Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like we can cross Toyota off of the list of manufacturers that may compete with Tesla in the near future. Maybe Toyota thinks they can keep sourcing Tesla's expertise if they do feel the need to release an EV?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/1/4790136/toyota-hybrid-hydrogen-future-not-all-electric

Elon has got to be shaking his head at this story. Toyota is going to blow major money going down the hydrogen path. Nissan will be eating Toyota's lunch in less than a decade if that is the plan.

What focus group told them people want to drive hydrogen cars???

Elon has got to be shaking his head at this story. Toyota is going to blow major money going down the hydrogen path. Nissan will be eating Toyota's lunch in less than a decade if that is the plan.

What focus group told them people want to drive hydrogen cars???

BMW has been trying to make hydrogen work for a few years. Pretty much the only major manufacturer.

BMW's Hydrogen 7: Not as Green as it Seems - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Always thought it was a dumb idea but they have pushed it for a while. Toy has obviously been sipping the same kool aid.

Based on this recent news, I don't know if it's a reason to sell my car or buy the stock

I'm going to be buying both. Having the battery pack punctured by a road object is no different than getting your gas tank ruptured in the same way. Very likely the same effect will occur in both cases. From the pictures and video I'd still say the Model S is the safest car on the road. Even during the highest part of the flames a passenger or driver would have been safe. I saw no flames in the cabin of the car. Very impressive, in my opinion.

I agree. This will be a short term media 'gotcha' moment followed by the realization that this actually makes the car look much safer compared to an ICE with a similar road hazard encounter.

Actually, the media I have seen seems to give some balance to the story. The problem is 'a picture is worth a thousand words' phenomenon where they show you a burning car.

I'm glad The Baird-Flaming-Debt Showdown fiasco last week had limited discussion on this Thread. Those events don't belong here with the Longs. The amount of exaggeration by the press (to sell their stories to their advertisers no less) was completely unjustified and shows us how little the mainstream media really knows about Tesla. Very little. I have been investing for over 22 years, since September 2012 for TSLA @ $29. Ever since, I have researched Tesla for 30 minutes 6 days per week and I have never been as sure of a company, its people, and its products, to succeed as I am with Tesla Motors. The Model S is the best rated, safest and near fastest car in the World and nothing can take these achievements away. Please refer to my other posts on TMC for more reasons supporting my position (I only have written a few times). Technology and advancements will only make cars of the next Generations better, and less expensive (remember the first iPhone was $700).

Glad to see Nissan is stepping up to the plate and perhaps GM in believing in EVs. All EVs from other manufacturers are less of competition to Tesla than they serve to help support for the EV future which Tesla will play a significant part. A much bigger event occurred last week than the three aforementioned events that picked up limited press coverage, however has a far more reaching impact on Tesla, that of the World's largest Auto manufacturer, Toyota's CEO ($206B market cap) saying "no thank you" to EVs. This is absolutely huge and shows TSLA has much more upside.

I have no doubt Tesla will succeed and have bought shares along the run up and never sold, nor even thought of selling. My job requires my full attention and therefore I can not "play" the markets by trying to time the highs and the lows, was never very good at that anyway. Also, that would be a 2nd full time job, and I would much rather spend time with my family and friends than to watch the ticker tape parade all day, no matter what the gains. I'm in for the long haul. Once the Tesla 4X4 pick-up is introduced I may think about selling some of my position, however that is probably around 2020.

I can't wait to get my three year old bare bones Model X in 2018 for $35,000. It is interesting that in my position I am not a fan of purchasing a depreciating asset, even if it is the Word's best. I'll thank my Dad's frugal upbringing for that which he clearly passed on to me.

Thank you for reading and have a great day. Go EVs Go!!! I believe.

Best,

I can't wait to get my three year old bare bones Model X in 2018 for $35,000. It is interesting that in my position I am not a fan of purchasing a depreciating asset, even if it is the Word's best. I'll thank my Dad's frugal upbringing for that which he clearly passed on to me.
I'm the same, but the Gen3 is probably going to force me to buy my first brand new vehicle ever.

I'm the same, but the Gen3 is probably going to force me to buy my first brand new vehicle ever.

You guys should consider buying the car as investment research if you can afford it. When I got the Model S this past winter it reaffirmed my conviction to hold my LEAPs long term until the end and invest the rest of my savings in Sept 75 call options which turned out to be my best move. Now I have a reservation for the X and when I get it if I feel that it is the best SUV ever it will reaffirm my conviction to hold the stock long long term again, etc. if its great but not the best SUV ever then I may consider selling some of my position soon after I get the X.

