Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Road trip with Y or ICE????

12+ Hour Road trip with 4 people. Which vehicle to take?

• Tesla Model Y

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • Audi Q7

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Trying to decide ..

I have a 12 plus hour drive from south florida to North Carolina with the family (4 people total).

Trying to decide on Y or use our ICE Q7.....

It’s a performance Y so a little rougher ride... i think we should have enough room for everyone and stuff between trunk and drunk...

My concern is the ride roughness and older kids 16 & 19 sitting in the rear seats for such a long trip...

Pros are should be a cool ride... Autopilot/FSD and the experience....
We have a charge outlet at the house in NC so no problem keeping it charged there...

Thoughts???
I have made that exact trip. For this time of year, my concern would be air conditioning. By myself, its marginal. With other people generating a 98.6 degree influence on the interior with no help from the exterior, I suspect some sweating and perhaps some edgy emotions will be predictable.

Ok, I'll play the contrarian:

First, let's cancel out the "fun to drive" with the auto-pilots as those things, to me, are mutually exclusive. Maybe that's just a Colorado thing but soooo many times I've become impatient with AP on highways, especially with traffic, that I crank the wheel 'back' to manual so I can drive the damn car. (Now that's fun.)

Next, almost nobody in response has acknowledged your other option, the Audi Q7. We own an A5 Sportback along with our M3 and gotta say the Audi is a blast to drive though in a different way. Last summer we did a road trip, CO > CA, a day-and-a-half trip, where I had to make an appointment at 2pm on Day 2. As much as I wanted to take the Tesla the schedule including Supercharger stops would have required me to drive later on Day 1 or get up really early on Day 2 to make the appointment. So we took the Audi instead.

Lastly, my suggestion, a matter of practicality, would be to simply pre-pack each vehicle and see what makes the most sense for you and your passengers. We did this on a trip to Santa Fe, NM, last summer with a friend who doesn't like much being a passenger and gave her the choice since she would be trapped back there: The Audi, the Tesla, or, our third vehicle, the Honda CR-V.

She chose the CR-V.

Have fun!

I think this is the final route I’m going to shoot for ...see how the Tesla nav will handle it in comparison....

I tweaked it a little with arriving at 15% power... i think that overall is enough reserve...i think and plug in at the house... with 15% at target it is not putting a speed limit on me for the last leg :) View attachment 568210

I definitely agree that taking the Y is a great choice!
Just got back a few weeks ago from a 4,000+ miles road trip from south Texas, to Virginia, to North Carolina and back in our S P85D, which has ~40 miles less range than your Y and it was an absolute breeze. EVEN my wife said it was way more relaxing and enjoyable than she thought it would be!

It was great to plan ahead, but I wouldn't get too caught up on it. Just put in the destination in car and enjoy the drive :)

Obligatory Blue Ridge Mountain pic as well:
110860381_10164032182890261_9048964995291038923_o.jpg

Ok, I'll play the contrarian:

First, let's cancel out the "fun to drive" with the auto-pilots as those things, to me, are mutually exclusive. Maybe that's just a Colorado thing but soooo many times I've become impatient with AP on highways, especially with traffic, that I crank the wheel 'back' to manual so I can drive the damn car. (Now that's fun.)

Next, almost nobody in response has acknowledged your other option, the Audi Q7. We own an A5 Sportback along with our M3 and gotta say the Audi is a blast to drive though in a different way. Last summer we did a road trip, CO > CA, a day-and-a-half trip, where I had to make an appointment at 2pm on Day 2. As much as I wanted to take the Tesla the schedule including Supercharger stops would have required me to drive later on Day 1 or get up really early on Day 2 to make the appointment. So we took the Audi instead.

Lastly, my suggestion, a matter of practicality, would be to simply pre-pack each vehicle and see what makes the most sense for you and your passengers. We did this on a trip to Santa Fe, NM, last summer with a friend who doesn't like much being a passenger and gave her the choice since she would be trapped back there: The Audi, the Tesla, or, our third vehicle, the Honda CR-V.

She chose the CR-V.

Have fun!

Not sure how having AP available for those times when driving isn’t fun somehow negates the EV fun to drive factor. If anything, they are additive, because you get to experience the fun for more of your driving time, and never have to do the annoying times.

People who haven’t done it don’t give enough importance to the effect of stopping for ten or fifteen minutes every couple hours to charge. It breaks the trip up so there’s less “are we there yet” and you feel less tired at the end even if you drive more hours. Or that’s my experience anyway.

Before Tesla I was one of the straight through types, stopping only for gas and getting food and restroom breaks as rarely as possible, mostly at gas stops. It’s definitely quicker, and far more wearing.

Reactions: animorph
I go back and forth from Orlando to Boston all the time in my MX and last November went from Orlando across the south to LA, up to Sacramento and then back across i-40 to the east coast. We tend to go about 75-80 mph and drive about 3 or more hours at a time. Several hotels we stayed at had chargers we could plug into overnight. We did hit 90 and 100 mph through Texas and New Mexico, but that really took away some range! Wouldn't do it any other way.

