Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing many miles, per mile driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m driving a new to me, 2015 MS70D .. had it just two weeks, have not driven it much bc I haven’t worked much .. now, it’s 27mi to work, 28 mi back .. but driving at approx 70 avg speed, with AC on .. I lose almost 40mi over the 27 mi distance, seems a loss of 13+ mi per trip. I don’t have any service history for it, but I have a SC appt to replace/upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 on the 11th. idk if I can ask them to chk the battery for a fault, or loss, or .. idk, bad cell? When I got it home after the purchase, it connected to WiFi and updated to 2020.24.6.11 first thing .. so idk if the update caused it, or if it’s a bad battery pack, or what. If I’m correct, a 2015 still has 3yr battery warranty left?
Any thoughts as to what to check or .. something?
Thanks

Paula

Welcome to the forum and ownership.

Long story short, there is nothing wrong with your battery and Tesla is not going to do anything useful for you to address the concerns you note.

Realize that EPA rated miles are an approximation of actual range and generally only achievable over single long trips on flat ground in temperate weather at what the EPA considers “highway speeds” of 55-60 mph.

I notice you’re in Phoenix - your car is no doubt using substantial energy to cool itself (and you) down. The air conditioner running full tilt can draw near 4kw. That’s particularly apparent at the beginning of each trip when the car is heat soaked from having sat for a while.

You’ll likely notice better efficiency in the winter when things cool off a bit.

Enjoy the car!

... and yes, your car should be covered under the 8 year unlimited mile battery warranty until some time in 2023. Note however that this warranty does NOT cover any amount of degradation or range loss.

I’m driving a new to me, 2015 MS70D .. had it just two weeks, have not driven it much bc I haven’t worked much .. now, it’s 27mi to work, 28 mi back .. but driving at approx 70 avg speed, with AC on .. I lose almost 40mi over the 27 mi distance, seems a loss of 13+ mi per trip. I don’t have any service history for it, but I have a SC appt to replace/upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 on the 11th. idk if I can ask them to chk the battery for a fault, or loss, or .. idk, bad cell? When I got it home after the purchase, it connected to WiFi and updated to 2020.24.6.11 first thing .. so idk if the update caused it, or if it’s a bad battery pack, or what. If I’m correct, a 2015 still has 3yr battery warranty left?
Any thoughts as to what to check or .. something?
Thanks

Paula

Working as intended. - Probably tesla

Reactions: Buschik
Realize that EPA rated miles are an approximation of actual range and generally only achievable over single long trips on flat ground in temperate weather at what the EPA considers “highway speeds” of 55-60 mph.

I notice you’re in Phoenix - your car is no doubt using substantial energy to cool itself (and you) down. The air conditioner running full tilt can draw near 4kw. That’s particularly apparent at the beginning of each trip when the car is heat soaked from having sat for a while.
EPA range ratings at 70 mph even w/o AC isn't realistic. It's too fast and energy consumption is too high.

And yeah, Phoenix is crazy hot so AC energy consumption is going to be high. Google weather says it's 102 F (38.9 C) right now at 10:40 pm Pacific time. Looks like forecast highs for rest of week are 108 F (42.2 C) or higher and low temps are 86+ F (30 C).

OP can look at Car battery: 340 miles. I drove 280. Came home with 5 miles left? for more pointers about EPA tests and note as I wrote there "The highest average speed of ANY of the test cycles is only 48.4 mph."

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
EPA range ratings at 70 mph even w/o AC isn't realistic. It's too fast and energy consumption is too high.

yea this is tesla we're talking about, where the motto is over promise and under-deliver!

did you think this was a porsche taycan?! "Dan Edmunds, recently drove a Taycan 4S well beyond the EPA rating of 203 miles per charge. There was a detour due to a road closure, which extended the normal route from 209.2 miles to 213.5 miles. Still, Edmunds finished with an estimated range of 87 miles, for a combined range of 300.5 miles.

Porsche Taycan Range Test Crushes EPA Rating: This Time Gets 300-Mile Range

Reactions: cwerdna
^^^
I can't speak to Taycan and Edmunds testing, but it frankly isn't realistic to expect achieve EPA range rating at 70 mph on level ground on most EVs, especially with heavy AC usage.

Sure, at considerably lower speeds, the EPA range can easily be exceeded (e.g. 132.0 miles until dead an '11 Leaf (73 mile EPA range rating) at 35 mph: Driving It To The Bitter End - 2011 Nissan Leaf Long-Term Road Test).

Thanks so much for the info .. yeah, I chose to to live here .. silly me .. but I love the Surface .. erm, sorry, meant .. the Valley .. Valley of the Sun ;) especially in Winter .. ahhhh, nothing like 70F on Christmas Day ;) and yeah, with 33 consecutive days of Temps above 110F, (it was 118F in Phoenix Thursday, smashed all-time record for that day, by 3F) it's been .. um .. warm.. and AC runs at least @ 6-7 blower.

.. I realize it's going to take a while to learn my car's traits in the Desert. My wife's 2018 75D does sooooo much better round trip to the airport (where I work) so the alarming drop in miles (I know, I know, I should use % instead of miles remaining) is unnerving .. just going to have to watch it for a while. Only good thing, is a SC spot is along the route, so if it drops reeeally low (Nav says I can full charge, round-trip it, with 52% left) so I can stop in and top off (well, daily drive top off, abt 190mi) if I need to.

Again, thanks for the insights!

Paula