Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Look what I found in Palm Springs. (Hint, bunch of new Model 3's)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks. Angela and I decided we would swing by the Cathedral City service centre and see if there was a model 3 we could look at before heading back to Canada in a couple weeks. We were in luck. There were 3 outside the locked compound and 6 inside the compound. Here are a few pics. We also have serial numbers but are reluctant to post out of respect for the new owners. What is acceptable in this regard. They were low 5000's and a low 6000 for the three we could see.

Also some neat perspective shots with our smart electric drive. The front was lined up perfectly with our smart ED.

I am concerned as to whether it will fit in our rather small town house garage. How much bigger is it than a leaf. I included a picture of the leaf by the door or the garage and an inside shot. Has any other leaf owner upgraded to a Model 3 and gone down that road. It just seems quite a bit wider. Maybe its just an illusion. The leaf makes it with about a foot on either end (to the workbench) and its okay for width but feels tight going through the door...mirrors etc.

Thanks in advance.

John and Angela

39951250831_441516b07d_c.jpg

26078791068_c7ab6b1acb_c.jpg

39951247511_b35cc71006_c.jpg

28171706169_987a2ffb55_c.jpg

28171706269_734ee654a6_c.jpg

28171705949_1fb2cbae45_c.jpg

23900573257_27f9260fe9_c.jpg

28192553533_8bdc3dd7b3_c.jpg

I hope so. We really like the car.

Two things we would like to see it have and can’t find info on it.

1). Heated steering wheel like our Leaf.

2). All round camera view. We saw what looked like cameras on the side but not sure if has the all around view like the Leaf.

Hi Folks. Angela and I decided we would swing by the Cathedral City service centre and see if there was a model 3 we could look at before heading back to Canada in a couple weeks. We were in luck. There were 3 outside the locked compound and 6 inside the compound. Here are a few pics. We also have serial numbers but are reluctant to post out of respect for the new owners. What is acceptable in this regard. They were low 5000's and a low 6000 for the three we could see.

Also some neat perspective shots with our smart electric drive. The front was lined up perfectly with our smart ED.

I am concerned as to whether it will fit in our rather small town house garage. How much bigger is it than a leaf. I included a picture of the leaf by the door or the garage and an inside shot. Has any other leaf owner upgraded to a Model 3 and gone down that road. It just seems quite a bit wider. Maybe its just an illusion. The leaf makes it with about a foot on either end (to the workbench) and its okay for width but feels tight going through the door...mirrors etc.

Thanks in advance.

John and Angela

39951250831_441516b07d_c.jpg

26078791068_c7ab6b1acb_c.jpg

39951247511_b35cc71006_c.jpg

28171706169_987a2ffb55_c.jpg

28171706269_734ee654a6_c.jpg

28171705949_1fb2cbae45_c.jpg

23900573257_27f9260fe9_c.jpg

28192553533_8bdc3dd7b3_c.jpg

Model 3 is a mid-size sedan. It’ll fit. Will fit better if you can free up space on the right where ur roller box/waste container is.

Thanks in advance.

John and Angela

Press Kit | Tesla

The horse's mouth said:
VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS

Dimensions & Weight

Length: 184.8”
Width: 82.2” (76.1” with mirrors folded)
Height: 56.8”

The mirrors fold electrically, but you gotta find them on the screen first. They are smaller than the S and shouldn't be that much of a problem. Only 3 inches on a side.

Who in the world builds garage openings seven feet wide?? Heck, a double patio door is six.

I don’t actually know width of the door and of course we are not there to measure right now. My previous post should have said the model 3 is about 6 inches wider than the Leaf. It should fit. No panic. Heck if we went on the list today my guess is it would be three years to delivery anyway. :)

The mirrors fold on the PUP version I believe, otherwise I don't think so. I imagine they could be manually folded if not auto-folding for car washes etc...but just a guess.

If you're not in the market now, I'm sure you will either be able to do a test drive by then or maybe even have a friend, co-worker or neighbor who has one that can try it out for you. I assume it's a standard garage size? Your car looks so short lengthwise compared to the Model 3 there. You must pack really light on trips, something my husband always complains about with my travel prep.

BTW your photos are fabulous. What a beautiful area of the country, so picturesque. Happy trails home.

Last edited:
Our two-car garage basically built in the early 60's has a 16' door opening. I don't think that's unusual for many two-car garages. With our Model S, that leaves about 6" on each side, and one foot between the two cars, when going in and out - that's with mirrors unfolded. The Model 3 is not much narrower than the S. 6" doesn't sound like much clearance, but is easily trainable, so we usually don't fold the mirrors to go in/out. I'll often come within 1-2" of the garage door frame if I don't line up exactly right, but as long as you go slow you can tell if you might need a do-over.

Inside the garage, it's wider, but basically mine is 19' x 19'. That leaves about 18" in front and back, and 24" to each side. We had to move out nearly every last shelf and storage on both sides and front to be able to open car doors or walk around. Fortunately I had a nearly full-height walk-in crawl space, that I was able to relocate most of the items that were in the garage.

And we STILL have to basically park one car at an angle so you can open SOME of the car doors between them to get in out. The Model 3 may be called a mid-size sedan, but our 3 will replace a mid-size SUV and really is about the same size.

I had a very tight spot for my Model S.
I have to get the front bumper as close as I can to allow enough room to get by on the rear as well as being able to open the rear hatch without hitting the closed garage door or worse getting hit by the garage door as it closes.
My solution was 2 of these from Amazon bolted to the garage floor. (One for each tire)
Works perfect. I roll in until they stop me.
2FDA4AEE-1C06-48D7-B3CB-D1E0D4086CE6.jpeg

86F9FC1F-6B73-45D0-ADA5-44873C157BC4.jpeg

Victus Garage Vehicle Parking Block, Black Heavy Duty Rubber Curb with 6 High Reflective Yellow Targets for Car, Truck, RV and Trailer Stop Aid, 19.7 Inches Long x 4 Inches High https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VLG9YM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bsOBAbK7R2Q7F

Reactions: OnBass and TQCLove