Reactions: Dennisis
I just drove my Model 3 5000 miles round trip from Orange County Ca to SE Ohio. It was a great road trip.
I think sitting in the back seat of any car for a long road trip would be uncomfortable.
The charging stops are ideal for that. Get to stretch out. I averaged around 30 minutes a stop.
Take the Y. You will enjoy the trip.
Did you published your road trip?

I did a similar trip and I noticed that going north is sometime more difficult that crossing the country....

20200318_181030-jpg.557963

A few questions on ABRP ...
i had originally gone with 20% at charger arrival to play it safe..does everyone usually go lower? If i change it to 10% it saves a lot of time...is that too aggressive?

The reference wh/mile...its putting 287 in with real time car info...is that safe? I usually burn around 330 but that is up around 80 miles an hour.
I also put the speed at up to 120% of speed limit to allow us to go faster on the road..typically on a 70 mph limit we would be 80-85 speed...

Thoughts on the settings used? My concern is towards the end of the trip it is up and down elevations...

First, you know your family better than any of us do. You can only drive as long as the smallest bladder in the vehicle. When it comes to food, are you grab and go or sit down and enjoy a meal? Do you like to stop and stretch.

I figure that, on road trips, it takes 10% longer. But I can't drive as long as I could when I was younger.

As to elevation changes, my rough estimate (after driving through the Appalachians 4 times, is that "up" costs you 50% in range and "down" saves you 25%. In other words, 5 miles up then 5 miles down will result in using 12.5 miles of range.

As to minimum arrival charge, that depends on how well you know the route and whether there are SC in between if you're using more energy than expected. Since you haven't had the vehicle long, play it safe.

I would definitely take the Tesla, but I've done a couple long trips in my buddy's Subaru.

His Legacy GT sedan has intelligent cruise control and lane assist steering. I drove it for several hours, and the steering wheel required less hand feedback not to alert than our M3. It also followed the curves on the highway with no input by me.

Our M3 is awesome, fast and has great tech, but intelligent cruise and lane assist is becoming standard for all cars/SUVs.

I don't understand why stopping so often and charging so little? Would you rather drive 4-5 hours, then stop for a full charge, then drive again and stop again? Only 2 charges?

One of the biggest advantages is speed. It takes only ~15 minutes to go from 10% to 40% or so while going from 40% to 70% may take twice that long (70% to 100% would take even longer).
More stops while arriving at lower SOC will save time over charging to 100% each time and should reduce the overall length of the stop as well. This will be especially true if any of these are V3 Superchargers.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Even before COVID-19, we would rather drive the Tesla than fly, provided driving was an option. And we'd rather drive the Tesla than any ICE.

Basically drive for 2:30 hours, take a 20-30 break to charge and stretch legs.

We can get to Chicago or South Florida without an overnight stop.

I typically take 2000 mile trips to warmer climes each winter. I break it up into 3 legs, driving at least 700 miles each day, stopping only when we reach the hotel for the night's stop. Each morning I add fuel and go again. This works for us, only 2 in the car (Mercedes E class diesel) but weaker bladders wouldn't hold out so long.

For your trip I would have NO stops, and about 10 hours of time. So quite a difference. Nevertheless, I'd choose the Tesla. It's not any cheaper for fuel, but it's electric and that's a good thing.

I've taken long trips in my M3 and I wouldn't think of using the wife's Accord Hybrid again for anything over a couple hours, even though it gets 45 mpg on trips. My M3 is a midrange (240+ miles) and many times when I stop to charge, it begins at over 500 mph which gives me time to stretch my legs, get a soda/sandwich and use the RR. I try to plan our trips so we will need to charge when we get hungry. Isn't that why Musk put supercharges near restaurants? My Tesla is so easy/fun to drive!

In the end, you may be way over thinking this. Put in your destination and the car will tell you what to do. If you start “overburning” it will tell you to slow to a certain speed or stop sooner to charge - it’s really that simple.

I have to agree with this. You can do all the planning in advance but it only takes one unscheduled bathroom/food stop at the nearest supercharger and your original plan is now worthless.

• Funny
Reactions: Pilot1226
And it goes without saying, but if you do not have any SC credits then make sure that your Tesla account is linked to a valid credit card that is not maxxed out, or you will not be doing any SC. Should be a no brainer and obvious thing, but I'm sure it has happened to somebody before, expired card maybe... A couple of months ago while at the gas station there was a guy looking for $5 so he could get home. Said that he forgot his phone and wallet at home, no cash or credit card with him, and he was driving on fumes. Ever since then I've keep some money in my car, for those just in case moments, but cash is useless at a SC.
Cash may be useless at a SC but all you need to do is plug in (as long as your card is valid), you don't even need your phone or wallet.

Rear seat comfort - It's not bumpy rides that make rear seats uncomfortable as much as cramped space. I'll bet the Model Y has more real leg room than most ICEs in its class. There's plenty of room underneath the seats for ankles/feet. You can actually stretch your legs back there. It's also more comfortable because it's there's no loud engine with all its vibrations. Lack of a huge transmission means zero "hump" that used to make middle rear seats so unbearable.

It may take longer, but the Y will be more comfortable and enjoyable to drive in, as a driver or passenger.