Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I had a friend who is a long time skeptic break down and tell me he's thinking about getting one and wanted a test drive. I gave him one and he said he's sold and now has to convince his wife (sounded like me in summer 2012 when I first test drove it).

Today, brought it to the car wash...an old lady comes up to me when I'm about to get in after they dry it and tells me her friend just got one this week and she's excited to test drive her friend's car this weekend. She has a hybrid Lexus SUV and I told her she's going to get one once she test drives the S...she agreed because it looks so nice...but I told her it looks nice but the drive is what will sell her, she said she knows because of her hybrid SUV smooth driving...I just chuckled inside knowing its not even close.

these are everyday examples of excitement that can't be quantified in DCF...probably not in any spreadsheet either...basically as many cars as Tesla can produce I believe they will sell for the foreseeable future. There's at least a 3-5 year headstart in batter technology Tesla has here and by the tme someone catches up Tesla will be a generation of technology ahead of them. They can even increase the price further if they'd like to squeeze more margins if need be.

I agree. They will be sold out for a long time. I am expecting they announce they are spending what is needed to expand the production capacity to 50k a year. It seems obvious that soon, that will be the bottleneck.

Interesting article. The stuff Elon does for fun is amazing and this particular thing will get Tesla a ton of press coverage.
Elon Musk to make James Bond submarine car a reality - Oct. 17, 2013

Let me try to explain valuation models this in simplified terms:

A P/E analysis first assumes something about what kind of company you have, typically by comparison with others. Then it assumes that for this kind of company, each $ of earnings corresponds to a certain company value. Upthread, for instance, Sleepyhead used Toyota as the basis of comparison, and then "added some" ("if each $ earnings in Toyota is worth $25 market price, then it should be at least $30 for Tesla). Used this way, the method does not really look at fundamentals - if Toyota is overpriced, then the value you find for Tesla will be overpriced as well. However, instead of using comparison you can build a P/E up from fundamentals - for instance you can assume a typical discount rate to find that a company with flat earnings for the foreseeable future should have a P/E around 7.

A DCF analysis looks at the present value of a company for an investor who buys and holds it forever. That investor cares about how much dividends the company will be able to pay (this is the fundamental basis for all share prices), which also is largely reflected in earnings. So you project the earnings for the foreseeable future, and then you figure out how much that is worth in today's money. So this metric looks directly at the fundamental value of the company, based on assumptions.

(A P/S analysis, by the way, assumes that each $ of sales should correspond to a certain stock price. While it can be used for an occasional reality check, it disregards even the profitability of the company (in addition to all the other simplifications of the P/E). It was used during the dotcom era to defend sky-high valuations of unprofitable growth companies. Most of them never reached profitability. However, comparing to companies of equal profitability with P/S gives exactly the same result as a P/E.)

The DCF approach is even better with stable companies than with growth companies (or depending on your POV, is less unreliable for mature companies). DCF is premised on the efficient market hypothesis that a company's value today is equal to the expected value of future cash flows.

No, DCF is not premised on efficient markets. It provides an estimate of the fundamental value of the company, regardless of the efficiency of markets.

Efficient markets only come into the picture if assume that long term fundamentals are reflected in the share price (which I think is a basic premise of this thread, regardless of which method you use to assess those fundamentals).

With a stable company, the assumptions needed to estimate future cash flows are less heroic.

Yes, it is easier to value a stable company, but DCF does not make it simpler or harder. With DCF will scratch your head over what to assume about future cash flows, and correspondignly with P/E you will scratch your head over which P/E number to chose. Each method has advantages and disadvantages in this respect:

- With DCF, it is easy to get an answer that is "exactly wrong". You fill in a spreadsheet with assumptions of what the capital requirements will be in 2022 and stuff like that, basically pulling the figures out of your ass. Then you show the spreadsheet to someone, and they think "wow, how detailed he has worked that out" and believe they have The Right Answer. On the other hand, the advantage is the understanding you get by checking and varying the assumptions. By trying different scenarios, you can learn a lot about which assumptions are the key ones, and then you can make some scenarios (and ideally, as I advocate for high-uncertainty situations, you do a probability-weighted average of those). For instance, Prof. Damodaran's model showed that his assumptions for capital requirements and employee options were quite important, while some others were not. To a certain extent you can say that the model is nothing, the modeling is everything.

