Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lock in Standard Height Position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

Santa brought me a Model X for Christmas and so I am just trying to learn all the ins and outs. This forum is very helpful.

I have a question. I like the car in the Standard Height position, but I can't find how to Lock in the Standard Height. Everytime I stop, shutdown and lock, then get back in the car, it has gone back to the Lower position. Is there any way to keep in the standard height position?

Hi all -

Santa brought me a Model X for Christmas and so I am just trying to learn all the ins and outs. This forum is very helpful.

I have a question. I like the car in the Standard Height position, but I can't find how to Lock in the Standard Height. Everytime I stop, shutdown and lock, then get back in the car, it has gone back to the Lower position. Is there any way to keep in the standard height position?
Yes, on the screen which you can use to change the height of the car choose "standard" and then down below where it says "change height at ...." select never.

It might be remembering a previous setting.

With the car on, unplugged and in park. Go to the Suspension tab. Near the top you should see a subtle message about it remembering your current location for height. There is a little X you can click to delete that memory.

Tesla has recalibrated the vehicles to STAY at the LOW setting as the new Standard - my understanding was this is because of the “shudder” issue that is all over the forums - apparently the stresses are reduced at the Low setting so all of them are being delivered with Low as the new Standard until they can figure out the actual problem.

I caution you on changing this setting until Tesla figures this thing out.

Tesla has recalibrated the vehicles to STAY at the LOW setting as the new Standard - my understanding was this is because of the “shudder” issue that is all over the forums - apparently the stresses are reduced at the Low setting so all of them are being delivered with Low as the new Standard until they can figure out the actual problem.

I caution you on changing this setting until Tesla figures this thing out.

But this causes excess wear on the inside tread of the tires. This isn't a solution.

I never said it was - and you’re wrong - I asked about that. They are re-aligning the vehicles at the “low” setting so the alignment is designed for that height.

The Standard will actually be a little bit out of alignment now...

How are they setting "low" as the new standard? I assume they are doing this with the speed adjustment set to "always". Problem with that is, I imagine customers will change it.

However, now that means standard (as you said) will be out of alignment. I've been in twice for the shuddering issue and they've never once said anything about changing the default (which they didn't) or the alignment. Neither of these things were reflected on my service order info

EDIT: I also was inferring you were suggesting it was a solution. I'm saying that Tesla's workaround isn't a solution. I've been extremely frustrated by the shuddering issue and I'm tired of them telling me to ride around in low mode. I shouldn't have to.

Reactions: Mjølner
How are they setting "low" as the new standard? I assume they are doing this with the speed adjustment set to "always". Problem with that is, I imagine customers will change it.

However, now that means standard (as you said) will be out of alignment. I've been in twice for the shuddering issue and they've never once said anything about changing the default (which they didn't) or the alignment. Neither of these things were reflected on my service order info

EDIT: I also was inferring you were suggesting it was a solution. I'm saying that Tesla's workaround isn't a solution. I've been extremely frustrated by the shuddering issue and I'm tired of them telling me to ride around in low mode. I shouldn't have to.
When I took delivery of my X on 12/20 I noticed it was set to Always Low - as you suggested - and after reading up on the shudder issue on the forums I knew they were doing this. I asked both the DS and the manager of the SC specifically about the alignment and affects of their setting it this way vs. “Standard” - they advised that this was the new “normal” from the factory until they could figure out the shudder issue as “Low” seemed to mitigate it somewhat and, as a result, they were now aligning the vehicles at this height setting.

I also asked about what would happen when my 22’s arrive for the spring and they told me they would have to adjust the suspension settings again (apparently there is a slight difference in the settings for the 22’s vs. the stock 20’s) and that they would then realign, again, at the “Low” setting to mitigate any wear on the tires. They also advised that when I rotate back to the 20’s for the winter they will have to reverse all of it.

I agree - Standard will now be out of alignment - though ever so slightly - which is why I warned the OP about changing that setting.

