TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Long wait times for SC to get parts for repair

Discussion in 'Model S' started by derekmw, Mar 21, 2018.

1. derekmw

derekmw Member

I was just curious if other areas are seeing this type of issue? I have been waiting since 1/9 for a new windshield and driver seat. My windshield leaks when it rains or going through a car wash and my driver seat hinge is falling apart, causing the seat to rock when you accelerate/brake.

Nothing detrimental but the windshield is a pain since every time it rains or I want to wash the car, I have to deal with water dripping inside.

The SC keeps saying they are working to get the parts but been almost 3 months. What if I had an actual shattered windshield? I would not be able to drive for 3+ months? Or are we seeing SC pushing back customers with needs that aren't as 'important/critical' as other customers?

Either way, I've never had to wait this long for a repair from SC and wondering what the cause of all these delays are.

To make matters worse, I have been calling every 2 weeks since 1/9 and I never get a follow up. They always say they are looking into it and will get back to me, and then I never hear back. I have to keep calling to find out what is happening.

• Informative x 1
  2. demundus

demundus Active Member

You're at their mercy since this sounds like warranty work. FWIW I got my windshield in a day from Safelite (corporate discount, otherwise i probably woulda gone local mom-pop).

I requested a hood hinge from them and it took them over 3 months to get it... or rather, they had it a couple weeks after my request and forgot to call me. Got it for free! :p

The entire nation/world has your issue, especially body shops. Sorry to say... also the San Diego SVC is crazy busy, they need to open the rumored Carlsbad one ASAP

3. EESP

EESP Member

Been waiting for a MCU since early December. Car is driveable, but audio system and online access is a bit wonky..

4. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

I've been waiting for over 6 months for an passenger side door panel. sigh.

5. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

My MS went in for 50K a few weeks back. They swapped out the MCU twice. First time the backup camera didn't work.

6. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

I’m in the Seattle area and been waiting for a windshield as well. Can’t remember the date I did the claim but I know it was a month and a half wait. Kept calling to glass repair company who was going to do the repair to check on it. They had to call Tesla and get an update and call me back to inform me that Tesla has a back log of windshields and currently waiting on 13 windshields just for the Seattle area. Well, a few days ago, I called and again and they called Tesla again and this time it was, “Tesla has some at their distribution center near by and will have it shipped to day” interesting how they never checked their local distribution center until now?

7. derekmw

derekmw Member

Wow, ok, so it's not just our area but all around it seems. I feel bad for anyone who has a problem that actually disables the car. Or maybe it's a good thing, get a Tesla rental and keep miles off your own car. :p

8. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

A windshield is a insurance claim and therefore, Tesla won’t cover a loaner car. They only give out loaners if it’s a warranty claim

9. derekmw

derekmw Member

Oh I wasn't talking about windshield specifically. Any part that makes it impossible to drive the car safely. But even windshield, if it's not an accident related but problem with the install (say it actually comes loose - not just a minor leak like mine), would be warranty issue that Tesla would have to address.

10. MarkSmithCLT

MarkSmithCLT New Member

My Model S was struck in the left front bumper while parked. There was enough intrusion to render it undriveable. Happened 6 weeks ago and Tesla has still not delivered the necessary parts to repair it.

• Informative x 1
  11. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

I have found the telephone or emails to not be a satisfactory way of communicating with the SC. If it is at all possible, pay them a few nice visits about your concern, and with your smiling face and good demeanor it seems to help immensely.

• Helpful x 1
  12. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

I've been waiting for 9 months for an interior door panel. Have my SC manager on speed dial but even he is unable to get the correct part delivered.

13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I’ve been waiting over a year now for a drivers seat replacement
    Doubt I’ll get it as every time I call and ask they have no idea when it’ll show up

14. Drlev

Drlev Member

I feel for you (and I can relate). Similar incident, though a little less severe. The body shop didn’t get a replacement front fascia for 4 weeks, and the front carrier/radiator mount (which I’m going to assume is the part they’re waiting on) took another week after that.

My advice to you is to be the squeakiest (but friendly) wheel you can possibly be. Get Tesla’s body shop support involved. Get the service manager at your service center on board. They can facilitate and speed things up. That’s part of their job. Make it clear that Tesla’s inability to produce and ship replacement parts in a timely manner is the problem.

My car was fixed pretty quickly after things were stepped up, with Tesla paying for my rental and gasoline, and with a complimentary extended service plan for my trouble, as well as a whole punchlist of other little things addressed quickly thereafter by the service center.

15. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

My buddy has a S in shop in Dallas for almost one year awaiting body parts.

16. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

That is terrible! Or should I say, all of these stories sound so very wrong.

17. daktari

daktari Member

Similar problems in Norway also. Huge delays on SC due to lacking parts.

18. JammyP

JammyP Member

Same in UK. Bizarrely I booked my car in 1 month in advance for a Frunk latch replacement. Now been in a loaner for 2 weeks. Find it odd they didn’t order the part before they took my car!

19. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

I wish I would've pushed harder about my driver's seat rocking around during acceleration/braking. I had it on my list but each time they looked at the seat they spent all their time diagnosing the awful/loud creaking the seat back made and never any time on my rocking seat. I didn't mind that because I thought the rocking seat was just something that needed to be tightened. fast forward to out of warranty (now) and when I bring it back up they say I'll need an entire new seat and mounting system. The quote was almost a couple grand and it would take several months just to get the parts to fix it since I have the original seats. Thanks Tesla.