- A P/E hides the assumptions in a black box. If you for instance use a comparison with Toyota, you are basically assuming that the value drivers of Tesla and Toyota are similar. You disregard the possibility that the future earnings trajectory may be quite different, that there may be fundamental differences in capital structure, capital intensity, hidden liabilities, brand value, tax rates, ZEV credits, new business opportunities etc. (or at least you assume that all these factors even out and on average don't matter). As used by Sleepyhead, it is even worse, because he is using a ratio comparing the Toyota of today to the Tesla of 2018. A skilled P/E user such as Sleepyhead will try to take the potential differences into account and guesstimate a correction. Just as with DCF, an unskilled user will mindlessly apply a ratio without knowing what he is really assuming. This is the garbage in/garbage out factor playing out alike for both methods. But I would say that the disadvantage even for Sleepyhead is that he can easily overlook some factors that could be important in the analysis. Also with P/E it is important to make scenarios for a company like Tesla, because your One Main Predicition will most likely not hit the mark. And finally, P/Es are very cyclical. Today's levels have only been surpassed twice since 1880, so may not be sustainable. Using comparative ratios in this market may give a result that overshoots fundamentals.

Also, because one applies a discount factor to future earnings, the flat profile of a mature company's earnings doesn't depend as much on the discount rate you apply (which, properly considered, should include risk factors, which are also hard to estimate).

Actually this is wrong. Risk factors (as in "uncertainties about future cash flows") should go into the cash flow model - either by making the projection a "middle-of-the-road" scenario or by doing multiple scenarios and then do a weighted average based on probabilites. The only risk that should go into the discount factor is the cyclical risk (so-called beta). The discount rate will always be contentious, but for a stock where the debate is whether the right value is $50 or $1000, other assumptions will be much more important than whether to use 7% or 10%. In any case, this assumption is hidden any P/E ratio you might use, so even if you don't see it you are still assuming a certain time value of money (you just don't know which).

Long and the short of this: I think a DCF model for valuing Audi stock is reasonable, but not so for TSLA.

I think the exact opposite: Audi is a know quantity, and you won't go very wrong with a P/E. With Tesla, there is more value in digging into the underlying assumptions, which is what you do with a DCF.

It seems to me, trying to understand this, that in addition, if you compare the DCF value to an ordinary stock price, you would be comparing apples to oranges. Under the assumption that Audi's revenue remains constant in the future, the DCF value of its stock price would probably be much lower than the actual stock price. Meaning, if I understand this correctly, that the DCF value is much lower than the prices one might compare it to (if one doesn't know it is a DCF value). One might discount the value twice, if you follow my thought. A percentage of 10% per year was mentioned, which to me suggests that DCF "prices in" a certain growth factor (and one might not be aware of that). If that is the case, and one hears the DCF value of a theoretical company with constant revenue, one would think its price will go down, whereas in reality, it might remain constant.

You are right that using DCF today's value will be lower than tomorrow's, but that is the expected behaviour of stocks. If you predict that the stock should be at $500 in 2030, you most probably should not buy it at $300 today (because it would only give you 3.1% annual return). DCF factors this in, so that when it outputs a value for today, it takes into account that you want the stock to rise at a certain minimum rate to want to hold it. So when you look at the per share result from a DCF, you compare it to today's stock price - if the DCF is higher, that indicates that you might earn more than the time value of money by investing.

I hope this clarifies a bit. I am a bit surprised that there is an almost ideological debate about different valuation methods. They are all tools in a toolbox - use them correctly and when appropriate. Or feel free not to.

Last edited:
In the discussion for updated orders page that now has for US the power folding mirrors in the tech package so there's some update in the cars features that also increased the tech package price slightly. However what was interesting for me was that I looked for the EU order page to see if that's progressed there as well (it's not) and while doing that noticed that the Performance 85 model has "Delivers in 5-6 months" now as the estimate. I ordered 1 month ago and then it said "Delivers in January" which made it ~4 months meaning that the EU queue length has gone up or Tesla is planning to produce less cars per month for EU. I'd bet more on the fact that the interest has gone up with actual deliveries and the queue has gotten longer. If we factor in a steady increase in production capacity this bodes real well for 2014 deliveries in EU.

In the discussion for updated orders page that now has for US the power folding mirrors in the tech package so there's some update in the cars features that also increased the tech package price slightly. However what was interesting for me was that I looked for the EU order page to see if that's progressed there as well (it's not) and while doing that noticed that the Performance 85 model has "Delivers in 5-6 months" now as the estimate. I ordered 1 month ago and then it said "Delivers in January" which made it ~4 months meaning that the EU queue length has gone up or Tesla is planning to produce less cars per month for EU. I'd bet more on the fact that the interest has gone up with actual deliveries and the queue has gotten longer. If we factor in a steady increase in production capacity this bodes real well for 2014 deliveries in EU.

