Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lotus EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Zytek from '97 count?

If we're allowing the Dodge Lotus mule then I don't see why not. Interesting article and could help explain why Lotus were so interested in Martin's proposal six years later.

"Our aim is to make electric cars desirable, not just necessary through government mandate," says Bill Gibson, a director of Zytek Automotive, the West Midlands company behind the project. "The Lotus Elise forms an ideal test bed for high-performance electric-vehicle technology."

The Lotus Elise was chosen for the project because its strong, lightweight construction is similar to a racing car, and hence complications such as power-assisted brakes and steering could be avoided, while even the additional weight of the battery packs would still not result in an overly heavy vehicle.

The final weight is about 875kg, giving an estimated 0-60mph time of 6 1/2 seconds, and a 30-70mph overtaking time of 5 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited to 90mph to conserve power and extend the range to 120 miles. A one-hour charge will replace 95% of battery power.

The only other one I can think of is with ZAP, but that's a fake.

There's the Ken Okuyama K.08
k.08-front.jpg

The Detroit Electric
610x.jpg

The Dale Vince "Wind car" project.
ecotricity-exige-episode-3.jpg

Does the Zytek from '97 count?
The Sunday Times: Innovation:
This one is pretty cool. I just stumbled across it yesterday. I wonder if there are any surviving samples of that kicking about.

Hmm... What's Lotus really up to? Could a "mild hybrid V8 Esprit" be their rumored "EV?". Will they also do a series hybrid ("REEV") or full BEV version of the Evora? I guess we have to wait until March (Geneva show) to really find out.

With Tesla out of my price range, and the Esprit sounding very upmarket, I hope they do something a bit more affordable. An Evora with a Toyota Synergy drive drivetrain could be interesting if they did that.

Lotus Targets Tesla With EV of Its Own | Autopia from Wired.com
Lotus, the iconic British automaker that helped Tesla Motors and Chrysler develop their electric cars, is building a high-performance battery-powered sports car of its own and says we could see a prototype in March.
Lotus could convert an Evora with relative ease: It's a 2+2 with a mid-engine design, so there is plenty of room for a battery pack if Lotus yanks out the back seat like BMW did with the Mini-E. It's also a sleek, sexy car that would make EVs appealing to the sports-car set.
...the electric Lotus may debut at the Geneva auto show in March.

Still no actual announcement of the Lotus EV or Hybrid?