Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Logged into TEG

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a note, Tesla calls out on their warranty sheet 13.5kWh when calculating the warranty percentage. That's probably the number I would go with.

14kWh is the 'Total Energy' and 13.5kWh is the 'Usable Energy according to spec sheet, but warranty guide will take precedence.

Looking at this, if you use your Powerwall for selling power back to the utility, you fall into the second table row, with operating limitations. I hadn't thought of that caveat, interesting to see.

1693241473794.png

Last edited:
I do know I saw the capacity when I logged in probably >1 year ago. I made a note that one of the PWs was lower than the otehr two. Thats why I wanted to check again. It was a well formatted page unlike the screenshot from the api
Maybe your system setup was different than mine. I can verify that I logged into my tesla gateway several times (more than 10-15) and there was never any way at all to see individual capacities or anything other than device serial numbers and the total power flows that show in the regular tesla app.

As far as the warranty capacity number, that would be calculated based on the starting capacity being 13.5kWh (not 14), so 9.45kWh would be when they have to do something. I would still call them and ask about the capacity though. It make take quite a bit of time for it all to be worked out.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
I think I will call just to understand the process. And, I'm going to take regular readings to see how fast it is going down. Worse thing would be if it leveled off at 71%

If I were calling, I would ask about the capacity loss, as well as the fact that "THAT particular powerwall seems to be discharged less than the others, but they were installed at the same time (and why is that?) would be the question I would be asking. Im not going to discuss specifics but I have been through that process myself. It took quite a long time (measured in months), but I ended up completely satisfied, eventually.

If I were calling, I would ask about the capacity loss, as well as the fact that "THAT particular powerwall seems to be discharged less than the others, but they were installed at the same time (and why is that?) would be the question I would be asking. Im not going to discuss specifics but I have been through that process myself. It took quite a long time (measured in months), but I ended up completely satisfied, eventually.
Good point

If I had an ESS array banks of 7kWh, 10kWh and 12kWh is would expect that they would discharge as a percentage of their capacity, so if I needed 4 kW it would pull 0.97kW from the 7kWh, 1.38kW from the 10kWh and 1.66kW from the 12 kWh to get that 4kW. This would lead to what @getakey is seeing.

An alternative theory is a botched firmware update. I was tracking my PW usage daily through the web api and after one firmware update (5/10/2021) I had one Powerwall end up with reset of the cumulative charge and discharge values while there was no impact on my second powerwall.

• Informative
Reactions: getakey
If I had an ESS array banks of 7kWh, 10kWh and 12kWh is would expect that they would discharge as a percentage of their capacity, so if I needed 4 kW it would pull 0.97kW from the 7kWh, 1.38kW from the 10kWh and 1.66kW from the 12 kWh to get that 4kW. This would lead to what @getakey is seeing.

An alternative theory is a botched firmware update. I was tracking my PW usage daily through the web api and after one firmware update (5/10/2021) I had one Powerwall end up with reset of the cumulative charge and discharge values while there was no impact on my second powerwall.

That makes perfect sense (both theories). If its the first one (which it could be, I dont know), that would imply that @getakey has had an imbalance in capacity for enough time to generate those numbers, which I would (very politely) ask the tier 1 person to explain to me.

Another thing I might do is to see if all of my powerwalls could provide the stated 5kW output rate. Meaning, If possible, I would try to get my house load high enough to max out powerwall discharge rate and see if that matches what the spec sheet says of 5kW per powerwall. I believe @getakey has 3 powerwalls, so if possible, I would have the powerwalls set to be able to discharge, then try to drive the home load above 15kW (perhaps by charging a car, turning on AC etc and see if the 3 powerwalls actually output at a 15kW rate or not.

Speaking in general terms, if (for example) one had 2 powerwalls, which means they are supposed to be able to output at 10kW, but they only output at 9.8, one would have something else to discuss with Tesla energy support when contacting them, along with the capacity difference, and usage difference.

That makes perfect sense (both theories). If its the first one (which it could be, I dont know), that would imply that @getakey has had an imbalance in capacity for enough time to generate those numbers, which I would (very politely) ask the tier 1 person to explain to me.

Another thing I might do is to see if all of my powerwalls could provide the stated 5kW output rate. Meaning, If possible, I would try to get my house load high enough to max out powerwall discharge rate and see if that matches what the spec sheet says of 5kW per powerwall. I believe @getakey has 3 powerwalls, so if possible, I would have the powerwalls set to be able to discharge, then try to drive the home load above 15kW (perhaps by charging a car, turning on AC etc and see if the 3 powerwalls actually output at a 15kW rate or not.

Speaking in general terms, if (for example) one had 2 powerwalls, which means they are supposed to be able to output at 10kW, but they only output at 9.8, one would have something else to discuss with Tesla energy support when contacting them, along with the capacity difference, and usage difference.
I'd have to charge the car and have both ACs on. I rarely get above 6kW with both ACs on and my car pulls about 10kW. Would be a good experiment, probably not going to try it. We have a fire watch coming up this week and I'm not so happy about the reduced capacity

I'd have to charge the car and have both ACs on. I rarely get above 6kW with both ACs on and my car pulls about 10kW. Would be a good experiment, probably not going to try it. We have a fire watch coming up this week and I'm not so happy about the reduced capacity
VPP event? PG&E has one today, but it looks like you are in PG&E territory. If you were/are in the VPP you could compare to last year discharge. This might be limited by your site export limit, but that limit plus your house load might get you to 15kW combined.

Couldn't you turn off the Enable switch on the two good PWs and then see how much the one remaining PW can output in kW?

Couldn't you turn off the Enable switch on the two good PWs and then see how much the one remaining PW can output in kW?

That would work too. When I ran the test I was talking about on my own system, I only have 2 powerwalls and charging my car at 48 amps is over 11 amps, so it was easy for me to do.

• Helpful
Reactions: power.saver
VPP event? PG&E has one today, but it looks like you are in PG&E territory. If you were/are in the VPP you could compare to last year discharge. This might be limited by your site export limit, but that limit plus your house load might get you to 15kW combined.
I'm in PG&E, but I did not sign up for VPP. There's a Fire Watch warning in NWS and PG&E is warning the may do PSPS for some North Counties including Solano, Napa, Yolo. I'm in El Dorado county, but you never know what they are going to do. Ironically, we are going to Healdsburg on Wed/Thurs. Hate to get power shutoff and curtail our wine tasting :)

Nothing on that page indicates that you can get the individual Powerwall capacity values.
"PackageSerialNumber":"TG119135xxxxxV","disabled_reasons":[],"pinv_state":"PINV_GridFollowing","pinv_grid_state":"Grid_Compliant","nominal_energy_remaining":10580,"nominal_full_pack_energy":13946,

","PackageSerialNumber":"TG119135xxxxxD","disabled_reasons":[],"pinv_state":"PINV_GridFollowing","pinv_grid_state":"Grid_Compliant","nominal_energy_remaining":10598,"nominal_full_pack_energy":13956,

• Disagree
Reactions: Redhill_qik
"PackageSerialNumber":"TG119135xxxxxV","disabled_reasons":[],"pinv_state":"PINV_GridFollowing","pinv_grid_state":"Grid_Compliant","nominal_energy_remaining":10580,"nominal_full_pack_energy":13946,

","PackageSerialNumber":"TG119135xxxxxD","disabled_reasons":[],"pinv_state":"PINV_GridFollowing","pinv_grid_state":"Grid_Compliant","nominal_energy_remaining":10598,"nominal_full_pack_energy":13956,

Thats not the page thats being referenced by @Redhill_qik . In a nutshell, @getakey stated that they used to be able to see individual powerwall values by simply logging into the tesla gateway, and none of the rest of us have ever seen that there, on the tesla gateway login page.

The information in your quote is not available on the standard tesla gateway login page either. You get that by logging in, then navigating to the api page that was referenced by @yblaser (or perhaps by querying it with script commands, etc).

Reactions: Redhill_qik
Thats not the page thats being referenced by @Redhill_qik . In a nutshell, @getakey stated that they used to be able to see individual powerwall values by simply logging into the tesla gateway, and none of the rest of us have ever seen that there, on the tesla gateway login page.

The information in your quote is not available on the standard tesla gateway login page either. You get that by logging in, then navigating to the api page that was referenced by @yblaser (or perhaps by querying it with script commands, etc).
I wish I had a screenshot from back then. I know I even followed instructions from this site