I'm glad The Baird-Flaming-Debt Showdown fiasco last week had limited discussion on this Thread. Those events don't belong here with the Longs. The amount of exaggeration by the press (to sell their stories to their advertisers no less) was completely unjustified and shows us how little the mainstream media really knows about Tesla. Very little. I have been investing for over 22 years, since September 2012 for TSLA @ $29. Ever since, I have researched Tesla for 30 minutes 6 days per week and I have never been as sure of a company, its people, and its products, to succeed as I am with Tesla Motors. The Model S is the best rated, safest and near fastest car in the World and nothing can take these achievements away. Please refer to my other posts on TMC for more reasons supporting my position (I only have written a few times). Technology and advancements will only make cars of the next Generations better, and less expensive (remember the first iPhone was $700).

Glad to see Nissan is stepping up to the plate and perhaps GM in believing in EVs. All EVs from other manufacturers are less of competition to Tesla than they serve to help support for the EV future which Tesla will play a significant part. A much bigger event occurred last week than the three aforementioned events that picked up limited press coverage, however has a far more reaching impact on Tesla, that of the World's largest Auto manufacturer, Toyota's CEO ($206B market cap) saying "no thank you" to EVs. This is absolutely huge and shows TSLA has much more upside.

I have no doubt Tesla will succeed and have bought shares along the run up and never sold, nor even thought of selling. My job requires my full attention and therefore I can not "play" the markets by trying to time the highs and the lows, was never very good at that anyway. Also, that would be a 2nd full time job, and I would much rather spend time with my family and friends than to watch the ticker tape parade all day, no matter what the gains. I'm in for the long haul. Once the Tesla 4X4 pick-up is introduced I may think about selling some of my position, however that is probably around 2020.

Thank you for reading and have a great day. Go EVs Go!!! I believe.

Best,

Hello Words of HABIT.
Thank you for this post, and for this perspective. In trying to stay current on Tesla and TSLA, I have been subscribed to both this thread and the Short Term investment thread. There is a lot of excitement on the short term thread. It is fascinating to watch the tactics discussed there, and to slowly become conversant in some of the terminology (not to mention witnessing some of the gains!). The risk / reward quotient is different over there. As you say, besides requiring a wealth of options trading knowledge, minute to minute monitoring of daily trading is likely the norm, which presents a tremendous challenge if that kind of dedicated oversight can't be applied. It is gratifying and sobering to read your perspective, in part for the well-founded basis for your long term commitment, and in part for the recognition of your own comfort level with various types of investment approaches. I subscribe to this thread in part to balance the view and focus on the short term thread. In trying to formulate my own investment approach, I will take the words you've written here into strong consideration.

This popped up in my IB news window for Tesla:
http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/What+Secret+Project+is+Tesla+%28TSLA%29+Working+On%3F+And+Whats+In+a+Name%3F/8755589.html?si_client=intbro

The interesting part:
According to the analyst, Tesla is likely working on a stealth project related to Grid Storage and Grid Parity Storage. He said there are probably 5 engineers currently working on the above initiative and this group may grow to 20 engineers within next 6 to 8 months. A product offering in Grid Storage and Grid Parity Storage could come within next 2 to 3 years, he said.

This would add a new revenue line to TSLA.

SpaceX halo on TSLA

I haven't seen anyone mention Elon's Sept 29 tweet, following the successful launch of SpaceX's next-gen Falcon 9 rocket with "lots of new technology." Elon said:
"Between this flight & Grasshopper tests, I think we now have all the pieces of the puzzle to bring the rocket back home."
Twitter / elonmusk: Between this flight ...

Grasshopper is a test rocket that SpaceX has been bringing home from increasingly complex short flights. Here is the latest one:
Grasshopper Divert | Single Cam (Grasshopper vs. Cows) - YouTube

But Elon's tweet is about bringing home the Falcon 9, to a controlled power landing, after a mission to orbit. In other words, the world's first fully reusable orbital launch vehicle.

If SpaceX solves that puzzle, it will be a monumental achievement that will revolutionize space industry by cutting the cost of space launches by orders of magnitude.
Why Make Rockets Reusable? - YouTube

NASA couldn't do that: the Space Shuttle launch boosters dropped in the ocean and the fuel tank broke up on reentry.
Space Shuttle external tank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No other government or corporation in the world has done it. If Elon and his team can do it, I expect there will be a halo effect on Elon's other ventures, including Tesla.

"The next orbital flight test of the Grasshopper technology is planned for the next International Space Station delivery mission for SpaceX's Dragon cargo ship, currently slated for February. If all goes well, Musk says, the first stage of the Falcon 9 used for that flight will have landing legs. The plan is to have the first stage booster touch down back at its Cape Canaveral launch site."
Musk: SpaceX Now Has For Reusable Rockets - Popular Mechanics