Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lock myself out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am a new owner and happened when I walked out of car to unplug the charging port, then just another second later, realized my car locked with my phone, key and my purse inside. I was panic for a moment. A fellow at station came up to me with a phone to offer help. Somehow, my car unlocked suddenly. I couldn’t explain why? How could the car lock me out in the first place with keyinsde?

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
Welcome to the forums.

Your car didn’t lock, it simply retracted the door handles into the door after a small period of inactivity. When you have your key nearby or your car is unlocked (or in the car) you can simply push on the door handles and they’ll present again so you can enter the car.

If the fob and the cellphone are side by side the transmitter in the cellphone can block the receiver in the fob so it can't hear the car. Cellphones transmit a lot but not continuously. If you catch it when the cellphone is not transmitting the fob can hear the car and it will unlock.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
If the door handles does not work try to open boot as it might be possible that the fob is visible for the rear sensor and allows to unlock your car. It would be good to change your habit now and keep your fob and phone separate while entering the car.

Handles retracted does not equal locked. Push on the retracted handle and it will come back out. If keys are inside the car will stay unlocked until its put into drive or you manually lock the doors with the little lock icon in the top left of the large screen.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Hi, I am a new owner and happened when I walked out of car to unplug the charging port, then just another second later, realized my car locked with my phone, key and my purse inside. I was panic for a moment. A fellow at station came up to me with a phone to offer help. Somehow, my car unlocked suddenly. I couldn’t explain why? How could the car lock me out in the first place with keyinsde?
Welcome and congrats. Car doesn't lock as others note and even if it would not present handles you could always download app on another's phone, login and remote unlock, then delete the app from new phone. With Tesla there is usually a workaround. Tesla could also remote unlock if you get through on their help line.

I also had this once, because the key was right next to my phone and the phone has a habit of blocking the key signal (also happens if both are in the same pocket).

I was at a supercharger and had to borrow another owner's phone, log in to my account on his app, unlock my car, log out of his app and then get in the car!

Now always make sure not to put phone and key next to each other!

I also had this once, because the key was right next to my phone and the phone has a habit of blocking the key signal (also happens if both are in the same pocket).

I was at a supercharger and had to borrow another owner's phone, log in to my account on his app, unlock my car, log out of his app and then get in the car!

Now always make sure not to put phone and key next to each other!
I keep my keys next my phone all the time and never had this issue.

This happened to our Model X - car locked with key inside it. We were outside an area that had cellular reception so we couldn't use the app to unlock either. We tried every door and none would open the car. However, the trunk for some reason opened. Crawled in that way.

I keep my keys next my phone all the time and never had this issue.
There was an upgrade to use higher encryption on the MS a couple of years ago - don't know if that matters. I have a '17 MS with original fob. I generally keep my fob/phone in the same pocket. Every time I get in the car I get a "key is not present" message until separating the two by a couple inches - even with new batteries.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
There was an upgrade to use higher encryption on the MS a couple of years ago - don't know if that matters. I have a '17 MS with original fob. I generally keep my fob/phone in the same pocket. Every time I get in the car I get a "key is not present" message until separating the two by a couple inches - even with new batteries.
I don't have these issues.....

Mine's a 2014 - so I guess perhaps it is to do with the "gen 1" key fob. I think the way to tell the difference is if you can "update" your key fob by putting it on the bottom/back of the centre console and trying to update through the touchscreen. the old ones can't do it.

Yes, old version of key fobs can’t be updated by the console/touchscreen function. This was introduced only for version 2 keys. To get the this upgraded security you need to change the fobs by service visit.

Welcome to the forums.

Your car didn’t lock, it simply retracted the door handles into the door after a small period of inactivity. When you have your key nearby or your car is unlocked (or in the car) you can simply push on the door handles and they’ll present again so you can enter the car.
No my car locked and turned off and no door would open. I had to call someone to open it for me.

Interesting. Just re-tested mine now (2017 MS, 2023.23.7) and it worked as @KyleDay described. Car would not auto lock with the key inside. Did a passenger touch the lock button on the way out? Curious what might allow that.
I played around with my 2015 85D and there are spots in the car where the key doesn't get noticed. Also having a cell phone or other potential things that might block the signal next to the key could have it not get noticed and then the car will go right ahead and lock.