TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Look ma, no batteries ! Future Model S race series with Nikola's Tesla tech

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Lex, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Lex

Lex Member

The potential for drop-in replacement battery packs opens up the future possibility of drop-in energy technology.

Imagine a classic race series in 10 or 20 years with the Model S, but with way lighter packs, ie. just the structural elements required to make it the beast it is.

A true classic and inspiring vehicle like the Model S will see a healthy number in collectors' hands, and continue to be driven.
    2016-03-11-tesla-model-s_med.jpg
    Let's say it's wireless, like the original Tesla transmission scheme !
    wardenclyffe-tesla-tower.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg
    But only in an enclosed race area to keep it near-time realistic.

Pack weight is approx 1800 lbs ?
    Car is 4800 lbs curb approx ?
    = base car 3000 lbs.

Maybe we have carbon nanofoam or foamy aluminum by then or whatever so the structural "pack" with teh magic tech is 250 lbs or so.

As if the MS doesn't (quietly) scream already. But then again there are limits to surface adhesion. What kind of car would it be ?

Closest thread I could find to anything like this:
    Removing ballast from a 40KWh Model S - Page 4

2. Lex

Lex Member

Looks like I'm getting my wish sooner than later ! I can't wait to hear more about this wild project.
    http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/someone-is-finally-racing-a-tesla-model-s-up-pikes-peak-1777891182

A Modified Tesla Model S Will Run Pikes Peak for the First Time This Year

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

The 85 and 90 kWh packs are nothing close to 1800 lbs.

4. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

The reporting that the battery will be 80% ligher was incorrect.
    A Tesla Model S with a 80% lighter battery pack to compete at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb [Updated]

Also I think you're making an incorrect assumption. It's not a much lighter battery with the same capacity that the Tesla already had. It's a much lighter battery with a much reduced capacity, since a short race doesn't need a battery with a long range capacity.
    Tesla Model S To Compete For The First Time In Pikes Peak Hill Climb

5. Lex

Lex Member

Sounds like you're making your own assumption, this thread is about the performance of the Model S with a much lighter pack. Range is another matter entirely.