I have no idea what your SC has been told about how to deal with the issue or what they’ve told you - but as you can see from folks who have taken recent deliveries - this is what they are doing at this point (changing to Low) with new deliveries. I can only share what has been told to me.

I agree - this is NOT a solution to the problem - and as I said in my OP - I was advised that this is “until they can figure out the actual problem.”

When I took delivery of my X on 12/20 I noticed it was set to Always Low - as you suggested - and after reading up on the shudder issue on the forums I knew they were doing this. I asked both the DS and the manager of the SC specifically about the alignment and affects of their setting it this way vs. “Standard” - they advised that this was the new “normal” from the factory until they could figure out the shudder issue as “Low” seemed to mitigate it somewhat and, as a result, they were now aligning the vehicles at this height setting.

I also asked about what would happen when my 22’s arrive for the spring and they told me they would have to adjust the suspension settings again (apparently there is a slight difference in the settings for the 22’s vs. the stock 20’s) and that they would then realign, again, at the “Low” setting to mitigate any wear on the tires. They also advised that when I rotate back to the 20’s for the winter they will have to reverse all of it.

I agree - Standard will now be out of alignment - though ever so slightly - which is why I warned the OP about changing that setting.

I have no idea what your SC has been told about how to deal with the issue or what they’ve told you - but as you can see from folks who have taken recent deliveries - this is what they are doing at this point (changing to Low) with new deliveries. I can only share what has been told to me.

I agree - this is NOT a solution to the problem - and as I said in my OP - I was advised that this is “until they can figure out the actual problem.”

What's interesting is this appears to be a SC by SC SOP. I just pinged the SC manager that I work with over text and she said there has been no official communication about making low the new standard. They did say they will go in and change it for customers who complain but also mentioned they don't do a realignment either.

Tesla needs to get it together with this.

What's interesting is this appears to be a SC by SC SOP. I just pinged the SC manager that I work with over text and she said there has been no official communication about making low the new standard. They did say they will go in and change it for customers who complain but also mentioned they don't do a realignment either.

Tesla needs to get it together with this.
My understanding is that all new X’s are being delivered this way - the SC may need to speak with the DS to learn about this but all of the folks I have spoken to advise this is how they are now being delivered (including two other folks whom I have accompanied over the past few weeks when they got theirs) and the OP of this post who is in CA while I am in MD.

ZERO arguments out of me on Tesla unifying their comms - in my 3 years of being a Tesla owner (my S) I have seen this numerous times where SC’s are reporting one thing to customers and others a different thing.

I am sure you have read all of the different folks talking about the Shudder issue and all fo the different solutions (from the foam in the tires to actual hardware) from the different SC’s - there is no common message (let’s not even discuss the Slacker issue too).

As an early adopter of a new technology - and particularly one that evolves as quickly as Tesla’s do (software updates) I have just come to accept that, despite my $100K + vehicle they are still working the bugs out and I am willing to have some tolerance for this because I am an early adopter.

Luckily for me, my experiences overall left me so satisfied with my first Tesla that I went all the way to the P100DL for my X - this company tries really hard to make things right and the SC guys have always been great (I can’t say as much for the delivery team - just look at @dmann000’s posts regarding his delviery....poor guy).

I think Tesla’s engineers are probably a little over-stressted trying to fix these problems, along with getting the 3 producing, the new Semi, the Y and maybe even the pickup now...Musk is very much like Howard Hughes in my opinion - he has tremendous vision and then his poor people have to figure out how to deliver upon his promises. Like Apple with the batteries on iPhones, at some point one of these issues will bite Tesla and they will have to refocus and make amends.

But - overall - as evidenced by all of the polls - Tesla owners are the most satisfied owners of any vehicle...

Glad I got my car in 2016 when "standard" was the adjusted setting. Been driving with Standard height for over a year, no shudder and no abnormal tire wear. I hate scraping parking curbs which is more likely in low setting.