Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long delay opening new model X with phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've reviewed the long thread which claims the problem is caused by Android 13, but access to my model Y is instant via the same phone. Access to my new model X can take 10, 15, or more seconds until I finally take the phone out of my pocket. Then it may instantly open the door. Other times I've had to open the App and unlock the X from the App.

Had the same problem with the Y, and was finally forced to buy a fob. There was an update to the App or car and now my model Y ALWAYS unlocks as I approach (the fob is now in my wife's purse since she drives it).

Why doesn't the X behave like this? Do I really have to buy a fob?? When I tried it says it doesn't work with my car. Others here solved this by getting one from service.

In IOS there is a setting (not) allowing the Tesla app to have always access to the GPS-location of your phone. I once switched the setting to only GPS accesss when using the app and experienced similar problems you describe. Mayb you could check your Tesla app permissions.

From the manual:
  • Access to your location is enabled. Open the Tesla mobile app in your phone's settings and select Location > Always. For the best experience, keep the mobile app running in the background.

In IOS there is a setting (not) allowing the Tesla app to have always access to the GPS-location of your phone. I once switched the setting to only GPS accesss when using the app and experienced similar problems you describe. Mayb you could check your Tesla app permissions.

From the manual:
  • Access to your location is enabled. Open the Tesla mobile app in your phone's settings and select Location > Always. For the best experience, keep the mobile app running in the background.
Thanks, before originally posting I checked that all accesses were enabled and just double-checked the location permission. As I said my model Y works instantly every time since I stopped carrying its fob. I can go stand next to the model X for several seconds pushing on the handle and I can see the screen say I need a key card. Then most times I take my phone out of my pocket and lift it a couple of fee the door instantly swings open. Other times I actually have to open the App go to controls and unlock the car before I can get it.

• Informative
Reactions: Bogd and henderrj
I have the same issue. I took it into Tesla service, and they said it is because of my iPhone. There’s nothing wrong with my iPhone. Sometimes the door will open, sometimes not a couple times. I had to take the key card out of my wallet and use that to unlock the door. I hear this from a lot of 2023 model X owners. Tesla should provide fobs for this car for what we paid for them. For the cost of a fob they’re being short sighted. No one’s gonna recommend a car that doesn’t work to a friend.

Same problem with my android Pixel 8 Pro phone. It started a few months ago when the driver door stopped automatically opening when I approach the vehicle. Do you guys have this issue as well?

The Tesla service said it's a known issue with android and on iphone everything works fine.

Did the latest update with the Ultra Wide Band feature fix the issue for you? At least for iphone users?

Can you explain where the UWB is on the iPhone for the Tesla app to be selected?
Sure...

Tesla app will prompt you to "enable" the new key, you have to be in the car for this...

Then wait a couple of hours (don't know why) and in your iPhone go to: Settings>Privacy and Security>Nearby Interactions and make sure the Tesla app appears enabled by the slider...

Nearby Interactions is the UWB Key "enabler"

Thats it...

I really had a lot of trouble with the past software where it would be very annoying, now I have the oposite experience the X unlocks so quickly now...

Reactions: SunnySideUp
Sure...

Tesla app will prompt you to "enable" the new key, you have to be in the car for this...

Then wait a couple of hours (don't know why) and in your iPhone go to: Settings>Privacy and Security>Nearby Interactions and make sure the Tesla app appears enabled by the slider...

Nearby Interactions is the UWB Key "enabler"

Thats it...

I really had a lot of trouble with the past software where it would be very annoying, now I have the oposite experience the X unlocks so quickly now...
Somehow I never get a prompt to enable/upgrade phone key inside or outside the car. This is with a 2023 MXP with HW4 running 2024.2.3 and the 4.30 version of the app on an iPhone 14 pro with latest iOS.

From screenshots I have seen there should be an upgrade button in the home screen of app but nothing there for me. Would be great to not have to get the phone out of back pocket to open the door!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bogd
Somehow I never get a prompt to enable/upgrade phone key inside or outside the car. With is with a 2023 MXP with HW4 running 2024.2.3 and the 4.30 version of the app on an iPhone 14 pro with latest iOS.

From screenshots I have seen there should be an upgrade button in the home screen of app but nothing there for me. Would be great to not have to get the phone out of back pocket to open the door!
same i never received the upgrade key message either.

same i never received the upgrade key message either.

So I was able to make it work. While in the car:

1. Deleted phone key from car
  2. Deleted app from iPhone
  3. Installed app on phone again and opened it - logged in. App will then ask to pair it as a key.
  4. I allowed it to always know my location when it asked and then it asked permission for nearby interactions (if you say allow only while using the app it wouldn't ask for this second permission).

After above when it started working I went back and changed setting so location is only shared while using the app and it still works. I have to say it is much better! I can leave my phone in back pocket and it unlocks while I approach.

3. Installed app on phone again and opened it - logged in. App will then ask to pair it as a key.
  4. I allowed it to always know my location when it asked and then it asked permission for nearby interactions (if you say allow only while using the app it wouldn't ask for this second permission).

After above when it started working I went back and changed setting so location is only shared while using the app and it still works. I have to say it is much better! I can leave my phone in back pocket and it unlocks while I approach.
So you think you got it working without the specific “upgrade” screen showing in the app?
Like in this article - Tesla Update 2024.2.3 Is Improving Phone Keys By Adding Ultra-Wideband Support

Sounds promising. I too have not been presented with an option to upgrade my key. I have MX2023 on 2024.2.3, HW4, iPhone 15pro max and ios17.3.1. Can anyone else confirm this solution has worked for them? I will try tomorrow.