Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking sound - Bit Petty I Know

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprised how popular walk-away lock is - I just turned it off when I got my car without even trying it. EDIT: But then I ordered a keyfob at the same time I ordered the car - I can see locking the car with the app every time would be rather more hassle.

I was under the impression most implementations of walk-away lock have a tendency to lock passengers in the car. Is Tesla's implementation more intelligent?
Hmmm you just have to try that. I am sure people will have different preferences regarding how they lock their car but one hassle free way of doing it in Tesla is walk away lock. I don’t think I’ll go back to any key mechanism including fob for locking/unlocking. And some of the forum members may disagree but the new update also fixed the driver profile when unlocking. It is 100% correct in choosing the right profile. There was a bit of hiccup with the earlier version where it tend to choose the last connected driver if their mobile is in range. But this has been resolved with new update.

So try the walk away key lock then may be you’ll enjoy the feeling of driving only with your phone, no fobs, no wallet and possibly no keycard if on short journeys and you have a ring or something.

About beeps. We have that on the boot close and I for one think it sounds horrid. Can't explain why, it's just harsh and somehow uncouth. I'd brefer a bong type sound. Anyway, I would hate it to make the boot beep noise when locking.

Surprised how popular walk-away lock is - I just turned it off when I got my car without even trying it. EDIT: But then I ordered a keyfob at the same time I ordered the car - I can see locking the car with the app every time would be rather more hassle.
Another convenient way of locking the car is to set up the phone's NFC as a keycard. So, you get out of the car, close the door, probably holding your phone, simply unlock the phone and present it to the pillar - the car locks. Even if the beep's disabled you're right next to the mirrors so you know if it's done it.

Can't remember if phone NFC is Android-only, though, not sure if it works on iPhones.

About beeps. We have that on the boot close and I for one think it sounds horrid. Can't explain why, it's just harsh and somehow uncouth. I'd brefer a bong type sound. Anyway, I would hate it to make the boot beep noise when locking.
Agreed the boot beep sound isn't great. The locking sound is much better.

I disagree, I have people in the car and it doesn't lock the car... I think when I first got the car it did but possibly firmware updates fixed it.

Another convenient way of locking the car is to set up the phone's NFC as a keycard. So, you get out of the car, close the door, probably holding your phone, simply unlock the phone and present it to the pillar - the car locks. Even if the beep's disabled you're right next to the mirrors so you know if it's done it.

Can't remember if phone NFC is Android-only, though, not sure if it works on iPhones.
The NFC in iPhone is fairly locked down, most third party apps can't use it. However you can register NFC codes to Siri Shortcuts, you would then use an app like Watch for Tesla to unlock/lock the car potentially.

I disagree, I have people in the car and it doesn't lock the car... I think when I first got the car it did but possibly firmware updates fixed it.

It still does it. I received a phone notification, at home, of the alarm going off whilst my wife was taking out an elderly neighbour ... she had left the neighbour in the car and popped into the Co-op ... bad move!! (I was able to set "camp mode" via the app ... I thought setting dog mode would be a bit rude.)

Reactions: pevz
Agreed the boot beep sound isn't great. The locking sound is much better.

The NFC in iPhone is fairly locked down, most third party apps can't use it. However you can register NFC codes to Siri Shortcuts, you would then use an app like Watch for Tesla to unlock/lock the car potentially.
You can use NFC in the Shortcuts for personal automation, but it is only available with iPhone XS or later and iOS 13.1 or later. With other devices, you won't be able to see that option.

It still does it. I received a phone notification, at home, of the alarm going off whilst my wife was taking out an elderly neighbour ... she had left the neighbour in the car and popped into the Co-op ... bad move!! (I was able to set "camp mode" via the app ... I thought setting dog mode would be a bit rude.)
Odd I leave people in the car all the time and never locks. Maybe its to do with car model then?