Elon has said before that there is a direct relationship between deliveries in an area and subsequent orders there. Sort of a moment of cold fusion for Tesla. I wonder with the initial rush of cancellations late last year and early this year now being over (when people were asked to configure after years of holding a reservation), perhaps Tesla has a much better picture of a percentage of reservations that translate into orders/deliveries. May so strong a projection they might begin to share that number with us - you know, 'We delivered 6,500 Model S' in Q3 and exited with the highest backlog ever, XX,000 reservations on the books." Would be nice to know.

You are right that using DCF today's value will be lower than tomorrow's, but that is the expected behaviour of stocks. If you predict that the stock should be at $500 in 2030, you most probably should not buy it at $300 today (because it would only give you 3.1% annual return). DCF factors this in, so that when it outputs a value for today, it takes into account that you want the stock to rise at a certain minimum rate to want to hold it. So when you look at the per share result from a DCF, you compare it to today's stock price - if the DCF is higher, that indicates that you might earn more than the time value of money by investing.

I hope this clarifies a bit. I am a bit surprised that there is an almost ideological debate about different valuation methods. They are all tools in a toolbox - use them correctly and when appropriate. Or feel free not to.

+1 DonPedro - The DCF is the best way to value TSLA because it is an extreme growth stock. As you correctly noted there are many things about Tesla's P/L that are drastically different from any other company. Compare Tesla to other automakers and you find Tesla has no marketing budget, sells cars at full retail price vs. wholesale, has revenue that is increasing at the rate of a dot.com, etc. Those can be modeled. They won't all be accurate but you can ballpark a reasonable expectation and have more clarity on Tesla's future than w/o a DCF.

BTW, Prof. Damodaran's DCF has many faults. IMHO the biggest are: stating Tesla's sales will be comparable to Audi's. Audi sold 1.45 million cars in 2012. Many of us believe that the Gen III platform will result in many more sales than that number once capacity infrastructure is in place. The second is comparing Tesla margins to Porsche. Sorry, but Porsche sells their cars wholesale and Tesla sells at full retail. Tesla's margins will be much higher than Porsche's. Lastly, it's impossible to forecast Tesla's development and potential Supercharger Access revenue. If Tesla maintains their battery technology lead over the rest of the industry then it will be inevitable that the other automakers will be forced to buy Tesla's batteries and motors or at least to license the technology. And if that happens there is a reasonable expectation that they pay Tesla so that their own cars can access the Tesla Supercharger network which will be fully implemented and will have the advantage of being first to market and therefore having the best locations. My last point may not come to fruition. But if it does, then Tesla gets a HUGE P/E for they will dominate the auto industry.

AT&T announcement is leading me down the road of apps and a Tesla App Store.....a new revenue stream. Many apps will be using the cell network. Tesla has to have data plans in place before they can allow Apps to go live.

My guess, an app for your Model S could be $5 on the low, higher depending on functionality. I have not seen any research estimates from the big banks taking into account App Store Revenue.

Overly simplistic math on Tesla App Store Revenue:
2014 : 25,000 cars x avg 3 app purchases @ $5 = $375K revenue
2017 : 175,000 cars x avg 4 app purchases @ $5 = $3,500K revenue
2020 : 750,000 cars x avg 4 app purchases @ $5 = $15,000K revenue

Not huge but it would be high margin. Something fun to think about!

So considering your chart for the Model S, I think the average unit price is way too low. The Model S will be released in China starting in 2014 and so far reports are showing it to start at 1M rmb ($163k usd), so going forward there will be a large chunk of MS cars (depending on demand in China) that will be selling well over 100k...
In the way of gross margin, I think 40% gross margin is very optimistic. Not saying it can't be done, but I want to see how gross margin changes over the course of 2014 before I judge how high it can go. I would be very happy with anything over 30%.

The cost of the car in foreign to US countries is higher due to Value Added Tax (12-17%?) Consumption Cost (15%-25%?) and Custom Duties (10%?). The $162,000/Model S for China would not equate to $162,000 back to Tesla, for which my figures are based. I recall EM stating Tesla would not exploit the demand in other Countries unlike other auto manufacturers. Therefore I foresee average more in line with $90,000/Model S. With Battery costs decreasing 5-10% per year, and added efficiencies of mass production, margins will increase and Tesla will be able to pass on some of these savings to the customer to increase demand as well as increase battery range. I agree that for the Gen. III car, 30% margin will be a good number to beat.

