Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
21:09. Q: Tesla has some pretty big plans for the next 12 months. How are you going to build all these cars?
21:09? A: We’re going to expand our production. It’s going to be a year or more before we need to do that. We have a 5 million square feet factory. We’re justing just a quarter of that right now.

I really want to see the video of this event so I can read more into this statement. Is he claiming that they'll expand production beyond NUMMI before even starting to build Gen III? That would be huge!

I really want to see the video of this event so I can read more into this statement. Is he claiming that they'll expand production beyond NUMMI before even starting to build Gen III? That would be huge!

Yeah, I was wondering how to interpret that statement as well.

I found this (horrible quality) video from the event, but it cuts out before he comes to the production question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsI2ToCGo-A

In that quote, something else stood out for me. When I took the factory tour during Teslive the phrase they were still using was "we're only using 1/10th of the factory". Now they're saying "1/4 of the factory". That's a pretty significant jump in space usage in NUMMI terms.

In that quote, something else stood out for me. When I took the factory tour during Teslive the phrase they were still using was "we're only using 1/10th of the factory". Now they're saying "1/4 of the factory". That's a pretty significant jump in space usage in NUMMI terms.

hmm, not sure what to make of the 1/4 usage statement... Could mean they are gearing up for 100k + production capability for 2014. Asking everyone in London, Germany, and China to Oder ASAP or wait 5 months could generate some serious demand for next year.

I think that Tesla could sell 75,000 units (worldwide) of the Tesla Model S alone in 2016.

The last car to get a 99/100 from consumer reports was the 2007 Lexus LS, and according to Wikipedia, the Lexus LS sold 71,760 units worldwide in 2007. True, it was the same year as the model year, but the Model S requires mass adoption before it would be able to sell huge volumes of cars, so a likely prediction might be 2015-2016.

When they first started building the Model S they were using 20% of the factory. This was with the goal of making 400 cars a week. The 25% number makes sense as they have ramped up to ~570 a week (to be confirmed next week).

That factory used to make 10,000 cars per week when it was NUMMI, and significantly less automated than it currently is. I don't think they're using anywhere near 20% of it for actual production... maybe storage.

That factory used to make 10,000 cars per week when it was NUMMI, and significantly less automated than it currently is. I don't think they're using anywhere near 20% of it for actual production... maybe storage.

Right when they say production I am pretty sure they are including every step of the supply chain (including internal storage of parts and what not).

Next, again from Elon Musk:
I have high confidence that we can create a compelling [COGS] for around $35,000, compelling meaning a 200 mile range.
This means Tesla can drop the price from $80,000 to $55,000 and still keep its gross profits of $20,000 per vehicle. At $55,000, the Tesla car is far more affordable.

Is the author confusing the $35,000 price range gen3 with Tesla dropping the price on the Modle S?

Also, was a ETA given for right hand drive models of the S? I remember hearing something about it a couple months ago.

Last edited:
Is the author confusing the $35,000 price range gen3 with Tesla dropping the price on the Modle S?

Also, was a ETA given for right hand drive models of the S? I remember hearing something about it a couple months ago.

The numbers he uses are very rough/ballpark all over the article. With the $55k he may have been trying to state an average price of per car sold (Gen 3, Model S, X average).. but not sure. $20k profit on $55k is 36%.. sounds high for an average. Sounds like AAPL, and perhaps someday Tesla could pull in those type of profits down the road.

I think he was misled by a mistranscription of Elon's quote. He said compelling "car" not compelling "COGS". The author literally took a $20k gross margin, added it to $35k "COGS" to get a $55k car with 36% gross margin. Bizarre. We should discount this piece. On the other hand, today's battery announcement is fantastic.

PANASONIC AND TESLA REACH AGREEMENT TO EXPAND SUPPLY OF AUTOMOTIVE-GRADE BATTERY CELLS | Press Releases | Tesla Motors

"2 billion cells over the course of four years"

How many cars does this translate to? Thus, what growth rate can we expect?

Forbes, DB are putting it at 300K to 330K cars. But they are using current cell counts per car as it is. But aren't batteries supposed to get efficient every passing year?

Does this deserve a separate thread?

See the cost per kWh thread. They are discussing this very aspect of it (number of cells).