Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Road trip with Y or ICE????

12+ Hour Road trip with 4 people. Which vehicle to take?

• Tesla Model Y

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • Audi Q7

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Trying to decide ..

I have a 12 plus hour drive from south florida to North Carolina with the family (4 people total).

You could do this equivalent of 3 50 minute stops if you have ext range. Likely 4 stops with less charge time each.. You would likely stop to eat or use the loo anyway right? I drive quite often Wine Country CA to Palm Springs about 550 miles - 2 stops. Auto Pilot driving about 80% of the time and flawlessly - it makes it more like flying in first class! Driving ICE that far is so much more tedious! My 3 has great let room and back seat comfort so I would guess the Y too for the teens!

I think this is the final route I’m going to shoot for: Departure 8 pm... Arrival 9 am.
I noticed from from itinerary that you plan living earlier evening, drive all the night, to arrive earlier in the morning.
Is it what you typically like to do, so the passengers will be sleeping for most of duration of the trip?

Some other people would prefer living earlier in the morning, traveling during the day, and arriving late in the evening.
I just wonder what people prefer in general?

Note: For long trip I prefer driving at night, principally because there is less traffic,
but if you have to go to work the next day it's not always possible.

Reactions: slmitchell737
Hey all,

Trying to decide ..

I have a 12 plus hour drive from south florida to North Carolina with the family (4 people total).

Trying to decide on Y or use our ICE Q7.....

It’s a performance Y so a little rougher ride... i think we should have enough room for everyone and stuff between trunk and drunk...

My concern is the ride roughness and older kids 16 & 19 sitting in the rear seats for such a long trip...

Pros are should be a cool ride... Autopilot/FSD and the experience....
We have a charge outlet at the house in NC so no problem keeping it charged there...

Thoughts???

Sounds like the kids are old enough to chime in .. why not ask everyone in the family and take a vote on it?

Last edited:
Reactions: slmitchell737
I think the back seat is more comfortable in the Y than the 3, right -- as it sits up a little higher. The 3 is definitely an issue for backseat passengers who are closer to 6'. Anyway, I vote for the Tesla. I've taken several similar trips and the stops to charge are always welcome. I think you'll find it's all in all a good experience.

I'm just going to leave this right here and say, you can go anywhere in a Tesla and make no compromises.

FB_IMG_1578252939454.jpg
FB_IMG_1578252944051.jpg

Holiday trip. 12/13/2019 - 01/01/2020

I’m sure an Audi forum would have different results- but unless charging is an issue, I never want to take anything long distance except the Tesla - so much less fatiguing on autopilot. Especially with FSD. (Which I don’t have anymore since I traded in my 3)

I just had 4 taller than average adults and two dogs in the Y on a 6 hour trip over two days with 20” induction wheels- (outside of Sacramento to Monterey and back) I wouldn’t mind a softer ride, so I hear you, but it was good.

Also found .16cent supercharging in Gilroy so there’s that;)
I’m like a lot of us- supercharging is a good stretch for us and the dogs- With how fast it is now, it’s just not an inconvenience

Last edited:
Reactions: Evoforce
I've put my money where my mouth is by buying a Tesla, but people saying things like "no compromises" and charging is "not an inconvenience" are off the reservation and objectively wrong. It IS a compromise. It is NOT more convenient to stop every 3 hours for 30-40 minutes than it is to stop every 4 hours for 10 minutes of gasoline and potties.

That doesn't mean that the Tesla is a bad idea for a road trip, but let's be real here and stop with the blind fanboy/fangirl stuff... it's okay to admit that there are downsides and compromises to have face-melting acceleration, quiet performance, awesome in-car tech, and a lesser environmental footprint...

Reactions: Birdman325 and teko
I've put my money where my mouth is by buying a Tesla, but people saying things like "no compromises" and charging is "not an inconvenience" are off the reservation and objectively wrong. It IS a compromise. It is NOT more convenient to stop every 3 hours for 30-40 minutes than it is to stop every 4 hours for 10 minutes of gasoline and potties.

That doesn't mean that the Tesla is a bad idea for a road trip, but let's be real here and stop with the blind fanboy/fangirl stuff... it's okay to admit that there are downsides and compromises to have face-melting acceleration, quiet performance, awesome in-car tech, and a lesser environmental footprint...
Speak for yourself. It's not "Fanboy" (really, how old are you?) to enjoy taking a break on a long drive. When I was younger sure, press on, tough it out! But now, I enjoy the breaks as do many others - this doesn't make you a "fanboy" or whatever other crap you want to call it. We obviously just have different opinions on how to enjoy a trip....

Speak for yourself. It's not "Fanboy" (really, how old are you?) to enjoy taking a break on a long drive. When I was younger sure, press on, tough it out! But now, I enjoy the breaks as do many others - this doesn't make you a "fanboy" or whatever other crap you want to call it. We obviously just have different opinions on how to enjoy a trip....

So you're telling me that if you were driving an ICE and a Tesla, you'd take the same number of breaks for the same amount of time driving the ICE as you would to charge the Tesla? I like a good break as much as anyone else, but it's just simply not going to happen the same way. And assuming that's the case, then that is, by definition, a compromise. It doesn't make it worse or not worth it as I said, and it doesn't make a Tesla a bad choice for a long trip, but it's not without compromise.

If there were no compromises, the OP wouldn't have even posted in the first place with the question.

And I'm plenty old, thanks for asking.

Reactions: teko and StoicKiwi
That's exactly it - with a Tesla you don't have to make a choice. It takes longer to charge so hey, you figure that in. Compromise? Not at all - more of an excuse for taking breaks I'd say. Sounding like more of an ICE "Fanboy" to me. (Had to throw that in -I hate that stupid word) :)

And he's asking because he's new and doesn't know yet. Once you've "been assimilated" it all becomes clear....

Reactions: Evoforce and jb401
I’ll concede that there’s a fanboy aspect to Tesla that can turn me off- “thou shall not criticize” etc- but that’s not this for me- if I were 25 that would be a sacrifice. I’m just older now and “sitting is the new smoking”- Supercharging is getting faster every year so soon it’ll be a moot point.

For now I agree with Dennis and being bored/forced into going for a walk is a great thing. I legitimately feel better taking a real break and not a nascar one. I want to enjoy the trip more- even on my commute.

When I was younger, I’d sleep on the side of the road between semis and go cross country in 3 days. I just don’t like to be in that kind of hurry anymore- Ice or not.

To be fair I admit everything’s a compromise right? Basic economics “opportunity cost” reasoning. If I choose this I give up that. From the time I drove my first Tesla I knew I was ready to give up ICE and embrace the future. So to me it didn’t feel like a compromise but a new opportunity I couldn’t pass up. So I say introduce the family to a new experience and give them something to remember. OK off my soapbox, enjoy the trip - love the pics. I’m from NY so all that green is looking good!

Getting back to another salient point, the Audi Q7, its not like it’s a 1998 Ford Explorer. The OP could possibly have a setup which includes adaptive cruise control, ventilated seats, lane-guidance and safety features that I am adamant about being superior to Tesla’s—particularly with blind spot, lane changing warnings.

The point here is that the OP has an interesting choice between two great vehicles and his query is specific to the practicalities and comfort of his passengers in this particular instance. Just because one of the vehicles is propelled by tiny explosions does not disqualify it from being up to the task.

Unlike our M3 which, on a return trip to Colorado from Santa Fe one Thanksgiving, with a net elevation gain, night driving (lights), winter storm front coming in from northwest (headwind), cold (heater) and snow (friction) required us to drive 70 miles out of our way for an extra charging stop otherwise we’d have been stuck somewhere Poncha Pass, in the dark and colder than the leftover turkey. Our A5 Sportback would have punched through that like the Snowpiercer train—and been one helluva fun drive.

I agree. My motivation then is about the gas. I don’t like burning dinosaurs unless it’s absolutely necessary. I like that Tesla doesn’t make you sacrifice driving experience, but I support their mission.

Getting back to another salient point, the Audi Q7, its not like it’s a 1998 Ford Explorer. The OP could possibly have a setup which includes adaptive cruise control, ventilated seats, lane-guidance and safety features that I am adamant about being superior to Tesla’s—particularly with blind spot, lane changing warnings.

The point here is that the OP has an interesting choice between two great vehicles and his query is specific to the practicalities and comfort of his passengers in this particular instance. Just because one of the vehicles is propelled by tiny explosions does not disqualify it from being up to the task.

Unlike our M3 which, on a return trip to Colorado from Santa Fe one Thanksgiving, with a net elevation gain, night driving (lights), winter storm front coming in from northwest (headwind), cold (heater) and snow (friction) required us to drive 70 miles out of our way for an extra charging stop otherwise we’d have been stuck somewhere Poncha Pass, in the dark and colder than the leftover turkey. Our A5 Sportback would have punched through that like the Snowpiercer train—and been one helluva fun drive.

Reactions: Evoforce
For myself, I'd probably choose the Tesla. Mainly so that it forces me to take a 20 minute break every 3 or so hours. Otherwise my personality is to push through to the end unless stopping (for energy or bio needs) dictate. 3 or 4 stops over a quick 12 hour drive isn't that bad. Plus the dogs would be happier. I also prefer driving at night with the lighter traffic and less heat from the sun.

This is a good article on how to set it up with xfinity wifi with the device-

Setting Up Xfinity Wi-Fi Connection with GL.iNet Slate (GL-AR750S-Ext) Travel Router
This router works great. Thank you so much for the link to the setting information.
This router allows also using an USB 4G modem, when WiFi is not available.

I was not able to connect my Tesla to Xfinity Hotspots because the authentication mechanism is not supported by Tesla.
The Clone MAC address trick for the router allows me now to connect the Tesla browser to any Xfinity Hotspots.
I can also access my Dashcam remotely from the cloud.

Last edited:
Reactions: b-rey4105 and jwuwu
Where did you get this idea? ....
It certainly isn’t supported by science. .

It appears you may be taking @Snerruc comments too literally. He appears to be basing his comments on his personal
experience on his 780 miles trips from Florida to Richmond, VA. Based on Tesla's own recommendations,
increased speeds do indeed increase energy consumption. That is why, when your battery state-of-charge starts
to get too low and you're still miles from a charger, Tesla tells you to slow down and indeed actually takes measure
to make sure you slow down to REDUCE consumption and increase range. What he said:
Quote: the faster you go the more energy you use and it rises exponentially. End quote. Is reflected in numerous
comments on many Tesla forums.
In my 2015 Model S 70D I can increase my miles per kWh just by driving at a steady 55 mph. If I step it up to
70 the kWh the miles per kWh take a big hit and at 80 an even bigger hit. That's the anecdotal experience I've
seen on many of these forums concerning how speed impacts energy usage.
Not sure why you chose to argue @Snerruc point.