Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud Metallic Click Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my AWD LR MY for a few weeks now. Have less than 800 miles. Recently noticed that the car makes a loud (very noticable with the windows down) metallic click sound when I accelerate from a near stop. I can reproduce the click pretty consistently, and it also does it sometimes when decelerating or accelerating at higher speeds.

Searching here and google makes me think I might have the "rear axle click" issue some model 3 owners had (something about things not being torqued down properly).

Has anyone else had this issue with their MY?

I've made a service center appointment but they don't have anything for like a month.

UPDATE:

After a few unsuccessful mobile service visits, they finally fixed my issue at the service center. Here's what I learned in case anyone else has this issue.

The metallic clicking sound I was hearing was the rear axle click issue that a lot of model 3 owners had. Apparently, sometimes the axle nut doesn't get tightened enough, sometimes the washer gets broken, sometimes the factory doesn't properly lubricate where the axle meets the hub, or sometimes it's a combination of those issues.

In my case, tightening and replacing the nut alone didn't help. They wound up replacing the nut and the washer, and lubricating axle/hub connection and that finally resolved the issue.

Had my AWD LR MY for a few weeks now. Have less than 800 miles. Recently noticed that the car makes a loud (very noticable with the windows down) metallic click sound when I accelerate from a near stop. I can reproduce the click pretty consistently, and it also does it sometimes when decelerating or accelerating at higher speeds.

Searching here and google makes me think I might have the "rear axle click" issue some model 3 owners had (something about things not being torqued down properly).

Has anyone else had this issue with their MY?

I've made a service center appointment but they don't have anything for like a month.
Yep, exact same issue here. Service appointment in two weeks to address this and some other items.

UPDATE:

After a few unsuccessful mobile service visits, they finally fixed my issue at the service center. Here's what I learned in case anyone else has this issue.

The metallic clicking sound I was hearing was the rear axle click issue that a lot of model 3 owners had. Apparently, sometimes the axle nut doesn't get tightened enough, sometimes the washer gets broken, sometimes the factory doesn't properly lubricate where the axle meets the hub, or sometimes it's a combination of those issues.

In my case, tightening and replacing the nut alone didn't help. They wound up replacing the nut and the washer, and lubricating axle/hub connection and that finally resolved the issue.
Hi!

thanks for sharing this. i think i have the same issue. I took it to a SC and they could not resolve it or identify it.

thanks , i will take note and tell them with the next service appoitment

regards

UPDATE:

Had the same issue and they lubed up my axle and it was resolved for the most part.

Reactions: Daniel LO