Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud "helicopter" sound from fan below frunk (cold weather)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently noticed a whirling helicopter sound coming from a fan under the frunk. Does anyone know what causes this sound, and if it's a legitimate issue? I recorded it and posted it on youtube (see below link)

The sound happens when the heat/climate system turns off after closing the door. Prior to this, the car had been sitting in my garage, plugged in, for about 24 hours in cold weather (approx 20-40 degrees). The sound was first noticed after warming up the car, then opening and shutting the driver door.

This seems like the same sound described by @plisken in this post:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I recently noticed a whirling helicopter sound coming from a fan under the frunk. Does anyone know what causes this sound, and if it's a legitimate issue? I recorded it and posted it on youtube (see below link)

The sound happens when the heat/climate system turns off after closing the door. Prior to this, the car had been sitting in my garage, plugged in, for about 24 hours in cold weather (approx 20-40 degrees). The sound was first noticed after warming up the car, then opening and shutting the driver door.

This seems like the same sound described by @plisken in this post:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Just heard the same thing today from my M3. It was outside and the temp was 16F so hoping it is just ice.

Upvote 0
Yeah I think this was just ice buildup. I started to hear the sound less and less as I continued to drive (probably from the battery and components being warmer), then it eventually went away completely once my garage got above freezing temperatures.

Upvote 0