Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for actual weight of aero 18s and optional 19s. Also ride difference. Thx.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang, wondering if somebody has weighed both the stock 18" aero wheels with 235/45/18 tires, and the optional 19s with 235/40/19 tires. I don't personally like the aero wheels, plus they look super heavy to me vs the optional 19s, so maybe the wheel/tire combo weight difference is about the same. Don't want to increase un-sprung weight (in addition to ride harshness), but only a scale could reveal the difference.

I'm also interested in the ride difference. My wife doesn't want it any harsher than the LR Model 3 we rode, which had the aero 18s. Maybe the tires were overinflated, but couldn't confirm it because salesman couldn't find the TPMS info (does it have it?). Hopefully somebody here has personal experience with both, at the same tire pressure :). The difference between a 235/45 and 235/40 shouldn't be that dramatic, but rather ask. Fortunately, I physically checked both tires, and both are 'Grand Touring All-season', so no issues there. But the 18s were Michelin MXM4s, and the 19s were Continental ProContact RX. Thank you in advance for your help.
JC

Last edited:
18’s are much lighter and provide a softer ride due to the increased sidewall height.
  • Weight: 21.6 lbs (Without Aero Cover), 23 lbs (With Aero Cover) Vs 25 lbs for the 19s or 28.75 for the 20’s.
Larger tires also add additional weight.

The stock 18 inch wheels without the Aero covers are a good looking wheel and you can easily add the Aero covers back on for long trips if desired for the increased mileage.

18s for mileage and slightly quieter/softer ride. Potholes not a problem. minuscule better 0-60.
19s for looks, some efficiency ~6% hit
20s for looks tracking and bigger brakes. Don't focus on efficiency. ~8% hit. Potholes will damage rims depending speed/depth.

There are other threads with better efficiency calculations.

Thank you for those answers folks. So the 'aero' looking things are actually covers??? Dind't realize that. Looked for photos of those wheels without the covers, and nothing. Can somebody please post the wheels sans covers? That'd be the perfect solution to this 'problem'. Ha ha. Thank you again.

Just swapped my 18s for 19s....took about 15% hit on mileage. wh/m about 300 now when im good. road noise is ^ too. But its only been about a week since i got the rims so we'll see what the long term averages are

Thank you for those answers folks. So the 'aero' looking things are actually covers??? Dind't realize that. Looked for photos of those wheels without the covers, and nothing. Can somebody please post the wheels sans covers? That'd be the perfect solution to this 'problem'. Ha ha. Thank you again.
Yes, they are covers. Here’s a pic of the 18” Aero wheels with the covers removed.

Tesla sells the center cap and lug nut covers for $50.

F8AD74F0-EFF6-4359-9066-213925C58D4D.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
salesman couldn't find the TPMS info (does it have it?).

The TPMS information is in the "cards" section of the display (page 4 of owner's manual). This is the block of features on the left directly below the visual of your car and by default has icons for rear view camera, charge, and voice commands. Swipe to the left on that portion of the screen in order to see the TPMS.

Here is a picture of where you swipe to get to TPMS and to the trip meter:

FB91BD4F-5820-4373-A0A2-E6972D2E7BCD.jpeg
The TPMS information is in the "cards" section of the display (page 4 of owner's manual). This is the block of features on the left directly below the visual of your car and by default has icons for rear view camera, charge, and voice commands. Swipe to the left on that portion of the screen in order to see the TPMS.

As far as tires/wheels go, I currently have the 18” aero wheels, but am thinking that the 19” aero wheels on the Model Y might make for a good swap, since I’d like a bigger wheel but don’t want a large efficiency hit.

It’s something to think about before purchase. You can get the “free” 18” wheels now and then, I bet it’ll be cheap to get a set of gently used 19” Y wheels in the future.