous, already have this feature? That's where a rear-radar would come in handy.