Words,

I believe demand for G3 will be much higher than the production numbers you show. If Tesla can supply and ramp to meet demand, I believe you will see much more aggressive deliveries.

lolachampcar, I certainly hope so, and believe my figures to be cautiously optimistic. For example, Mr. Irwin is throwing 300,000 - 500,000 for '17. I have no doubt the demand will be North of my assumptions, however the supply constraint is another story. I would much prefer Tesla to ramp up more slowly (understatement) to avoid quality control issues. They shouldn't be following those like Toyota who announced this week yet another recall of close to 900,000 vehicles. Ramping up from 24,000 (expected '14) to over 600,000 (my forecast '20) represents a 25X increase in production in just seven years. This is still enormous. I didn't go past '20 in my chart, but that is when the production numbers really take off. Applying another 25X increase over 7 years would equate to 15,000,000 vehicles by '27, but even the longest term Tesla Bull would call this a "pie in the sky".
Best,
Words of HABIT

I think you are more or less confirming my impression, as I am not doubting the abstract value of going through the process of computing such a number. DCFs seem to have the tendency to imply the expectation of a quite high annual return (10%), setting a quite high standard as a general number. So one really needs to be aware of that expectation being part of the number already, as its effect can easily be higher than than 2x (and 5x for 2030).

I'm saying this aside from several larger concerns I saw regarding the specific assumptions of the DCF we were discussing (for example, significantly, regarding the cost (and time) of getting to mass production level, and the dilution it would require... or not). But then, that is where you obtained very different results.

Last edited:
I am not sure if this should be in the short or long term thread but here it lands.

Part of Elon's options package is for Tesla to achieve 30 percent margins for four consecutive quarters. I think it is apparent to all here that Elon will push hard to meet all the milestones necessary for his maximum payout. I dont think he will push hard because he is greedy but because this is what was laid out to him as a set of goals for him to reach and he is very goal oriented. I think he is pushing hard to exit q4 at 30 percent gross margins so he can have his 4 quarters in 2014.

At the end of Q4 they will begin producing in limited numbers the first Model X's. These will all be signature Model X's and will be in very low volume so I don't think that will pull down gross margin. Once we get into Q1 2015 and start producing the Model X in volume gross margins will take a negative hit initially. Just like the Model S I think in time they will get in back to the levels that the Model S will be at and maybe higher but with each model they introduce I believe it will drag their gross margins down temporarily.

When they start volume production of Gen 3 I think it may be very difficult to hold a 30 percent margin at least not until it has been produced for many years. For these reasons I think Elon and company will be pushing hard to get as close to 30 percent GM going into Q1 as possible.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Part of Elon's options package is for Tesla to achieve 30 percent margins for four consecutive quarters. I think it is apparent to all here that Elon will push hard to meet all the milestones necessary for his maximum payout. I dont think he will push hard because he is greedy but because this is what was laid out to him as a set of goals for him to reach and he is very goal oriented. I think he is pushing hard to exit q4 at 30 percent gross margins so he can have his 4 quarters in 2014.

Great points blakegallagher. Additionally, Elon has alluded to not wanting to run 2 companies long-term and you can tell by the way he talks that SpaceX and putting people on Mars is his biggest personal goal. Tesla's goal of "accelerating the advent of electric vehicles" is much more vague and appearing much more inevitable every day. I believe long-term Elon sees Tesla as a means to raise capital for several Mars missions and begin colonizing the planet. The couple billion extra dollars he stands to make if he unlocks all his options will be needed for these missions.

I am not sure if this should be in the short or long term thread but here it lands.

At the end of Q4 they will begin producing in limited numbers the first Model X's. These will all be signature Model X's and will be in very low volume so I don't think that will pull down gross margin. Once we get into Q1 2015 and start producing the Model X in volume gross margins will take a negative hit initially. Just like the Model S I think in time they will get in back to the levels that the Model S will be at and maybe higher but with each model they introduce I believe it will drag their gross margins down temporarily.

When they start volume production of Gen 3 I think it may be very difficult to hold a 30 percent margin at least not until it has been produced for many years. For these reasons I think Elon and company will be pushing hard to get as close to 30 percent GM going into Q1 as possible.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Aside from that, there's another benefit to his options package for Tesla. Remember that financing guarantee? Elon is personally backing it. Achieving his targets is beneficial for the company because his asset value would increase substantially.

More people realise the fact that if you drive a Taxi, then you should choose Tesla.

http://www.rogalandsavis.no/nyheter/article6934348.ece (norwegian)

Yeah, when I last took a cab here in Tallinn I asked out of curiosity what the approximate daily distance is that the guys drive and he did some maths from his logbook and said that he averages 200-300km with the freak day being 400km. With the 85kWh battery he could charge at home and do his daily faring without a single hiccup even during winter barring the freak day in -30C when he might have to stop for a charge mid-day when he takes his lunch break to offset the possible distance needs. So yes, for city cabs the Tesla would be a perfect car considering that you could save 5-10x on the fuel cost depending on region and fuel is one of the biggest components of cab fare cost. So I also see a bright future in cab companies implementing taxis. Heck, if I had the capital I might pick it up myself ;)