Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Location of front Louvers for cooling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged today and it was very warm here in Irvine....When I left, I had driven about 250 feet and the fans kicked in.....thought nothing of it, but when I got home (2.5 miles later), fans were very high....went in front to see it louvers were open......I looked under the headlight next to the fog light.....I saw three slats that were closed.....is that the louvers? and are they supposed to be open when cooling fan is operating?.....help please

I charged today and it was very warm here in Irvine....When I left, I had driven about 250 feet and the fans kicked in.....thought nothing of it, but when I got home (2.5 miles later), fans were very high....went in front to see it louvers were open......I looked under the headlight next to the fog light.....I saw three slats that were closed.....is that the louvers? and are they supposed to be open when cooling fan is operating?.....help please

I have noticed that too with my car, that the system kicks in sometimes when you are pulling away from the supercharger. One time it happened when it was literally single digits out here and I was surprised, although I had been on the road for 2+ hours prior to charging. I know the system sometimes uses the AC to cool the battery. I am not sure if the vents open when that happens. I have no plans for supercharging soon, but I will look next time.

It is far more sophisticated than it appears; these aren't ICE vehicles but brilliant EV's designed by those that invented the Octovalve . . . .

Even if the louvers are closed, the fans may run as they also pull air across the center heat exchanger if needed.

Up front, the MS and MX have one air-to-coolant (center) heat exchanger (a "radiator," if you will), and two air-to-refrigerant heat exchangers (A/C condensers, one at each side), and there are two damper doors at the sides of the center heat exchanger to manage air flow across that radiator (no dedicated fan for that one; it piggy-backs/borrows the forced air flow from the two electric fans, or uses ram air, or a combination thereof).

All that said, in extremely hot conditions I would expect the six louvers to be open and the fans at maximum speed. (But since the OP is in SoCal, and it's winter, I don't think that anything out of the ordinary is going on.)

The goal is to provide the needed system and cabin cooling with the least aero drag and overall energy consumption. Keeping the louvers closed as much as possible helps accomplish that goal.

It is far more sophisticated than it appears; these aren't ICE vehicles but brilliant EV's designed by those that invented the Octovalve . . . .

Even if the louvers are closed, the fans may run as they also pull air across the center heat exchanger if needed.

Up front, the MS and MX have one air-to-coolant (center) heat exchanger (a "radiator," if you will), and two air-to-refrigerant heat exchangers (A/C condensers, one at each side), and there are two damper doors at the sides of the center heat exchanger to manage air flow across that radiator (no dedicated fan for that one; it piggy-backs/borrows the forced air flow from the two electric fans, or uses ram air, or a combination thereof).

All that said, in extremely hot conditions I would expect the six louvers to be open and the fans at maximum speed. (But since the OP is in SoCal, and it's winter, I don't think that anything out of the ordinary is going on.)

The goal is to provide the needed system and cabin cooling with the least aero drag and overall energy consumption. Keeping the louvers closed as much as possible helps accomplish that goal.
thank you very much.....It did appear when I got home and fan running, the air was being pulled in from the center (leaves stuck to grid) but the side louvers were closed

thank you very much.....It did appear when I got home and fan running, the air was being pulled in from the center (leaves stuck to grid) but the side louvers were closed

Good. Likely working as designed. In this case, the heat gain was likely well managed by simply pulling air across the air-to-coolant heat exchanger, so no need to ramp up the compressor for additional cooling (there is a refrigerant-to-coolant chiller/heat exchanger in the system as well, AFAIK).

Once spring and summer arrive you'll see the louvers open up much more often.

Good. Likely working as designed. In this case, the heat gain was likely well managed by simply pulling air across the air-to-coolant heat exchanger, so no need to ramp up the compressor for additional cooling (there is a refrigerant-to-coolant chiller/heat exchanger in the system as well, AFAIK).

Once spring and summer arrive you'll see the louvers open up much more often.
thank again.....looks like I will be ok then....as we get closer to summer I'll find out

best way to verify your louvers are working is when you plug in to ANY type of charger the louvers will open and close shortly after plugging in as a test cycle.
If they don't do that you can have tesla do a diag and see which ones if not all are broken. Mine all 3 louvers broke but those are parts tesla sells, so i just bought them and installed it in my driveway. it's a relatively easy process to do you can use the free service manual at fixyourtesla.com if you need to see how it goes.