Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full charge getting to 87% [car charges to 266 miles]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

My Model 3 was registered in Jan 2023 and has a max range of 305 miles (WLTP). It’s done 3,000 miles and has 19” alloys.

I set the car to charge to 100% and when it completes, the range is just 266 miles.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Is it an LFP rear wheel drive ?....ignore WLTP it’s just a fantasy...the car uses EPA...(very approximately EPA is 90% of WLTP)...also 19 in rims will reduce range.
If it won’t charge past 89% then it’s got a problem and you need to contact Tesla

Last edited:
Hi all

My Model 3 was registered in Jan 2023 and has a max range of 305 miles (WLTP). It’s done 3,000 miles and has 19” alloys.

I set the car to charge to 100% and when it completes, the range is just 266 miles.

Any advice greatly appreciated
It never showed 305 miles. It never shows WLTP.

WLTP is often about 10% higher than EPA.
The car shows the range bases on the EPA consumption.

As others have said, if it won't charge past 87%, put in a service ticket. As for miles, set your display to % and forget about it.

I doubt that it charges to 87%. It is HIGHLY likely that it charges to the EPA range, and the OP simply did the math to extrapolate that figure from the difference in WLTP range and EPA range. This OP just bought a demo vehicle per the only other post they have here on TMC, so is likely getting used to this stuff.

Im not in the OPs area but am fairly sure I have seen multiple threads about "doesnt show WLTP range" and the cars there dont show that number (probably because its more unrealistic than the already unrealistic USA EPA range). 266 for a RWD vehicle (which is rated for 267) sounds extremely normal and correct, and there is almost assuredly nothing for the OP to do here.

Reactions: Rocky_H
. 266 for a RWD vehicle (which is rated for 267) sounds extremely normal and correct
While that is the case for the non-EPA range with 19" wheels, I'd still expect 272 to be the max in the car regardless of wheel selection.

There have been claims made that for this vehicle the range displayed does depend on the wheel selection, I haven't seen the evidence for that (it would be very easy for that to be produced, and sorry if I missed the post with that info). At the moment the only Model 3 vehicle that changes rated range display based on wheel selection that I'm aware of is the 2020 Performance. Again, not saying that is the only one, it's just the only one I'm aware of.

But in any case 266 rated miles out of 272 (not 267) for a vehicle from January 2023 is also very normal; just a couple % capacity loss according to the BMS estimate.

If anyone has evidence that the wheel selection does make a difference for RWD definitely post it (basically just have to change wheel selection and show the 100% charge level with each wheel selection).

While that is the case for the non-EPA range with 19" wheels, I'd still expect 272 to be the max in the car regardless of wheel selection.

There have been claims made that for this vehicle the range displayed does depend on the wheel selection, I haven't seen the evidence for that (it would be very easy for that to be produced, and sorry if I missed the post with that info). At the moment the only Model 3 vehicle that changes rated range display based on wheel selection that I'm aware of is the 2020 Performance.
Model 3 P 2021 (min bugged out but a few others do change range with wheels)
Again, not saying that is the only one, it's just the only one I'm aware of.

But in any case 266 rated miles out of 272 (not 267) for a vehicle from January 2023 is also very normal; just a couple % capacity loss according to the BMS estimate.

If anyone has evidence that the wheel selection does make a difference for RWD definitely post it (basically just have to change wheel selection and show the 100% charge level with each wheel selection).

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Model 3 P 2021 (min bugged out but a few others do change range with wheels
Yes, aware of this, since you've mentioned it before, but unclear to me whether it is intentional or not since you've also mentioned it's buggy. So for now I've been disregarding this until I'm made aware by someone that it is all working perfectly correctly.

Reactions: AAKEE