TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Long Awaited Arrival Of Elon’s HPWC

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mrbulk, Sep 3, 2018.

1. mrbulk

mrbulk Member

C6A54274-A56F-4089-B80C-BC17704D2F66.jpeg Finally received the black Elon HPWC ... courtesy of a couple of related fellow Tesla owners. Thanks!

• Like x 3
  2. Decibelle

Decibelle Member

Did you convert the HPWC to work with a Nema 14-50 plug? I like that idea.

3. Tc911

Tc911 Member

Good for you. I’ve been waiting since last October...no responses from Tesla to my emails.

4. woof

woof Model X 75D Blue. Model 3 LR Red.

Don't know what the OP did, but that's exactly how I installed my HPWC. Drop in replacement for the mobile connector, and I can take Elon with me if I ever move.

• Like x 1
  5. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Nice install!

However, it would seem to me it would make more sense just to buy another mobile connector. That way if there is a fault with either connector you have a backup. HPWC makes sense if you are running more than 40A charge rate, have multiple adapters sharing one circuit or you hardwire to eliminate the plug (but would seem that having spare mobile connector still makes more sense if you are power limited).

(Of course, if someone gave me one of the black Elon units, I would probably do what the OP did ;-) ).

6. pf-flyer

pf-flyer Member

Mine came about a month ago and this weekend I finally did the install as well.
    I did the same thing and converted the charger to running off of a NEMA 14-50 plug. I can then take the charger with me if I move and could also plug in a non-Tesla electric vehicle (if I choose to buy one).
    There's a good description on how to install the NEMA 14-50 cord on Instructables at: Tesla Wall Connector Installation
    IMG_8150.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

"NO DRVR" lmao i love it

• Like x 3
  8. mrbulk

mrbulk Member

Thanks, I realize now the top part of license frame was cut off, whole thing reads,

CAUTION
    NO DRVR
    AUTOPILOT ON

• Like x 1
  9. mrbulk

mrbulk Member

Yes we plan to add a fourth Tesla (or other EV, it just depends...) later on so, just a preemptive install...

10. Racerx22b

Racerx22b @unplggdd on Instagram

You have the same benefit with this install unless I am missing something. If the HPWC takes a crap you can just unplug it from the 14/50 outlet and use your mobile connector. And vice versa.

Plus you have the benefit of a cool looking charger.

BTW, I have my home setup this exact way, HPWC connected directly to the outlet to charge at 40amps.

11. SSedan

SSedan Member

Current gen UMC only charges at 32amps so if you want 40amps from a 14-50 you need an older UMC or to convert a wall connector.

12. BIG ACH

BIG ACH Member

Damn that's actually smart to connect into the 14-50 NEMA plug.... I just a have a box where the plug could've gone had I chosen that route :D

Charger.jpg

13. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Be careful about code requirements.

The HPWC was designed to be hardwired. I saw that there was an opinion that a plug was permitted BUT the max cord length was 12".

Would hate to have something go wrong and then have someone declare it was an illegal install.

Installing a NEMA 14-50 plug to HPWC input

14. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Exactly what I did.

15. ohm-ms

ohm-ms Member

@BIG ACH what are you using to wrap the cord? I too hard wired the HPWC directly in to the back of the unit.

Attached Files: