Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Term Parking in Seattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fellow Model 3 owner friends

I have recently picked up my M3 SR+ (240mi/386km range) in Vancouver, BC, Canada. As much as I love the car, I found a bit annoying to plan a road trip, especially if nightly stay is needed. After a whole day trip, you need a nightly charge almost 90% of the time. You have to fight for a charging station even if you already booked the hotel with the charging facility. Therefore, it's always better to book a hotel with Tesla "destination charger" to avoid the competition with other EV owners. Anyway, I'm still Okay with that. Now I have a situation that I couldn't figure out if its doable or not, thus need some advice from you guys.

Few months ago before I got my M3, I booked a cruise start from Seattle. The plan was to drive my ICE car to the pier, park it there for 7 days and drive it back. Now with the 3, it seems like the car is not suitable to park somewhere outside for extensive period time. So should we just give up the plan to drive and park my M3 in Seattle, or is there some suggestions for long term EV parking?

Thanks a bunch!

How far out till your cruise? If you want to drive I would charge fully before parking. Before the trip park the car unplugged for a couple nights and see how much charge you loose. If you have everything off I think you should be fine.

Is your concern about parking it outside that you are afraid it might lose a lot of range, or is it something else like vandalism?

We just took a two-week trip in our model X, so the model 3 sat at home unplugged for 2 weeks. It lost a few miles, I don't remember exactly how many but it was less than 10.

Turn off any third party status apps, and you can disable sentry mode and data access.

Is your concern about parking it outside that you are afraid it might lose a lot of range, or is it something else like vandalism?

We just took a two-week trip in our model X, so the model 3 sat at home unplugged for 2 weeks. It lost a few miles, I don't remember exactly how many but it was less than 10.

Turn off any third party status apps, and you can disable sentry mode and data access.

Sounds like a good news to me! I'm more concerned about the phantom drain under the sun light.

Reactions: calidreamz808
How far out till your cruise? If you want to drive I would charge fully before parking. Before the trip park the car unplugged for a couple nights and see how much charge you loose. If you have everything off I think you should be fine.

My cruise is end of Aug. As you suggested, and I just realize, there's a Tesla SC nearby. I'll probably charge it up before leave it for long term.

Got back from a cruise recently. Here are the Tesla details of the trip.

-Drove 1,650km’s / 1,025 miles to Baltimore and back, from Hamilton, Ontario.

-Left the Tesla at the cruise ship port for 9 nights.
It only lost 11 km’s / 7 miles for the full 9 nights.

-Turned off wifi, the alarm, & sentry mode. I only connected to the car once.

My M3 AWD had 4 adults, and was full of luggage, frunk included. The Air Conditioner was on 90% of the time there and back.

-Consumption was:
(162 wh/km) / (260 wh/mile) round trip.
Drove through rain most of the way there. Sunny all the way back.
Did the speed limit, or 10 over most of the way.
Definitely a lot of speeds around:
104 km/h - 112 km/h
65 mph - 70 mph.

-Car has 37,743km’s / 23,452 miles on it now.
SOC sits around 98% so I’m happy with that.
Car is a shade over 8 months old now.

Overall, I’m really happy with those stats. !

Got back from a cruise recently. Here are the Tesla details of the trip.

-Drove 1,650km’s / 1,025 miles to Baltimore and back, from Hamilton, Ontario.

-Left the Tesla at the cruise ship port for 9 nights.
It only lost 11 km’s / 7 miles for the full 9 nights.

-Turned off wifi, the alarm, & sentry mode. I only connected to the car once.

My M3 AWD had 4 adults, and was full of luggage, frunk included. The Air Conditioner was on 90% of the time there and back.

-Consumption was:
(162 wh/km) / (260 wh/mile) round trip.
Drove through rain most of the way there. Sunny all the way back.
Did the speed limit, or 10 over most of the way.
Definitely a lot of speeds around:
104 km/h - 112 km/h
65 mph - 70 mph.

-Car has 37,743km’s / 23,452 miles on it now.
SOC sits around 98% so I’m happy with that.
Car is a shade over 8 months old now.

Overall, I’m really happy with those stats. !

That was encouraging! Did you parked inside or outside under the sunlight?

I also went on a week long cruise and left my Model 3 outside for 8 days in Santa Rosa, CA. I only lost a couple percent of battery and had overheat protection ON (without A/C). Invest in a nice windshield sunscreen and you will have no worries!

Thanks! Do you remember which sunshade did you purchase? There seems to have lots on Amazon. Or did you buy the one from Tesla?