Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Awaited Arrival Of Elon’s HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C6A54274-A56F-4089-B80C-BC17704D2F66.jpeg
Finally received the black Elon HPWC ... courtesy of a couple of related fellow Tesla owners. Thanks!

Nice install!

However, it would seem to me it would make more sense just to buy another mobile connector. That way if there is a fault with either connector you have a backup. HPWC makes sense if you are running more than 40A charge rate, have multiple adapters sharing one circuit or you hardwire to eliminate the plug (but would seem that having spare mobile connector still makes more sense if you are power limited).

(Of course, if someone gave me one of the black Elon units, I would probably do what the OP did ;-) ).

Mine came about a month ago and this weekend I finally did the install as well.
I did the same thing and converted the charger to running off of a NEMA 14-50 plug. I can then take the charger with me if I move and could also plug in a non-Tesla electric vehicle (if I choose to buy one).
There's a good description on how to install the NEMA 14-50 cord on Instructables at: Tesla Wall Connector Installation
IMG_8150.jpg

Nice install!

However, it would seem to me it would make more sense just to buy another mobile connector. That way if there is a fault with either connector you have a backup. HPWC makes sense if you are running more than 40A charge rate, have multiple adapters sharing one circuit or you hardwire to eliminate the plug (but would seem that having spare mobile connector still makes more sense if you are power limited).

(Of course, if someone gave me one of the black Elon units, I would probably do what the OP did ;-) ).

Yes we plan to add a fourth Tesla (or other EV, it just depends...) later on so, just a preemptive install...

That way if there is a fault with either connector you have a backup

You have the same benefit with this install unless I am missing something. If the HPWC takes a crap you can just unplug it from the 14/50 outlet and use your mobile connector. And vice versa.

Plus you have the benefit of a cool looking charger.

BTW, I have my home setup this exact way, HPWC connected directly to the outlet to charge at 40amps.