Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long time to sleep, anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does the same for me. My theory is that I just drove the car. The thermal regulation system runs for a fair while before it will let the car go to sleep. As others if I just open the door to grab something, it will get back to sleep faster. It does it at my office too (when I could go to work at least). Don't try to blame teslafi or others, the car is doing its thing. Thermal regulation, 12V charging, uploading data, there are plenty of reasons for it to wait a bit before sleeping. It's not a problem until the car decides to never sleep and you lose a lot of battery.

I have been fighting this issue off and on for over a year. I use a wireless extender with an SSID that I only connect my M3 to and turning off the extender does NOT solve the problem (in my opinion it should). Turning off Wifi in the car does not stop the long awake times which occur only at home. Looks like forgetting the network MAY solve the problem it didn't six months ago. My resent awake times have sometime been four to five hours. Maybe the Tesla engineers will change the logic to allow sleeping if the car does not successfully connect to the home WIfi network after say ten minutes. I do not mind if the car is awake connect to the Wifi if it is actually doing something over the connection (assuming it it not hours). It does not help Tesla with its neural network if people forget their network or otherwise disallow connecting to their home Wifi. That said, I will be forgetting the SSID connection and turning off Wifi in the car until this issue is fixed.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by absolutely trying to make the car sleep. Mine wakes up by itself sometimes to run the thermal system for a while, or whatever it does, and goes back to sleep later. It really doesn't consume a lot of energy, and it might even be doing something for the better of the car itself.