Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing battery overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn’t seem like a lot of vampire drain you can also turn off cabin overheat protection ..but overall seems fine

OK. Thanks. I also notice that the app toggles between "connected" and "disconnected," even when I'm nowhere near my car. I thought the only time it'd be connected is when you're within close range. Is there a reason it's connecting and disconnecting regularly?

There is an always connected setting as well That is for the car to respond quicker but ib general I don’t turn that off in my X ..cabin overheat and sentry mode use more energy..not sure if u leave car plugged in overnight but even I lose some mileage when plugged in that’s just the nature of the cars ;)..

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I've noticed that I lose about 3 miles of battery overnight. I don't have sentry mode on, but do have a USB installed to record my cameras.

Is it normal for the battery to drain like this overnight even though the car is shut off?

Yes, the car will lose somewhere between 3-5 miles a day, under normal circumstances, with no sentry mode on, etc.

Sentry mode drains 1-2 miles an hour, so you will know if you left it on or not.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Normal, if annoying.

3 rated miles is about 700Wh. Over a 10h period, that's about 70W average. My testing has showed that when plugged in, between the car waking and sleeping and doing its thing, it consumes an effective average of 60W. Given the lack of precise data, that's within rounding error for your case and it seems perfectly normal.

In my experience, you can significantly reduce this by leaving the car unplugged. It then averages out to about 11-14W in my testing, no idea why. Note that this is against the manual's recommendation though.

That's very interesting camalaio, thanks. There is a (small) saving to be had when not plugging daily. The manual says to let it plugged in for long periods without using it, so that it doesn't get too low. It doesn't make it mandatory to plug in all the time :) At least that's my interpretation.

If you are driving everyday, it seems to drain more overnight when not plugged in. If you leave it for a longer period of time it drains less. It goes to a deeper sleep. I recently went on a trip and didn't drive for 15-16 days and it only drained around 4%. Last December went on a trip for 29 days and only lost 9% but I had instances I lost 2% overnight as well when I am driving everyday. So it doesn't always drain the same amount.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I've noticed that I lose about 3 miles of battery overnight. I don't have sentry mode on,
but do have a USB installed to record my cameras.

Is it normal for the battery to drain like this overnight even though the car is shut off?
Don't the USB plug get shut down when the car goes to sleep, unless you keep Sentry on?

Note: Last time I kept my car unplugged for a longer time, I loose 6% over 2 weeks,
parked indoor a garage at about 50 F at night and 60 F during the day.

So 6% of 300 miles is 18 miles for 14 days or 1.28 miles a day.

I turned off Sentry, Alarm, and Summon (from the AutoPilot menu).

Reactions: lUtriaNt