Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing Max miles on full charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR your battery will indeed lose capacity over time but also some of what you are seeing can be due to charging habits if you charge to less than 90%. IT's a trade off between what's best for the battery and what's best to allow the BMS to estimate capacity.

REALLY TL;DR. Plug it in and charge it to 90% and don't worry about it.

Reactions: Matsayz
@robl45

My 9/2019 LR AWD is the same as yours. Got 279 (@90%) when new, down to 260 this spring, got a couple back this summer (warmer temps). Only 5200 miles on the car, never charged to 100% and only supercharged twice. Lifetime wh/mi is 255. Electric car batteries degrade over time. Way too early to know how the car will do long-term. I keep my cars about 10 years. At some point it won't be useable for road trips (particularly in winter). I'll drive my Audi instead. Terrific daily driver around town though. More than enough range for that.

Reactions: Arctic_White
I never charge to 100%. the data that you see from my earlier post is from the Tesla Stats app and is an estimate of battery health at 100% SOC. as a rule, I charge to 80% and stay in 20-80% range.

Thanks for that. Since you never charge to 100%, try charging it to 100% and drive immediately after. There should be no negative impact if you drive within an hour after the charging session fully completes. I think this is good to do 2 - 3 times a year for battery balancing / calibration reasons.