TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Looking to buy salvage teslas

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by B_havens0914, Sep 13, 2017.

1. B_havens0914

B_havens0914 Member

I've been thinking, reading, and studying everything about teslas. I want to possibly start buying wrecked teslas and parting them out or fixing them to be Road worthy and reselling them for a profit. I know that repairing a salvaged car can be a lot of work, effort, and time, but I'm trying this. And if it fails, at least I know that it doesn't work. Basically, if you have any wrecked teslas, or teslas that need some work, just let me know. I'll consider making an offer and hopefully we can work something out. I don't really care what the damage is either. Thanks!

2. oktane

oktane Active Member

I'll give you a great deal on this one:

[​IMG]

• Funny x 3
  3. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

#3 KarenRei, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    I wonder if insurance companies might be able to direct some Harvey / Irma cars your way. The frame would be fine, many suspension components, glazing, anything above the water line, etc - possibly even the pack and drivetrain, if the seals held up. You could combine it with parts from a Tesla which was in an accident (aka wrecked frame, suspension, glazing, etc but lots of miscellaneous parts and a likely intact interior); I'd think you might be able to build a complete vehicle out of that.

Floods and accidents cause very different types of damage. Basically, take the flooded car, strip it down, throw away anything that's bad, and replace it with parts from a crashed car. If there's anything that's bad on both, re-order the part (either from Tesla (if you're allowed to), aftermarket (if available), or from another stripped-down vehicle). Any parts that you have left over (aka, were good on both salvages you bought), keep them as spares or sell them for extra cash (might actually be able to turn a profit just on that alone). Sell the wrecked car's frame / panels off as alumium scrap (should get you well more money than steel scrap per unit weight)

• Helpful x 1
  4. B_havens0914

B_havens0914 Member

Funny story. That's kinda why I posted this. I knew that there would many cars like that. I guess great minds think alike lol

5. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

Check out the Carguru on YouTube - he has been doing exactly this for a couple of years and posted step by step instructions.

Good luck!

• Helpful x 1
  6. Cram collision

pic22.jpg pic11.jpg pic33.jpg I just grabbed this early this week at copart. This will be my first attempt at a TESLA:)

7. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Apart from the front end, she's looking pretty nice! How much does a car with that sort of damage cost? It really doesn't look like there's all that much to replace (with an ICE you'd have smashed up the engine ;) )