Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range Price Reduction by £1k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heads up - just seen that the Long Range appears to have been reduced by £1,000 for new build cars:

0BE0C29C-4324-4004-B606-184BDF7336DE.png

Has it?

From my recollection, it's been £49,990 since the new £3k grant came in (since that's only for cars below £50k) - giving you that £46,990 post-grant.

Maybe that excludes the £990 destination/documentation fee and I'm just misremembering!

You may find that Tesla honour the new pricing - they did, in a rather complex* way, honour price reductions on early orders and not apply total order increases.

* basically the whole order was revalued at then current book potentially resulting in some item decreases (such as base price, colour change) and some increasing (such as colour change, FSD). You then got the lesser total of original order or revised price order.

Following on from my post above with Tesla possibly going to honour price cuts on existing orders.

I just read that FSD seems to have a price rise pending - to 8k in the US in July. It was already priced 1k above here iirc as they got 'smart' Summon and rest of world didn't - or at least much later and/or in restricted form.

So if you have FSD on current order and they revalue the order after any FSD price rise, there may likely be no benefit from any price reduction for current orders as the FSD increase may more than offset any saving leaving the existing order price the cheaper option.

Following on from my post above with Tesla possibly going to honour price cuts on existing orders.

I just read that FSD seems to have a price rise pending - to 8k in the US in July. It was already priced 1k above here iirc as they got 'smart' Summon and rest of world didn't - or at least much later and/or in restricted form.

So if you have FSD on current order and they revalue the order after any FSD price rise, there may likely be no benefit from any price reduction for current orders as the FSD increase may more than offset any saving leaving the existing order price the cheaper option.
We have always got the same FSD features in the UK including smart summon. It's EU/European law that has caused certain elements to be hobbled so far.

We have always got the same FSD features in the UK including smart summon. It's EU/European law that has caused certain elements to be hobbled so far.

We didn't get smart summon for quite a while after the US got it - long enough to use it as the basis for a US 1K price rise and not inflicting it (price rise not smart summon) on the rest of the world. Likewise, there is going to be a significant period of time between US getting stop line stopping (next major release?) and rest of the world getting it (Q3?). Tesla have used these time line disparities to price FSD increases differently in different regions.

Elon said recently stop sign/junction stopping won't come to the rest of the World at the same time as the USA as stop signs and junctions are different everywhere

We didn't get smart summon for quite a while after the US got it - long enough to use it as the basis for a US 1K price rise and not inflicting it (price rise not smart summon) on the rest of the world. Likewise, there is going to be a significant period of time between US getting stop line stopping (next major release?) and rest of the world getting it (Q3?). Tesla have used these time line disparities to price FSD increases differently in different regions.

Ok yeah fair enough - I'm surprised that they're really price differentiating like that but fair enough if so! In any case, (in my view) we're many years away from anything close to the FSD that Elon likes to bang on about, especially on our British roads! So despite being into tech I don't think what's on offer now or for the next 3 years is worth £5k+!

Unless I’m going mad they haven’t reduced the price of the LR, they’ve just cheekily deducted the £990 documentation and delivery fee from the displayed initial price.

If you start configuring a £46,000 LR and choose cash you will see the price at the bottom as £46,990, which is (still just) £10 below the threshold that would push it over the £50k grant threshold.

Long story short, the price hasn’t changed, the presentation of it has.

EDIT: I think the SR and P always had the D&D fee deducted from the initial displayed price, the LR wasn’t due to a bug?

Unless I’m going mad they haven’t reduced the price of the LR, they’ve just cheekily deducted the £990 documentation and delivery fee from the displayed initial price.

If you start configuring a £46,000 LR and choose cash you will see the price at the bottom as £46,990, which is (still just) £10 below the threshold that would push it over the £50k grant threshold.

Long story short, the price hasn’t changed, the presentation of it has.

EDIT: I think the SR and P always had the D&D fee deducted from the initial displayed price, the LR wasn’t due to a bug?

I was thinking along the same lines, and then I wrote things down.

I paid £51,490 - less £990 documentation and less £3500 plug in grant equals £47,000
Now £49,990 - less £990 less £3000 equals £46,000 (original mistake edited after pointed out below!)

so I am £1000 worse off for having taken the car on 26 March just after lock down and driven it nowhere!

Last edited:
I was thinking along the same lines, and then I wrote things down.

I paid £51,490 - less £990 documentation and less £3500 plug in grant equals £47,000
Now £49,000 - less £990 less £3000 equals £46,000

so I am £1000 worse off for having taken the car on 26 March just after lock down and driven it nowhere!
Shouldn’t “now” be £49,990? You’re taking off the doc fee off both but only adding it to the first example.

£46,000 (current display price) + £990 + £3,000 = £49,990

Tesla did a £510 price drop after the budget, to get it under the wire.

The reason I think this is a “displayed price” change is because:

a) £990 is a weird amount to drop the price by

b) The “new” price including the fee is £46,990, which is (still) £10 under the threshold for the (now £3000) PICG grant.

Willing to be told I’m wrong though.