Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for feedback [on racing stripes on vehicle]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got hit with a really bad rock chip on I-4 which got through the clear coat and color coat. I didn’t feel like spending over $1000 on a new paint job fix so i filled the chip with some of the Tesla touch up paint I purchased last August. It didn’t match at all so I went on Amazon and purchased some vinyl tape. The tape covered the chip but I don’t know how I feel about it. I currently have red seat covers and red calipers so I guess it made sense. It was only $15 and I could remove it whenever I want without any damage to the paint.

Thoughts?

5B8698F5-F9B6-4D42-B515-095425A3CFD2.jpeg
71F37DEA-5DD7-4ECD-8140-8D3AF07EFACE.jpeg

I actually quite like that. If your not feeling it, maybe measure out how far from the left/right of the T the chip is and put out one piece there, then come off the other side with the same measurement and go on that side. Then it would be two lines to the left and right. Just an idea.

How about wrapping or liquid ppfing the hood? you can get a finish that is either identical to the clearcoat on the other nearby body panels or opt for color contrast or finish contrast.

Doing just the hood this way will be significanty less than a good respray.

How about wrapping or liquid ppfing the hood? you can get a finish that is either identical to the clearcoat on the other nearby body panels or opt for color contrast or finish contrast.

Doing just the hood this way will be significanty less than a good respray.
I ordered some gun metal gray wrap and I will be wrapping the hood on Monday. I hope it works out. It was only $46 so why not.

What the heck hit it. Did it dent the hood? Is that how big the original chip was (your pic) - appears to be 1/2 dollar coin size+ or did you try to blend it Making the chip area bigger?

I had super soft paint on my Mini JCW and Genesis coupe, never did I get a chip that large. Personally I would just get the hood resprayed.

Looks like you have a M3P - I’d definitely get that fixed. better to fix it now and enjoy it, than fix it later or take a huge hit before trade in or upgrading.

Send a pic to Colors On Parade (google them) Ocala Fl, I had them fix a dent on the hood of my Jeep in Austin Texas and touch it up - could never tell it was there - less expensive than a body shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX and Kimmi
What the heck hit it. Did it dent the hood? Is that how big the original chip was (your pic) - appears to be 1/2 dollar coin size+ or did you try to blend it Making the chip area bigger?

I had super soft paint on my Mini JCW and Genesis coupe, never did I get a chip that large. Personally I would just get the hood resprayed.

Looks like you have a M3P - I’d definitely get that fixed. better to fix it now and enjoy it, than fix it later or take a huge hit before trade in or upgrading.

Send a pic to Colors On Parade (google them) Ocala Fl, I had them fix a dent on the hood of my Jeep in Austin Texas and touch it up - could never tell it was there - less expensive than a body shop.
Surprising it didn’t dent the hood but I think it looks bigger from me sanding down on the chip and then following up with the Tesla touch up paint followed by a light sanding until I gave up because the color wasn’t blending. I am more than likely just going to cover it up and sand it again before wrapping the hood.

It looks better than it did, but I personally dont like it. I would have just got the hood repaired, or even replaced, rather than doing that. For full disclosure though, I am a person who tends to like things that look "OEM", or "OEM+" look. Meaning, I like complete vehicle wraps that change the color of the car, if they look like they "could have been OEM", but dont tend to like things that dont look like they "could have been installed at the factory".

There is no world where racing stripes "could have been installed at the factory" so there are no racing stripes that would look good to me on a model 3, installed by the owner, or installed by a professional shop would make no difference in that regard to me.

Surprising it didn’t dent the hood but I think it looks bigger from me sanding down on the chip and then following up with the Tesla touch up paint followed by a light sanding until I gave up because the color wasn’t blending. I am more than likely just going to cover it up and sand it again before wrapping the hood.

Ah. It's like a pimple that you should've left alone but now it's a giant splotch haha. If you're going to do a stripe, I say commit and go for a wide one.

I got hit with a really bad rock chip on I-4 which got through the clear coat and color coat. I didn’t feel like spending over $1000 on a new paint job fix so i filled the chip with some of the Tesla touch up paint I purchased last August. It didn’t match at all so I went on Amazon and purchased some vinyl tape. The tape covered the chip but I don’t know how I feel about it. I currently have red seat covers and red calipers so I guess it made sense. It was only $15 and I could remove it whenever I want without any damage to the paint.

Thoughts?

View attachment 826593View attachment 826594
Remove it. Stat.

Paint slowly fades.

If you remove it in a few years, you’ll see a ghost of everywhere the stripes were.

Way worse than living with a paint chip, for goodness’ sake.