Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Location based "walk away lock"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could have swore I saw a youtube video showing a "new" option where walk away lock feature could automatically be disabled/enabled based on whether you are home/work/etc.

But I can't find the video and no info on some searches. I'm on 12.1.2 and can only enable/disable the feature. Anyone have any info on this?

Having lock turn off at home makes no sense because if simply GPS based and in the driveway reads as in the garage and you car stays unlocked and you get robbed.......

I understand wanting it but don't think it is practical on actual application.

When you always park in the garage, it makes perfect sense. I could easily lock in manually on the rare occasions I park in the driveway.

When you always park in the garage, it makes perfect sense. I could easily lock in manually on the rare occasions I park in the driveway.
Exactly, I'm parking in my secure garage. Sentry mode already has this feature so I imagine that auto-lock could use the same logic, too. Note: I'm a software developer so I *know* that things might not be as simple as they seem from the outside -- but this one doesn't seem that difficult (in the do-I-need-to-lock-the-doors-because-the-owner-walked-away code, I check my current location and if it is "home", don't automagically lock the doors).

Yes, I want this as well. As it is, I try to remember to unlock the car as I walk into the house and put my phone down so that it’s unlocked if I want to add or remove something from the car later. It’s funny how often it’s annoying that it has locked itself at home in the garage. (Same for my girlfriend and her Model 3.)

Leave a spare key card in the garage? Guess then someone could steal the car with it ... unless you use PIN to drive.

There’s probably “an app for that”. Schedule unlock based on GPS location.

Would be nice maybe if it was a notification on your phone and you accepted it.

“You seem to be home with your car in the garage. Should I unlock it?”
OK / CANCEL

Hmm, actually... maybe this idea is secure enough to automate:
If gps indicates at home and car is locked, unlock it and turn on PIN-to-drive.

Or, just leave the spare key card in the garage and have PIN-to-drive be GPS-based.

I think the issue is that the location isn't accurate enough to be able to know in vs out of garage... as it is now for sentry mode, in your garage, in your driveway, in front of the house, essentially near your street address is "home"

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
I think the issue is that the location isn't accurate enough to be able to know in vs out of garage... as it is now for sentry mode, in your garage, in your driveway, in front of the house, essentially near your street address is "home"
It doesn't matter that the car can't detect it's actually in the garage. They should just make it an opt-in switch, with always auto-lock as the default. I always park in my garage and if I did have to park it outside for whatever reason, I could explicitly lock it then (which is what we do now with our other cars). Otherwise, leave my car unlocked at "home".

The M3 gps is very accurate. I have home link and it has several features that are location based: open close garage door and fold and unfold the mirrors when near home. This is how it works:

When backing out of the garage, the home link info pane comes up and states "closing garage door in 5 ft..." then as I continue to back out it counts down 4, 3, 2, 1 - boom garage closes. I cont to back out into the street and about ~50 ft down the street, the mirrors un-fold.

On approach to garage, about 50 ft away, the mirrors fold as I get close the garage (distance is a custom setting and I have it set for 30ft) it chimes and opens the garage door.

This has worked flawlessly. My only thinking is that for simplicity and idiot-proof-ness, they don't have any option to control how walk-away lock works.

I've turned off walk-away door locking because it drives me nuts that the car will otherwise lock itself in my garage. The car knows to fold the mirrors and open the garage door when I enter my driveway. Why the hell can't it also disable walk-away locking at the same time? It's so easy. PLEASE, Elon?

It doesn't matter that the car can't detect it's actually in the garage. They should just make it an opt-in switch, with always auto-lock as the default. I always park in my garage and if I did have to park it outside for whatever reason, I could explicitly lock it then (which is what we do now with our other cars). Otherwise, leave my car unlocked at "home".

it doesn't matter to you, but it probably matters to tesla. add an option like this, and they're opening themselves up to idiots trying to sue them and/or gathering tons of bad press for leaving their car unlocked because they forgot to lock it themselves the one time they parked outside instead of inside the garage. they don't want to have to deal with "my car never locked and now i had thousands of dollars worth of stuff stolen while the car was in my driveway" posts / news articles.

Reactions: RecognitionD
it doesn't matter to you, but it probably matters to tesla. add an option like this, and they're opening themselves up to idiots trying to sue them and/or gathering tons of bad press for leaving their car unlocked because they forgot to lock it themselves the one time they parked outside instead of inside the garage. they don't want to have to deal with "my car never locked and now i had thousands of dollars worth of stuff stolen while the car was in my driveway" posts / news articles.

I'd also like to see this as an option. Tesla could post a disclaimer just like they do for the BETA Autopilot. People should start being responsible for their decisions. I want the ability to choose.

Reactions: Matsayz